2003 Discovery SE

• HTML tutorial

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

I have a guy selling a 2003 Discovery SE with 174000 miles on it. The motor runs great and the transmission feels really nice. $1,350 out the door. It's just the SE model, so it doesn't have the seven seats I wanted. I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. Any of you Discovery guys I have any words of wisdom? I own multiple Jeeps but this will be my first foray into the Land Rover family.

RallyRover18

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all unless it's really rough. I'd plan to spend some time and/or $ ensuring your cooling system is in really good shape (might even just replace everything if it hasn't been done within the last 75k miles -- including radiator, water pump, etc.). Valve cover gaskets are important part of maintenance -- sounds like the engine is running strong if it's still running with that mileage (didn't have the slipped cylinder issue they're known for). It will leak -- if it doesn't that means it's empty. In short, not a bad price, but if you're new to Rovers just know you should budget on average $1200 or more for repairs/maintenance each year. You have to budget a good chunk for any rig that old, but Rovers just tend to be a little more expensive to maintain than a lot of other rigs.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
LP Rover is right on the money, but if you start with a good base unit and do the preventative things he suggests, those trucks will just go and go. They were built for adventure and very few actually get to see the dirt....at least in our neck of the woods. I had a Disco Series II and loved it. I think I was the only guy in Orange County, CA that had a new Disco with Chaparral pin striping on it! The mechanics at the dealer loved it when I brought it in cuz we were always putting it to the test. I broke more things on that truck and they just kept fixing it and loved it. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Reactions: RallyRover18

Roamin Rover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Maple Valley, WA
First Name
Orv
Last Name
Rohman
I would dig a bit deeper into it. 174K miles there should be some pretty good history on the standard culprits. Find out when the head gaskets were done last at the min. If and when they need to be done it can get fairly expensive if you do not do your own work. I did a recent end to end overhaul on a 03" D2 and the old saying that there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Land Rover applies. Do your research find one that has a good history (they are out there) and you will not be disappointed. They are fine vehicles they just have a few fatal flaws that need to be addressed. I also would advise anyone looking into Rovers to think about whether you will turn your own wrenches. It can get ugly on the older models if you have to pay someone each time an item comes up. The good thing is, the older models are really easy to work on and parts are not expensive if you look around a little. Tip I wish I had, find a 2004 they went back to a locking center differential. Good luck!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Great advice in these posts! If that engine is in good working order then that's a steal in my opinion.

Also it shouldn't be too hard to source that rear seat row you wanted, so that you can get the full seating capacity you wanted. The used parts market is pretty healthy with as many of the Disco 2's that are off the road thanks to the engine gremlins. In my experience the different trim levels are easy to mismatch parts between, even more when you start considering the other models of Land Rovers. In my area there are always a few in the pull-a-part yards, which makes for mega cheap part resource!

In my opinion they are quite simple to work on, much like wrenching on any american made pickup truck. Although I've heard on occasion that repair work, in labor at least, can fetch a premium just due to the shop seeing the badge on the grill. The basic wear parts are cheap & easily sourced locally, but when you get into less commonly replaced parts it can be a decent wait on parts. Could save you loads of $ if you're handy with a wrench & are savvy hunting down parts online.

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

Well, I picked up the Rover today. I got it for 1300 bucks. I've already replaced the upper radiator hose and done a full coolant flush. I didn't put a new thermostat in because I was not able to get one in time. Tomorrow I have to drive at 70 miles to my Ranch where it will live.
Everything appears to be as one would expect on a 15 year old vehicle with 177000 miles on it. Much of the trim is rough, the seats are rough, and many of the small plastic bits have become brittle. The transmission is very smooth and it shifts very easily to neutral and 4lo.
I have The Three Amigos, and I am going to work on that next. I don't think it will be too difficult. One never knows, however. My hand brake light is on all the time and I will also be looking into that.
I do have a bit of a tick tick tick going on as the motor idles and accelerates. I understand but this may be a problem with the cylinder sleeve, but I do not yet know. I live in South Florida where it's very hot and humid and it looks like the previous owner had been using a 5w 30 and getting the oil changed at the Valvoline shop. I do not believe they had to do regular maintenance so I am hopeful that the major tune-up and a total flush of fluids that I will have good luck in eliminating or at least managing the tick. If not, I guess I might be buying a new motor at some point in time. This is not my daily driver and it's really just a fun project for me to work on myself. I'm very excited about it.
Has a pretty hardcore Jeep enthusiasts this project is very exciting for me and I'm very much looking forward to learning a lot more about this vehicle and working on it myself. Should be quite an adventure. Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions!

Roamin Rover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Maple Valley, WA
First Name
Orv
Last Name
Rohman
Right on, if you have not ordered the thermostat yet, buy the genuine 180F stat. The motor rad versions are hit and miss (tried two before going genuine). Once you have that in you can expect a little better control. I would also look into an Ultra Gauge set up as the factory temp gauge is basically a dummy set up. There are lots of little things you pick up along the way to improve the reliability. If you need any input feel free to ask, if I can save you some of the heart ache I had along the way it would be my pleasure to help keep these rigs on the road.