Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

So, I've found what I think is a good deal on a Land Rover D2, but I know nothing about them. What are some issues and quirks with them that I need to know about? Thanks in advance.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

I am not an expert, but I was told you should only consider a 2004 unless you want to consider an engine rebuild - something about cylinder liners that work their way out of place leading to critical failure. Other things I'd look at are rust and head gaskets, which are apparently notorious for leaking. I love my D2, but it does spend some time at the shop and its a low mileage 2004.

Reactions: southernfire97

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I am not an expert, but I was told you should only consider a 2004 unless you want to consider an engine rebuild - something about cylinder liners that work their way out of place leading to critical failure. Other things I'd look at are rust and head gaskets, which are apparently notorious for leaking. I love my D2, but it does spend some time at the shop and its a low mileage 2004.
Thanks for the reply and info. If it doesn't involve a G.M. Product or a Jeep, I'm not up on what quirks to look for.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

So, any inherent issues with the 04 models? Anything I want to make sure one has on it, option wise?

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

All d2's 1999-2004 could possibly suffer head gasket failure. There's several other things to watch out for with them. You have the three amigo lights. "Abs, tc, and hdc" in which only a special scan tool will give the codes for. Also the front drive shaft, the a.c. lines drip right onto it resulting in driveshaft failure due to non-greasable u-joints...causing them to snap and sending your driveshaft into the transmission. Remedy "Tom woods drive shaft" oh and rust.

None the less, they are tanks and I would love to own another one! Awesome thing about a 2000 is it has the tcase with a center diff lock...just no way to engage it in the cab, lucky 8 makes a tcase shifter to engage it...or you can find a wrecked 2004 or D1 and swap them out. In a day you can a cdl with a little modding and around $500 or less.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

d2 rover

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

north plains or
Member #

So, I've found what I think is a good deal on a Land Rover D2, but I know nothing about them. What are some issues and quirks with them that I need to know about? Thanks in advance.

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392
They are notorious for head gasket and if you know how to do one it is a 20 hour job the key is to not let them overheat if the dash light comes on its to late but when they run nothing beats them

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Litedrizzle

Rank 0

Traveler I

Both myself and my brother own one, mines a 2003 se and his is a 2002 se I have been the mechanic the whole way through thus far. I can attest to the head gasket issues and prop shafts mainly front. Just last month I finished up a head gasket job on his wasnt too difficult other than the rearmost head bolts if you ever plan to do it on your own. The first thing that we did right off the bat was change water pump and go to a low temp t stat on both. My brother paid 2800 for his 118k it was running, I paid 750 for mine wasnt running when I bought it but has 128k on it. If your fairly good with a wrench you can save loads of cash doing it yourself imagine that. Best thing I can suggest is to find the pdf of the rave manual or haynes if you can find somewhere that still has one. But best of luck to you and if needed just pm me. included picture is both of ours when we were cleaning them his is blue mine is champagne
20170510_200913[1].jpg

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

I've got the rave manual in pdf form on my hard drive...I used to have it on my phone. I can get it for you if you need it.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk