2004 Lexus GX470 Air bag delete

• HTML tutorial

Walker5168

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys,

Wanted to post and see if anyone on here has any experience replacing the air ride on the rear of this car and replacing it with the spring kits? I've looked it up and it looks shockingly easy. Mechanic wants 1500 to do it. But as a pretty moderate mechanic myself I don't see any reason why I can't tackle this job in the garage. Does anyone here have any advice or know much about this swap?

Thanks!
Chris

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have never done that on a 470 but, if the vehicle in Toyota or Lexus came with rear coils, it should be easy. Look at the mounting, you need a round platform or plate, top and bottom for the coil. You may want to e-mail a couple of lift companies that sell suspension for your vehicle. If the springs just install great, if you need an adapter plate kit, then you know they just don't bolt in. Ive installed a bunch of coils over the years. Disconnect the shock, sway bar, push down one side and they almost install themselves.

Scott

DannyR53

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Upland, CA, USA
Member #

How is it going? I pulled the trigger on the rear conversion a little over a year on my rig. I went with the Southern Style Kit with FJ cruiser rear springs. Overall the swap/install wasn't so bad, the only issue I ran into was trying to put the rear coils in place. I ended up using a spring compressor to get it in.

Danny

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How is it going? I pulled the trigger on the rear conversion a little over a year on my rig. I went with the Southern Style Kit with FJ cruiser rear springs. Overall the swap/install wasn't so bad, the only issue I ran into was trying to put the rear coils in place. I ended up using a spring compressor to get it in.
The video said it all. Most of the work I've from like that was about that easy.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have never done that on a 470 but, if the vehicle in Toyota or Lexus came with rear coils, it should be easy. Look at the mounting, you need a round platform or plate, top and bottom for the coil. You may want to e-mail a couple of lift companies that sell suspension for your vehicle. If the springs just install great, if you need an adapter plate kit, then you know they just don't bolt in. Ive installed a bunch of coils over the years. Disconnect the shock, sway bar, push down one side and they almost install themselves.

Scott
Saw someone with a Lincoln navigator, do the same change when a rear unit went bad. It was cheaper to convert it a standard suspension model, than repairing the bad unit. This of course assumes the vehicle in question had both options offered OEM.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Danny
ran into that issue....but I thought on it....and I figure, if u can use a long pry bar in the top of the axle bump stop that's frame mounted, and the tire, u can push that axle down a LOT more.....and WHALLA! Spring dropped on out!!

Now utilizing Bilstiend 1.75" springs in the rear. Pre planned to run the 2.5" Fox rears, which are 0-1.5" thus the shorter spring. In the mean time, I'm running some bilstein 5100s and fox 2.5s with adjusters up front. any questions feel free to ask!

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Hey guys,

Wanted to post and see if anyone on here has any experience replacing the air ride on the rear of this car and replacing it with the spring kits? I've looked it up and it looks shockingly easy. Mechanic wants 1500 to do it. But as a pretty moderate mechanic myself I don't see any reason why I can't tackle this job in the garage. Does anyone here have any advice or know much about this swap?

Thanks!
Chris
Grab the metaltech4x4 kit with isolators (or the kit and grab isolators off amazon with the 4.7 4runner part number). Hardest parts is "deleting" the electrical connections Lol. Pretty basic for sure.
After that any 03-09 4runner/Prado kit or components will work. Highly recommend fox/king with Total Chaos arms and links. I run bilstien rear spring and shocks and fox up front with chaos arms, Love the ride. any other questions feel free to ask