Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I have designed my own bumper and waiting on my welder to build it. It wont weigh the 200 pounds most after market bumpers weigh.
I like it! Want to build my own at some point. Don't have really any good aftermarket bumpers for the 2nd Gen RR. What software did you use?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I like it! Want to build my own at some point. Don't have really any good aftermarket bumpers for the 2nd Gen RR. What software did you use?
I use auto cad but if you know how to use sketch up I think it will work. I think LR's and RR's are enough alike you could use my design (if you like it) with minor dimension adjustments. I bought a universal winch plate (harbor freight or amazon) for $38 that fits in the lower section between the frame rails behind the 3/16"- 6" C Channel, the top part is 4" C channel . My LR is 10" from bottom of frame to bottom of grill which determines my bumper height at the center section, the sides are raised up 6" for max ground clearance in front of the wheels. You should be able to print that pdf drawing.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I use auto cad but if you know how to use sketch up I think it will work. I think LR's and RR's are enough alike you could use my design (if you like it) with minor dimension adjustments. I bought a universal winch plate (harbor freight or amazon) for $38 that fits in the lower section between the frame rails behind the 3/16"- 6" C Channel, the top part is 4" C channel . My LR is 10" from bottom of frame to bottom of grill which determines my bumper height at the center section, the sides are raised up 6" for max ground clearance in front of the wheels. You should be able to print that pdf drawing.
Sweet, thanks! I'll definitely look into it!

Always partial to the P38, used to work for a company that overhauled the ex Land Rover Experience vehicles before they entered the dealer network. A good one is a stunning vehicle, but the BECMs could be painful in bad ones(steam cleaning interiors accounted for a few I recall!).
Good luck with the build!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Always partial to the P38, used to work for a company that overhauled the ex Land Rover Experience vehicles before they entered the dealer network. A good one is a stunning vehicle, but the BECMs could be painful in bad ones(steam cleaning interiors accounted for a few I recall!).
I'd like to hear more about your experience with Land Rovers . I think they get a bad rap from people who only have hearsay info. My LRD2 has some minor problems but only because the previous owner didn't consider fixing things that didn't affect the operation of the vehicle. In other words neglected items that any car could have but allowed to accumulate on the LRD2 !

I'd like to hear more about your experience with Land Rovers . I think they get a bad rap from people who only have hearsay info. My LRD2 has some minor problems but only because the previous owner didn't consider fixing things that didn't affect the operation of the vehicle. In other words neglected items that any car could have but allowed to accumulate on the LRD2 !
Honestly, I personally never found it was as bad as some people would like to have you believe(5000 miles in 3 weeks in a old ex MoD 110 with the 2.5 NAD red block engine, 2 issues, oil pressure switch failed, and front damper & bush(that was my fault after section of corrugation not checking the fasteners - gives a reasonably grounded experience of running one)

With both the P38 and D2 there were some poor infant mortality issues with electrical components(P38 and the BECM, the D2 was the TD5 injection harnesses are notable examples, early ACE another), but you can throw the same accusations towards Nissan and ZD30 engine grenading itself.

With LR products I would suggest they don't respond well to skipped maintenance as well as other makes, which is further compounded by the amount of low grade spurious spare parts available for them( and some of it was properly cheap - track rod balljoints nearly half the size(depth of cup side) of an OE part, hardly surprising they pop apart. Thus it can appear serviced or unserviced they break, which may not be the whole story.

The corrosion situation on D2(in Europe at least) is unforgivable, likewise Isaw a 14 plate Defender which had a rusty rear crossmember...given these are known issues it shouldn't be happening.
Be interesting to watch the way the new Defender will be hystericall criticised for the merest hint of unreliability.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Yes! It's a love or hate relationship! Thanks!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Honestly, I personally never found it was as bad as some people would like to have you believe(5000 miles in 3 weeks in a old ex MoD 110 with the 2.5 NAD red block engine, 2 issues, oil pressure switch failed, and front damper & bush(that was my fault after section of corrugation not checking the fasteners - gives a reasonably grounded experience of running one)

With both the P38 and D2 there were some poor infant mortality issues with electrical components(P38 and the BECM, the D2 was the TD5 injection harnesses are notable examples, early ACE another), but you can throw the same accusations towards Nissan and ZD30 engine grenading itself.

With LR products I would suggest they don't respond well to skipped maintenance as well as other makes, which is further compounded by the amount of low grade spurious spare parts available for them( and some of it was properly cheap - track rod balljoints nearly half the size(depth of cup side) of an OE part, hardly surprising they pop apart. Thus it can appear serviced or unserviced they break, which may not be the whole story.

The corrosion situation on D2(in Europe at least) is unforgivable, likewise Isaw a 14 plate Defender which had a rusty rear crossmember...given these are known issues it shouldn't be happening.
Be interesting to watch the way the new Defender will be hysterically criticised for the merest hint of unreliability.
Thanks, I live in the SW USA, rust or corrosion is not a problem issue out here. We don't use salt on the roads and there is no salt water near. The only problems my LRD2 has had are worn out window rollers on all four windows @ 100,000 miles. A broken hood pull cable, some sensors and fuses. Really, I cant complain and the original owner had no major issues as he tells it. The only reason he sold it was he got the new car bug after owning it for 17 years, didn't like the broken plastic parts broken by a severe hail storm a couple of years ago. I'm sure the insurance co. paid him for damage but he just stuck it in his pocket and sold the car to me at a very reasonable price of $2000. It had 101, 000 well maintained mechanical miles.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

So I know it's been awhile, and a lot has happened to the rig.

Back in May of 2020 I was offroading with some fellow Landys and drove through a puddle that was too deep. Sucked in water and bent a rod and blew a piston. The rig than sat for several months (until September or so). I finally got back around to repairing it. Brought new life to it and hope it runs for a while with no issues!

Tires needed to be addressed, so I did that. 33" Milestar Patagonia MTs on some 16" Lucky8 Steelies. Looks great. Rubs a tiny bit, bit that will be taken care of.
Also ended up getting an RTT from a friend for $400, a screaming deal. So now the rig has boss tires and an RTT, just in time for winter camping! Below are a few pics from a recent outing to Baker Lake, WA.
In addition, a Roam Adventure CO awning was added in the summer to the other rig (2011 LR4). That has now been moved over to the P38.

Many things are in the works for the rig. The 33" spare won't fit in the wheel well, so I am starting the process of building a tire carrier off the stock bumper. Hopefully that will be done by the end of this week. Also looking into getting a front steel winch bumper, but those wheels are still turning.

As always,
stay healthy and safe.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Pulaski_Overland on IG

PXL_20201205_185734277.jpgPXL_20201130_204757129.PORTRAIT.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Back in May of 2020 I was offroading with some fellow Landys and drove through a puddle that was too deep. Sucked in water and bent a rod and blew a piston. The rig than sat for several months (until September or so). I finally got back around to repairing it. Brought new life to it and hope it runs for a while with no issues!

Tires needed to be addressed, so I did that. 33" Milestar Patagonia MTs on some 16" Lucky8 Steelies. Looks great. Rubs a tiny bit, bit that will be taken care of.
Also ended up getting an RTT from a friend for $400, a screaming deal. So now the rig has boss tires and an RTT, just in time for winter camping! Below are a few pics from a recent outing to Baker Lake, WA.
In addition, a Roam Adventure CO awning was added in the summer to the other rig (2011 LR4). That has now been moved over to the P38.

Many things are in the works for the rig. The 33" spare won't fit in the wheel well, so I am starting the process of building a tire carrier off the stock bumper. Hopefully that will be done by the end of this week. Also looking into getting a front steel winch bumper, but those wheels are still turning.

As always,
stay healthy and safe.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Pulaski_Overland on IG

View attachment 179919View attachment 179920
I love your RR Gabe. Keep her rolling !
I was thinking about you recently and wondered what happened to you. I was reminded lately because I was shopping for parts on craigslist and I found a guy in Colorado who had three Land Rovers like yours that he will part out or sell whole. He probably is still there if you look for Land Rover parts in the directory.

My LRD2 has progress some as I have added the lucky8 front and rear steel bumpers and a good set of Lucky8 rock sliders. I finally purchased a 9500# winch with remote and manual controls with fiber cable. I'm really happy with how it is coming along since I had already raised it 2" and added new aggressive goodyear Wrangler tires. I had wanted to get the Patagonia tires but Discount tire was out of them when I tried.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

As always,
stay healthy and safe.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Pulaski_Overland on IG

I love your RR Gabe. Keep her rolling !
I was thinking about you recently and wondered what happened to you. I was reminded lately because I was shopping for parts on craigslist and I found a guy in Colorado who had three Land Rovers like yours that he will part out or sell whole. He probably is still there if you look for Land Rover parts in the directory.

My LRD2 has progress some as I have added the lucky8 front and rear steel bumpers and a good set of Lucky8 rock sliders. I finally purchased a 9500# winch with remote and manual controls with fiber cable. I'm really happy with how it is coming along since I had already raised it 2" and added new aggressive goodyear Wrangler tires. I had wanted to get the Patagonia tires but Discount tire was out of them when I tried.
Thanks man, I'm more than happy to have it back on the road. Good to know about those rovers in CO, need a parts rig

Yeah, I was almost forced to do General Tire AT2s, but luckily they had a set in stock

Awesome! Got a pic of your build? Hoping to get a D2 or RRC bumper to adapt to the P38.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

As always,
stay healthy and safe.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Pulaski_Overland on IG

Speaking of water I bought a different snorkel kit (not installed yet) from Southdown 4x4 in England. It's a better snorkel IMO because the induction tube runs under the fender until it exits at the "A" piller @ rear of fender. I will probable never need it (cross my fingers) but if I do I may dave having your engine problems.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

As always,
stay healthy and safe.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep
Pulaski_Overland on IG

Speaking of water I bought a different snorkel kit (not installed yet) from Southdown 4x4 in England. It's a better snorkel IMO because the induction tube runs under the fender until it exits at the "A" piller @ rear of fender. I will probable never need it (cross my fingers) but if I do I may dave having your engine problems.
Yeah, a snorkel is definitely on the list

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks man, I'm more than happy to have it back on the road. Good to know about those rovers in CO, need a parts rig

Yeah, I was almost forced to do General Tire AT2s, but luckily they had a set in stock

Awesome! Got a pic of your build? Hoping to get a D2 or RRC bumper to adapt to the P38.
I need to update since I added the sliders and I will but for now this is what I have, excuse the quality.
The picture with the rack was before I started making mods. I have since added additional supports tied downs and painted it . The tire pictures are so you can see the tread pattern. You can barely see it but I added a light bar to the front bumper and I have yet to install two 9" LED driving lights on top of it. I have not installed the winch either. I have installed new front window roller devises and I had to replace the stop light switch which fixed my shift lever lock out problem I was having. If you will look close I had to air down the new spare tire to get it remounted and it's really tight. I'll need to alter the mount some to raise it up but for now it's fine with 20# of air. LOL
One thing at a time as I find them or figure them out I will "get er done" me hopes.

Attachments

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I need to update since I added the sliders and I will but for now this is what I have, excuse the quality.
The picture with the rack was before I started making mods. I have since added additional supports tied downs and painted it . The tire pictures are so you can see the tread pattern. You can barely see it but I added a light bar to the front bumper and I have yet to install two 9" LED driving lights on top of it. I have not installed the winch either. I have installed new front window roller devises and I had to replace the stop light switch which fixed my shift lever lock out problem I was having. If you will look close I had to air down the new spare tire to get it remounted and it's really tight. I'll need to alter the mount some to raise it up but for now it's fine with 20# of air. LOL
One thing at a time as I find them or figure them out I will "get er done" me hopes.
Very nice. I really liked the D2 platform. Was goimg to get one, but couldn't find one. Got the P38 instead.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Very nice. I really liked the D2 platform. Was goimg to get one, but couldn't find one. Got the P38 instead.
You didn't go wrong my friend. I'll tell you one thing, the price of all SUV type 4x4's has gone crazy !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah, luckily got mine for $1500. Had/has quite a few issues, but I'm getting through those.
Very good, I would have grabbed it too for that price. I like mine well enough that I'd gladly spend 2- 4k on it if I had too just to keep it on the road. It's far cheaper at this stage of the game than buying anything else nearly as capable off road.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Yeah, luckily got mine for $1500. Had/has quite a few issues, but I'm getting through those.
Very good, I would have grabbed it too for that price. I like mine well enough that I'd gladly spend 2- 4k on it if I had too just to keep it on the road. It's far cheaper at this stage of the game than buying anything else nearly as capable off road.
That's the same thought process I had! Had to dump a few thousand into it to fix the motor and then new tires. Totally worth it in my mind. Hope to keep it on the road as long as possible. Maybe a 5.0l swap in the future....