Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Not wanting crazy weight, but not wanting to spend crazy money either so I am making my own. Center section is a pre made Westin winch tray made out of 1/4 inch steel. The sides that I am making to bolt onto it will be made of aluminum. Think I am going to go with 3/16. Not wanting to cut the frame so I am making the mounts so they can be bolted onto factory locations. All mounts will be made of 1/4 steel.IMG_1522.JPGIMG_1525.JPGIMG_1523.JPG

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
IMG_1550.JPGIMG_1553.JPG

Rain day progress, drilled the four mounting holes for the front before I headed out to get the kids. Will be making the center section tomorrow. Once it is all welded up I will drill the four side mount holes. Noticed in the picture the holes seem off. Think it’s an optical allusion since two are 10mm and two are 12 mm.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Very nice work, Well planned, material thickness is right for the purpose. I've seen many winch mounts built out of 1/4" steel bolted to 1/8" steel, and they can't figure out why the bolt tore through the frame. Again a nice design, Ron

Reactions: Tundra thompson

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
IMG_1571.JPGIMG_1576.JPGIMG_1573.JPGIMG_1574.JPG
A little work before date night. Center section is 2x2 1/4 inch, notched the ends to allow the plates to slide into it. I like the idea of having a safety God forbid a weld breaks. Center will also have supports welding to the bottom. Time to clean up the cuts and get to tacking!!!

Attachments

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
IMG_1577.JPGIMG_1579.JPGIMG_1578.JPG
Decided to go ahead and cut the angles for the Westin winch mount. Need to cut them in half, then cut the square holes out. The main support will run through the center of the 2x3 tubing with an inch of over hang on the back. Again a safety in case a weld should break.

Reactions: ohiowrangler

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Progress today, did do much because I was side tracked picking a topper up. Couldn’t pass it up for 50.00. Tacked everything up and now heading to use the Big gun welder IMG_1587.JPGIMG_1586.JPGIMG_1585.JPGIMG_1583.JPG

Reactions: Smileyshaun

JPaul

Rank V

Pioneer I

Mendon, UT, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1JPA
Progress today, did do much because I was side tracked picking a topper up. Couldn’t pass it up for 50.00. Tacked everything up and now heading to use the Big gun welder View attachment 92291
Looking at it from this angle you are going to want to add gussets from the rectangle tube under the winch mount to the chassis mounting brackets, or if those are too far in, gusset directly to the Westin cradle. Otherwise you're very likely to find that it will fold over when you go to use the winch, especially if your cable/rope is at a downward angle relative to the nose of your truck. The angle the brackets are mitered into the 1/4" square tube will help, but that is still an awful lot of force for it to try to resist without bending the mounting brackets.

Looking good otherwise.

Reactions: Tundra thompson

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Looking at it from this angle you are going to want to add gussets from the rectangle tube under the winch mount to the chassis mounting brackets, or if those are too far in, gusset directly to the Westin cradle. Otherwise you're very likely to find that it will fold over when you go to use the winch, especially if your cable/rope is at a downward angle relative to the nose of your truck. The angle the brackets are mitered into the 1/4" square tube will help, but that is still an awful lot of force for it to try to resist without bending the mounting brackets.

Looking good otherwise.
Have gussets cut to go from the face of the plate over to the center tube and under the winch tray that bolt to it. Also have gussets that will go from the back of the center tube and over to the side of the mount. There will be two gussets on the inside of the mount as well. Good looking out! It is just mocked up at this point wanted something covering the big opening in front of the radiator. Lots of rocks flying around here

Reactions: JPaul

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
A little more progress today. Welded up the cross support on the top and the middle section. The brace will run up to winch mount and down to the center support. The skid plate will bolt onto these sections IMG_1673.JPGIMG_1675.JPGIMG_1677.JPG

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Winch mount is complete and bolted in place. Made one of two skid plates today. Propped it up so you guy can get an idea of where I am going with it. After it is mounted I will complete my rear bumper and then go back to the front bumper and finish the aluminum sides IMG_1694.JPGIMG_1686.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1689.JPGIMG_1691.JPG

Tundra thompson

Rank III

Contributor III

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Have been doing a lot of camping and enjoying the weather, but the rear should be done this weekend in time for my next trip on the twentieth