Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
This is our 2001 TJ Wrangler. Family member bought this brand new in 2001 and it was a commuter vehicle to and from school. Never saw a dirt road. So....my son and I plan to change all that. We are turning this into a Scouts, family camping and NC mountains exploring vehicle. We wont be changing it drastically but plan to make a few changes to suit our needs.

1. We changed out the stock wheels to steel wheels with 31x10.5x15 BFG's.
  2. Front bumper from Rugged Ridge on the way.
  3. Will be looking at a new rear bumper with tire carrier+
  4. Adding LED's in Yellow to the bumper - looking at the various brands now.
  5. Building a back seat kitchen with expandable drawers.
  6. Needs new alternator and starter...it's time.
  7. Need to upgrade springs and shocks in the near future - drives like a marshmallow

Happy to hear any thoughts folks may have.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Another TJ overland rig, nice! Those rims with the pinstripes look awesome. I went full circle with the rear tire carrier. I installed front and rear (with swing out tire/dual jerry can carrier) Hard Rock 4x4 bumpers. I replaced the rear swing out with a Morryde Tailgate reinforcement kit. Plus, a slight flapwheel modification (be able to fit the TJ rim) to an EVO License Plate Relocate/Rotopax can mount for JK/JKU to carry 2x 2g/3g Rotopax cans. The rear swing out adds a lot of weight to the rear of the TJ (just under 100# without the spare tire and jerry cans with fuel). The locking mechanism did not allow for a tight hold/clamping force and would slightly amplify any motion from road bumps (thought I had death wobble creeping back into the front suspension/steering gear).

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
Another TJ overland rig, nice! Those rims with the pinstripes look awesome. I went full circle with the rear tire carrier. I installed front and rear (with swing out tire/dual jerry can carrier) Hard Rock 4x4 bumpers. I replaced the rear swing out with a Morryde Tailgate reinforcement kit. Plus, a slight flapwheel modification (be able to fit the TJ rim) to an EVO License Plate Relocate/Rotopax can mount for JK/JKU to carry 2x 2g/3g Rotopax cans. The rear swing out adds a lot of weight to the rear of the TJ (just under 100# without the spare tire and jerry cans with fuel). The locking mechanism did not allow for a tight hold/clamping force and would slightly amplify any motion from road bumps (thought I had death wobble creeping back into the front suspension/steering gear).
Thank you for sharing. I don't plan to sink a ton into this but I do like all the toys and gear these Jeeps allow for. My old CJ7's didn't have too many upfits.

Reactions: Shamu

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Wranglers don't have much payload capacity. Careful how much steel you add.
What do you plan for sleeping accomodations?

I'm on my 4rh Wrangler, never newer than 2006.

Reactions: Shamu and NCGRIZ

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Bingo. Determine how you plan to use your vehicle and mod/upgrade accordingly. Removing that 100# of weight from the rear bumper pivot from my TJ was a step in the right direction. OME med/hvy duty rear springs helped the ride too.

Reactions: NCGRIZ

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
Wranglers don't have much payload capacity. Careful how much steel you add.
What do you plan for sleeping accomodations?

I'm on my 4rh Wrangler, never newer than 2006.
We sleep in our hammocks or small tents. Trying to keep it simple. I don't want all the add ons I see folks with driving around the city...