2004 Forester X "The Blueberry"

• HTML tutorial

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Backstory: After the engine let go in my Tahoe, we decided that (with everything else that would probably need to be addressed) it was not wise to keep dumping money into what was quickly becoming a pit. So we started looking for a "new" vehicle that would be safe, reliable, fuel efficient (which wouldn't take much to beat the Tahoe in that category), and still be functional for our adventures. So, long story short, we found this 2004 Forester X. It's higher on the mileage, but it was really well taken care of by the original owner. She sold it to a family because she was getting a newer one. The family we bought it from didn't even have it a year and were letting go of it because they had too many vehicles. And now it's ours.

Alright, enough talk... here it is. This is the day we brought it home.

And, yes, I already have a list of things that I'm lining up to do with/to the Forester. So this might actually turn into a proper build-thread. For now, though, it's just nice to have a solid vehicle that we're excited to own.

Here's a link to the Instagram profile where I'll be tracking the adventures and things that are done: https://www.instagram.com/forester_whitaker/

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Read on other forums about how hard it is to replace the bulb for the fog lamps... This has to be one of the easiest bulbs to replace.

1. Move plastic shroud out of the way.
2. Quarter-turn and the back of the housing/seal comes off.
3. Move the retainer that holds the bulb in place.
4. Disconnect bulb and remove from housing.
Insert bulb and do the above 3-1 in reverse.

Maybe 5-10 minutes to replace the bulb.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

It's not much, but here's a couple shots of The Blueberry out doing its thing.

Found a spot on the side of a road and decided to see how well things work in stock form. I'm very impressed with the capability and confidence of the Forester. This shot doesn't really show the angle of the terrain very well. I have found a few instances where a 2" lift will definitely be nice to have. Don't really need to worry about that at the moment, though.

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

I'd love to see how this build is going. Ive also got an 04 Fozzie X (my girl uses it as her daily) that I'm thinking of modding up a bit.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I had a ton of fun in mine so many fun memories , took it a few places I really shouldn't have lol but it always got me home. Gave it to my niece as a 16th birthday present so she would have something very safe to drive and unfortunately wrecked it , she was perfectly safe so it served it's purpose .IMG_8491.JPG IMG_20160216_094039.jpg Screenshot_20171226-133844.jpg

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Been a while since I've logged on...

As far as updates go for The Blueberry... well, there's not really much to tell. Everything at this point is still about maintenance and keeping it reliable. Just not much in the way of a "build" taking place. However, we did take it on its inaugural camping trip back in October. And, since then, have also figured out that my wife and I can sleep in the back with the seats down.

Did the first oil change about a month or so ago. Super easy job... especially when you remember which direction to spin the filter off. A directionally-challenged moment under a vehicle can make a simple job a little more interesting/frustrating. Had to laugh at myself afterward.

Now that the temperature has dropped outside, I"m beginning to notice some other things that may need to be addressed. Raw fuel smell in the cabin when the heater is turned on [this is apparently fairly common], and a hissing sound from the driver side [most likely a leak near the brake booster].

I did take it in to a local Subaru dealer after it started to randomly shudder when slowing to a stop and idling. Had a couple experience with the A/T Temp light coming on and flashing. They cleaned off the wiring harness connections to the transmission and also changed the front diff fluid (apparently, someone before me had used the wrong fluid). It's shuddered a couple times since.

The only other driveability issue has been on the highway above 55-60mph. If you accelerate to merge or pass, it does a really hard shift and the left front locks for a split second. You can hear the tire chirp and it sounds/feels like something should break... that's not exactly assuring when you're in a turn. (This seems to just be the way the 4EAT is set, but I'll keep looking into it.)

Oh! I did get my Yakima system out of the garage and fitted to the Forester with new towers. So that's something like build progress, right?

Last edited:

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

Sweet! :D

Might consider a Forester as my next car when the time comes.
I've really come to enjoy and appreciate this machine, quirks included. It's fun to drive (even without a turbo), and it's taken me everywhere I've asked it to go. And it's all still stock!

The plans I have for it will have to wait until sometime in the new year.

Reactions: F-Bobby

4wdAdventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, OH, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I've really come to enjoy and appreciate this machine, quirks included. It's fun to drive (even without a turbo), and it's taken me everywhere I've asked it to go. And it's all still stock!

The plans I have for it will have to wait until sometime in the new year.
Keep The updates coming!

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Welcome to the Subee family, we had a 2014 Forester until some dick racing his buddy down I-95 near Miami, tagged it in the right rear quarter, spun the car around, rolled 4 times then slid on the roof almost 200 feet, blew all the windows and tires out, all the air bags popped, it slid so far the road sanded the front roof pillar down to where the front window glass started, really trashed it. My Wife, her 2 sisters and Mom walked away without a scratch. Our Subaru dealer saw the pix and wanted copies to show customers. The only thing good that came from it, we got a new Outback! Rock On Subaru! Good luck with your build!

Reactions: SilveradoTX