Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Well I figured I would post my build here!

Started with a 2004 honda pilot in silver with 209k miles. Then I scored another 2004 pilot with 182k miles that had been in a fender bender. Currently im fixing the crash damage and stitch welding some of the front end sheet metal for strength. I'm contemplating tires. I'm looking for more of a mud tire I think. Ive found a good deal on interco irok nd in 245/75R16

Items ordered

2.5"/2" lift with camber adjusters off ebay

Snorkel from XJ jeep cherokee to mod to fit drivers side

Hayden 405 transmission cooler
0119201519.jpg0119201518.jpg0104201605.jpg0118201409a~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Thanks AggieOE I think so too. We'll see if the vtm-4 system is up for the challenge. I was looking for something cheap, dependable and comfortable that my wife and 5 mo old could enjoy also.

Reactions: TexasGMG

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Got in the snorkel today! Just a test fit for the time being but the jeep xj snorkel looks like with some minor heating with the heat gun will work great.

Attachments

Reactions: TexasGMG

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

@Jostr...Looks like you found your Pilot. Great color and I like the plans so far. The VTM-4 system works great but I recommend an auxiliary trans cooler since you have it apart. The Achilles heel of that Pilot generation is the trans/radiator but these two examples have proven that to be mistaken. Check the LCA bushings / BJ while you got it apart too.

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
@aggrex I got a very large trans cooler going in completely removing stock in rad cooler. Luckily struts, shocks, brakes and ball joints were all done 2k miles before the previous owner got hit.

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Alittle bit of an update today. I've been working on the collision damage almost ready to put front end back on. While I had it off figured id do timing belt/ water pump.
Got half of the lift done 2.5" spacer on springs and struts. Still have to put on 1" subframe drop from HRG engineering. 0125200749a.jpg0125200749.jpg0215201623a.jpg0215201623.jpg

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Our very first Overland Rig was a 2005 Honda Pilot EX that was nothing short of great! indeed she died from the transmission as they all do but was that little suv reliable! Watching your build reminds me so much of all the great places we adventured to in that car. Adding the external trans cooler is a great idea, thats going to keep that tranny cool and shell run forever!

Reactions: Jostr

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Our very first Overland Rig was a 2005 Honda Pilot EX that was nothing short of great! indeed she died from the transmission as they all do but was that little suv reliable! Watching your build reminds me so much of all the great places we adventured to in that car. Adding the external trans cooler is a great idea, thats going to keep that tranny cool and shell run forever!
Any tips on setup on the rig?

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Had some spare time today to fab up a rear skid plate. Only problem was no metal brake to bend it. Had to use the old tractor and a stump method...0307201541a.jpg0307201535.jpg

Reactions: aggrex

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks! To alleviate CV axle angle concerns when lifting the Pilot the HRG subframe spacers should do the trick. Are the spacers only for the front subframe? Went to the HRG website and found the Pilot lift kit. Do you have the part# for the subframe spacers?

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
Thanks! To alleviate CV axle angle concerns when lifting the Pilot the HRG subframe spacers should do the trick. Are the spacers only for the front subframe? Went to the HRG website and found the Pilot lift kit. Do you have the part# for the subframe spacers?
Yeah the HRG spacers are for front and rear sub frame. There isnt currently a kit for pilots, mine was a test fit for them. If you contact Ben or Jonathan and tell him Josh Adams sent you for the pilot spacer kit they'll get ya hooked up.

Reactions: aggrex

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
This is awesome! I love this gen of Pilot (aside from the trans issues, but you have the skills to address that if anything happens)

I'm very surprised to see one being modded in such a way.

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
This is awesome! I love this gen of Pilot (aside from the trans issues, but you have the skills to address that if anything happens)

I'm very surprised to see one being modded in such a way.
Thanks, I own a small independent repair shop. So this build kinda kills two birds, sweet shop truck/ weekend rig.

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah the HRG spacers are for front and rear sub frame. There isnt currently a kit for pilots, mine was a test fit for them. If you contact Ben or Jonathan and tell him Josh Adams sent you for the pilot spacer kit they'll get ya hooked up.
Thanks for the pics! Placed my order for the sub-frame spacer kit and told them Josh A sent me ...LOL..... Anyone interested HRG was great to work with and there is a discount code good until April 30th

Reactions: Jostr

Jostr

Rank I

Contributor III

Monroe nc
First Name
josh
Last Name
adams
It's been a busy few days. Final got around to finish welding the rock sliders. I started straightening the front end, I've been pushing this off as long as possible!20200402_165907.jpg20200401_172132.jpg20200402_195804.jpg20200402_195829.jpg20200401_172149.jpg