Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD. Other than the stereo head unit everything is stock at the moment. I have some grand plans for this rig, and will be doing things in stages to help manage the money.

Updated with picture.

E420BF30-5E55-453E-AFCC-2F0236C29F47.jpeg

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD. Other than the stereo head unit everything is stock at the moment. I have some grand plans for this rig, and will be doing things in stages to help manage the money.

Updated with picture.

View attachment 109388
I got the same tent, love it!

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Any updates?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I just got back from an extended business trip. I purchased a few things in the last few months, but I haven't had the time to install them.

I got a lift kit, wheels, and tires. I am debating about a rear bumper option (something with a tire carrier for my spare). I also installed PowerStop Z36 brakes.

I went with an Icon lift w/ the CDCV. Vision Nemesis 17x9 wheels (gunmetal grey) and Milestar Patagonia M/T (285/70R17). I am still waiting for all the wheels to be delivered.

I have been thinking about a CBI rear bumper, but the price seems pretty high. A Coastal Offroad is another option. However, I don't really want to do a DIY kit if I can avoid it. I have the capability to weld it together and for half the price of the CBI, it's a compelling option. If I go with the CBI I won't be able to afford some other upgrades for a while (roof rack, front bumper/winch, regear/lockers, sliders). I have a few friends that can help with the welding as well (although none of us are great welders, we can get the work done). I also like the idea of salvaging the stock bumper with CBI, while the Coastal Offroad requires cutting the stock one.

The items I would have to wait for are my basic wish list/future upgrade items. I am also planning on building a custom drawer system for the cargo area. Something low profile, but with room for a cooking area and maybe a collapsable sink setup. I am still in the idea phase for the drawer system.

I'll keep you guys updated and post pics of the build as it goes. I might make a video for youtube of the install process as well.

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I finally got the lift installed, along with the wheels and tires. Looks good and handles great so far. Haven't had the chance to test it off pavement yet though.

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Well, I guess you need these then...

I’ve installed my ARB bull bar and the coastal Offroad rear bumper. I opted to save some cash and design and weld up my own swing arms/tire carrier. It’s rock solid with not noise or rattles. Used DOM tube with oil impregnated high strength bushings for the hinges, using 3/4” grade 8 bolts as the pivot.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Brown

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I’ll get some more pics soon. I installed my radio comms. I haves GMRS, HAM and CB units, only one installed at a time though, using same power and antenna wires, just change the main unit out depending on the trip. GMRS seems to be super common around here, but amateur radio is becoming more common. Not many people with CB. Unfortunate I am still waiting on a test date to get my license/call sign for HAM.

I do have a weird quirk with my accessories (rear bumper lights or radio communications). Everything works fine, until I power off the device (using the relay box I put together). Once I push the button to power off the device i get a pop through the speakers and after that I sometimes get no sound or distorted sounds coming from the speakers. The beeps from menu navigation come through fine when this happens though. To get it working correctly I have restart the stereo (either by restarting the truck or manually using g the stereo controls). I am using a JVC KW-M855BW head unit (mostly for Gaia GPS or Spotify using CarPlay) Its a weird thing, I might try running dedicated grounds to the devices. I am currently using a body/chassis ground for the radio and the lights causing the issue. It also doesn’t happen if I disconnect power to those devices while leaving the switch wired up (negatively switched relays)

Anyway, I’ll get more pics soon.

Ctullu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alamogordo, NM, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LYJ
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I recently put on some Caliraised Offroad sliders as well, I went with the "Step" edition with the dimpled top plate. They seem super strong and provide a nice jack point on the side of the vehicle, I also got some recovery boards, the black Fieryred brand ones, and used them this weekend in some deep snow. I am happy to report that they worked fantastic, although I chipped one of the corners of one board. I used them several times to test them out and had no issues other than the chipped corner. I will try them out in some warmer desert climates later this year and report back on their value then as well,

On a side note, has anyone figured out if you can attach the ARB Base Rack to a 4th Gen 4Runner? I might fab my own attachment brackets and see if I can get one to fit. From what I can find no one has tried this yet. If it works out maybe I can make a few sets and post them for anyone who wants/needs them.

Lastly, sorry for the long wait between posts/updates. Life has been CRAZY busy lately!