Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Nice first gen! Got an 03 myself that I'm about to start building. What have you done for internal storage?
Thank you! Still have a lot of work to do! The inside cargo area has been redone twice already due to certain things I have had to haul being my daily driver. I still have the roof mounted cargo net to hold some lighter items close to the headliner. I had a grate style shelf I fabricated that was mounted right below the rear side windows and covered the entire area from the back of the seats to the hatch. I have taken that out but left the brackets. I'm in the process now of using my Grandfathers old military foot locker and turning it into a Chuck Box to store all of our base camp kitchen items. It's gonna sit up on it's side and when slid out the "Top or Lid" will open downward and be used as the cookstove top with everything we need store in the "Bottom" which will actually be the back. Hope that makes sense.

I will be removing the drivers side rear seat completely and building a floor so the chuck box will be level. By doing this it gives me storage options below the new floor that I have yet to figure out what I'm going to do there, probably some drawer storage.

I will post up some pictures soon.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well that certainly sounds interesting. I'm planning on building a platform in mine that will allow me to fold the rear seats down a have a flat space in the back, or have the seats up, and I just have the drawers in the back. Or both. My lift shackles should be here tomorrow, which I'm rather excited about.

I wish I had the overhead cargo net. I'd love to see some pictures of the divider you have.

I didn't intend to daily mine, but I like it so much, that's exactly what has happened. Lol. I really need to fix the brakes on my truck.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Well that certainly sounds interesting. I'm planning on building a platform in mine that will allow me to fold the rear seats down a have a flat space in the back, or have the seats up, and I just have the drawers in the back. Or both. My lift shackles should be here tomorrow, which I'm rather excited about.

I wish I had the overhead cargo net. I'd love to see some pictures of the divider you have.

I didn't intend to daily mine, but I like it so much, that's exactly what has happened. Lol. I really need to fix the brakes on my truck.
I will dig out the old pictures of the shelf system I had. I will also take a pic of the cargo net I have installed as well.

I would definitely get the brakes redone. Xterra's are hard on brakes, year and half ago I was stopping at a traffic light and the passenger side brake caliper literally exploded. Luckily the light has just turned green and the person in front of me had started moving or I would have slammed into them.. Needless to say, we replaced both rotors, calipers and brake pads.

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I meant the brakes on my colorado. It currently has an abs fault that my scanner won't pick up, unfortunately. I need to take it in and have it properly diagnosed.

The xterra brakes were done right before I bought it 3 months ago and have zero issues currently.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I meant the brakes on my colorado. It currently has an abs fault that my scanner won't pick up, unfortunately. I need to take it in and have it properly diagnosed.

The xterra brakes were done right before I bought it 3 months ago and have zero issues currently.
Id like to see your rig as you begin to build it to suit your needs!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I plan on getting a build thread going once I actually start it. My 4x4Parts adjustable shackles and Idler Arm Brace arrived yesterday. I must say, they feel EXTREMELY beefy. I'm glad I spent the money for those instead of other options.

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Got the dual battery setup completed, Adding aux ports throughout and did a total rewire of all the aftermarket accessories to the Optima Red Top.

Attachments

Reactions: DevilDodge

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looks slick! I can't believe you managed to fit a second battery under the hood. I hadn't done the measurements, but it didn't look like there's enough room down there. I'm going to have to re-think putting mine in the cab when I get around to it.

Let me know how that tuff stuff awning is. I'm certainly in the market for an awning myself (might just build something until I can get enough money to buy something that's gonna last).

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Looks slick! I can't believe you managed to fit a second battery under the hood. I hadn't done the measurements, but it didn't look like there's enough room down there. I'm going to have to re-think putting mine in the cab when I get around to it.

Let me know how that tuff stuff awning is. I'm certainly in the market for an awning myself (might just build something until I can get enough money to buy something that's gonna last).
Thanks man! In order to get it in there I deleted my cruise control which I never used. Relocated the horn, relay box on the inner fender and a 3 gang of plugs. Once I did that I dropped the Red Top in and off to Auto Zone I went for a battery tray and mount! Took me awhile to get it all done because I rewired the entire X to get everything xtra on the Red Too and keep the Main as it’s intended purpose....to crank! Lol. I like the Tuff Stuff awning, we are an authorized dealer for them...so far worth the investment. Now that all that’s done, My next focus is Solar / Power Station and Propane system for hot water and heat!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks man! In order to get it in there I deleted my cruise control which I never used. Relocated the horn, relay box on the inner fender and a 3 gang of plugs. Once I did that I dropped the Red Top in and off to Auto Zone I went for a battery tray and mount! Took me awhile to get it all done because I rewired the entire X to get everything xtra on the Red Too and keep the Main as it’s intended purpose....to crank! Lol. I like the Tuff Stuff awning, we are an authorized dealer for them...so far worth the investment. Now that all that’s done, My next focus is Solar / Power Station and Propane system for hot water and heat!
OK, that makes a little more sense.

It looks like you've left the suspension at stock height as well. I gotta say, I took my stock 03 out a couple of weeks ago for a group day run, and even the jeep guys were impressed with how she did. Are you planning on doing any sort of lift at all? Parts for the PML are only about $100, so to me it SES like a no brainer (I've got mine already, just waiting for it to get a bit warmer before installing).

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

OK, that makes a little more sense.

It looks like you've left the suspension at stock height as well. I gotta say, I took my stock 03 out a couple of weeks ago for a group day run, and even the jeep guys were impressed with how she did. Are you planning on doing any sort of lift at all? Parts for the PML are only about $100, so to me it SES like a no brainer (I've got mine already, just waiting for it to get a bit warmer before installing).
I honestly don't have any intentions of lifting it, If I do it's at the bottom of my "to do list". We don't go rock crawling, etc...and we both know the Xterra is a very capable rig to handle most obstacles on the dirt paths. I once took a bone stock 2000 Ford Explorer with street radials to Uhwarrie National Forest and did the extreme trail and made it thru solo! lmbo!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I honestly don't have any intentions of lifting it, If I do it's at the bottom of my "to do list". We don't go rock crawling, etc...and we both know the Xterra is a very capable rig to handle most obstacles on the dirt paths. I once took a bone stock 2000 Ford Explorer with street radials to Uhwarrie National Forest and did the extreme trail and made it thru solo! lmbo!
I don't disagree at all! I don't really intend on building a rock crawler either, but for 100 bucks, a pml is a simple mod that only adds capability, so I'm doing it. That, combined with 265/75r16s should give me all the clearance I need.

I'm actually happy to see all these xterras popping up on the forums.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've not done it yet, but from what I've heard, not really. I'll let you know once I do it. I'm not a fan of crawling under the truck when it's cold and wet outside (my house doesn't have a garage).

Bugnut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Laven
Member #

Semi build thread - I've got one basically one, my 2000 X...
20190706_173928_zpsmods2rmo.jpg

2" Body Lift, Calmini Upper A arms and rear shackles. Cleaned up everything else and just hums along. Probably soon to be passed on to a future X driver.

My 2015 Xterra Pro4X, not so many pics of it yet as it's a work in progress.
20191005_125910_zpsgcli2kef.jpg

2" front lift and rear shackles from Supreme Suspension. Has about 800lbs of lava rock in the back here. Sitting on my Timbrens.

Both do the job. ProX is much nicer and a long distance vehicle, and has about 160,000 less miles! Camps well.

Mike

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Lastest project completed! Dual battery setup, total aftermarket accessories rewired to aux battery and multiple power points and usb charging ports added throughout for planned electronics. Such as a Dash Cam, New CB radio, GMRS Radio and newer Garmin Navigation unit. I have a Nuvi now in addition to my Apple Car Play Navi but looking to add a OHV trail mapping unit.. So many plans, so little $$$ LMBO!
83435714_792963401187241_3794890930738167808_n.jpg
83799231_849392202243320_4872633426580078592_n.jpg
83929533_1468632159978815_3898486619954479104_n.jpg
83650988_2559447604302462_8138235991036002304_n.jpg
84068524_1114067575597956_1325201572086415360_n.jpg
84822012_177990686802654_6540722866634096640_n.jpg

84700120_214857259689054_1255162492418523136_n55.jpg