2004 WJ Fishing Rig

• HTML tutorial

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Starting to work on the 04 WJ that was passed down to me from my wife when she got her new GC. My DD is an F150 so this Jeep was essentially a "spare".

We live in Vermont and are covered up in national forest with forest roads running along lots of mountain streams full of trout that I chase all summer. So, this week I started converting the WJ into a rig set up for running those roads to fishing holes and camping spots.

The first bit was just getting the mechanicals back up to snuff as it has mostly sat for the last couple years. New battery, headlights, brakes and rotors, engine tune up, fluid swaps all the way around. I also started working on a cabinet with slide outs for the back that'll hold a cooler, camp stove, and an extra drawer for kitchen and fishing gear. Tent slides right in behind it and still leaves a ton of room for stuff as the back seats will be down all the time.

It'll need new tires soon so I think I'll upsize from the stock 235-65-17's that have always been on it and maybe do a lift around 2ish inches. I don't do real wheeling but a bit of extra clearance wouldn't hurt on some of the tracks I run in early spring with the snow melt washing some parts away.

I'll get some pics up soon, just not much interesting to show when changing spark plugs...

KP

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Starting to work on the 04 WJ that was passed down to me from my wife when she got her new GC. My DD is an F150 so this Jeep was essentially a "spare".

We live in Vermont and are covered up in national forest with forest roads running along lots of mountain streams full of trout that I chase all summer. So, this week I started converting the WJ into a rig set up for running those roads to fishing holes and camping spots.

The first bit was just getting the mechanicals back up to snuff as it has mostly sat for the last couple years. New battery, headlights, brakes and rotors, engine tune up, fluid swaps all the way around. I also started working on a cabinet with slide outs for the back that'll hold a cooler, camp stove, and an extra drawer for kitchen and fishing gear. Tent slides right in behind it and still leaves a ton of room for stuff as the back seats will be down all the time.

It'll need new tires soon so I think I'll upsize from the stock 235-65-17's that have always been on it and maybe do a lift around 2ish inches. I don't do real wheeling but a bit of extra clearance wouldn't hurt on some of the tracks I run in early spring with the snow melt washing some parts away.

I'll get some pics up soon, just not much interesting to show when changing spark plugs...

KP
I'm following this because I think we have a similar idea with our '04 WJ's. Check out my thread in my signature if you're looking for ideas, or have questions!

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Parts are all in, looks like I have a plan for this Saturday. I'll be up and at it as soon as day breaks.

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Got a little jump on the work and managed to get the front lift installed between rain showers today.

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Man, what a day. replaced rear control arms while I was doing the rear lift. That upper was a bear with everything rusted up. Got it done, but now there's no part of me that doesn't hurt... Finished it up in the dark so maybe seeing it done in the light tomorrow will help shake off the sore muscles.

KPMetrics

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vermont
Member #

Replacing the rotted out fuel tank skid plate today. Got the old one pulled off yesterday and addressed some chassis rust. New one going in today.
Thinking of hitting it with truck bed liner to maybe try to delay the rock chip rust cycle.
Any opinions on whether that'll help?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Replacing the rotted out fuel tank skid plate today. Got the old one pulled off yesterday and addressed some chassis rust. New one going in today.
Thinking of hitting it with truck bed liner to maybe try to delay the rock chip rust cycle.
Any opinions on whether that'll help?
I know this is on my radar as well. Best thing I can suggest is some serious prep and paint. I hear good things about POR15 ( I could be wrong). I have used a cold galvanizing compound in the past and that has seemed to slow down rust as well since I believe the rust either attacks the zinc first, or it does just resist the rust. I can't say for sure, but I have used it before and it seems to do wonders for prevention and stopping the spread of rust. And you can top coat it as needed.