2000 Isuzu Trooper Build

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

This is the start of my Trooper build. I will update with pictures as I add new stuff.

I am starting with a stock 2000 Green Isuzu Trooper S.

I have all new shocks to put on and rear Jeep coils for a 2" lift and a torsion bar crank.

Next is ordering tires. I am going with the Falken Wildpeak at3w's in either a 238/85r16 10 ply or a 265/75r16 4 ply. I am still determining which will be better for me.

I will also be building steel front and rear bumpers.

Here is a picture after the first trail run with old street tires. The trooper did well and seemed very capable. I am excited to make it look and function to its full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Nice. I love my trooper. Please tell me you found one with a manual trans... lol

TGF

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lunenburg, MA
Member #

Building your own bumpers - I hope you'll document that for us. Should be an interesting fabrication process.

Traveler I

I will document everything. The company I used to work for allows me to come and use their fabrication equipment and get some help by one of the fabricators.

Mine is an Automatic:/ But it has a new rebuilt transmission.

Reactions: TGF

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have the auto too. Been rebuilt 3 times in the last 2 years. Watch out for the pumps. Had a hard time finding one that wouldn't fail. Not a good trans for this vehicle. I will be swapping in a manual when it goes out again.

Traveler I

I hope I will have better luck than you! haha I know it is pretty weak though. I like the idea of a manual, but can't commit for my daily driver with traffic.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I hope I will have better luck than you! haha I know it is pretty weak though. I like the idea of a manual, but can't commit for my daily driver with traffic.
I hear that, I drive in Austin traffic everyday. It's a nightmare. But I just need a trans that doesn't cost me a grand to keep going every year.

Traveler I

I hear that, I drive in Austin traffic everyday. It's a nightmare. But I just need a trans that doesn't cost me a grand to keep going every year.
Chris,

This might be a good option if you have more problems. They have options for 1 year warranty and 5 year for twice as much.

http://www.carmonkeys.com/2000-ISUZU-ISUZU-TROOPER-Transmission-Transaxle-Automatic-Transmission-4x4-5-Years-Warranty

Also, what does your Trooper look like? I haven't been able to find any pictures.

Last edited:

Traveler I

Gonna be changing the shocks and transmission sensors on the trooper tonight. Tires (265/75r16 Falken AT3W's) are in the mail. They will go on with a 2" lift. It might could use a cleaning too[emoji12]

UplandEric

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

I'm following your build thread as hearing someone building a Trooper is close to my heart. My outdoor camping travels, now defined as overlanding, started in a 1986 trooper and then a 96'. I wish I would of had the ability to keep both of them. My 86' was mostly stock but I did do some mods to the 96 to make it more usable off road. It was kind of a sleeper as though it was taller, wider, and difflocked it didn't look it until I parked next too a normal one. One thing I would highly recommend is manual front hubs. My 96' was a shift on the fly which meant all the front drive was spinning all the time, just a blot plate under the decorative center cap. Installing manual hubs gave me 1 more mile per gal on the highway, seemed more nimble in 2wd, and didn't wear everything out so fast.

Anyway, keep the updates coming and thanks for sharing.

1986 Trooper.jpg
96' trooper resize.JPG

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

Yup. Manual hubs are the way to go. That's the first thing I did on my 95 about 7 years ago.

Traveler I

Got my tires in a few days ago. They look really cool. I just have to get some manual hubs and I will get them on and lift it 2".

The other night when I got home, I lost my brakes. Looked and there is brake fluid on my passenger front tire. I think it is the wheel cylinder. Just one more thing to do... [emoji53]

Reactions: DCLXX