Launch Member

Member I

Powell, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hey all, I’m new to the overlanding scene, I mean like very new my buddy @Madax92 suggested it to me and I was very interested and was wondering if my stock 3.0 4wd ranger is a good start also what kind of equipment and mods on a budget would be good for beginners thanks!!

Reactions: WAYAWAY and Big G

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey all, I’m new to the overlanding scene, I mean like very new my buddy @Madax92 suggested it to me and I was very interested and was wondering if my stock 3.0 4wd ranger is a good start also what kind of equipment and mods on a budget would be good for beginners thanks!!
My first overland rig was a 2wd Ford Courier, 5 speed and a 2.0 four cylinder. It went further than all the boys with jacked up mud trucks... so far I fact a huge 4 wheel drive tractor could barely get me out.
My dad has had several 4wd Rangers from 1985-2002. He currently has a 1998 with close to 300,000 off road miles. So yes your truck is a great platform to use.
Gear... sky is the limit... to every one starting out, I recommend used camp gear (tents, stoves, lanterns, and coolers). spend good money on Recovery Straps, Tires, axe, and shovel. Then go out and explore.
Take a notebook with you and every time you are out, write down those things that you think “Hey that would be nice to have.” Or “Wouldn’t it be cool if some one made this”. As your list grows start organizing it into wants vs needs.
Hold off on buying anything that is not a need for the first year. Replace your used gear as you go (if you need to, I personally use my “used” stuff more than the stuff I bought to replace it with).
Most importantly, get out and explore with what you have.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome, just go and do. you'll figure out what mods you need as you go along. Just get out there, Get a good sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent ,stove and ice chest. Go to a couple of meet ups. Sierra trading is a good place for gear. last years close outs. Top of last years line.

Recovery gear: strap or rope, some shackles, shovel, (yard and shorty) air compressor, maybe a come along. Much of overlanding is fashion, there a bunch of folks that can spew all about the gear, but don't know trails. I can talk trails.Get good sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent, stove and ice chest, you are set!Welcome to overlanding, just go and do you'll figure out what your mods will be. For camping gear check out Sierra, most of the stuff is close out stuff. Top of line, last year and good savings.

Last edited:
Reactions: XcultX and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome to overlanding, just go and do you'll figure out what your mods will be. For camping gear check out Sierra Designs, Most of the stuff is close out stuff. Top of line, last year and good savings. Sierra Designs: Backpacking Tents, Sleeping Bags, Outdoor Clothing
Get good sleeping pad, sleeping bag, tent, stove and ice chest, you are set!
Recovery gear: strap or rope, some shackles, shovel, (yard and shorty) air compressor, maybe a come along. Much of overlanding is fashion, there a bunch of folks that can spew all about the gear, but don't know trails. I can talk trails.
Exactly... I’m usually laughing stock at camp with all my old hand me down gear, but the go to guy to get to the camp site, waterfall, fire tower, or just to get to that one remote destination.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi Andrew, welcome to the OB community.

Reactions: XcultX

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
Welcome, from the NC/SC border.

My 1st rig which I use as a daily driver now is a 2003 Ranger 2.3, 2WD, manual transmission, with all-terrains. It now has 302000 miles!

Reactions: Big G and XcultX

XcultX

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Powell, TN, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Yeah I love my ranger, power is mainly the only thing I’m worried about on some of the trails but I don’t plan on taking it to the extreme trails or anything.

Reactions: Darren C Kern

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

No mods required. Figure out how to sleep and eat and go use it.

The Ranger is one of those capable, kind of bullet proof, simple 4x4s best left vitually box stock. Use it first and if you think a mod will make it better, have at 'er. Any mechanical mods always create weak point some where in the parts left stock reulting in a broken part, a need to carry spares, and another mod. Lifts and more rubber will kill gas mileage and I've found often hurt traction. Use it and figure out what works for you, good maintenance, check driveline, u-joints etc, brakes and go camping.

Ranger with a 3.0L will last forever. Just keep track of how much weight you carry. Maybe scale it with full gas and subtract the GVWR off the cab door jamb to figure out how much payload it'll carry.

Last edited:

Darren C Kern

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ridgeway, VA, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Kern
Member #

No mods required. Figure out how to sleep and eat and go use it.

The Ranger is one of those capable, kind of bullet proof, simple 4x4s best left vitually box stock. Use it first and if you think a mod will make it better, have at 'er. Any mechanical mods always create weak point some where in the parts left stock reulting in a broken part, a need to carry spares, and another mod. Lifts and more rubber will kill gas mileage and I've found often hurt traction. Use it and figure out what works for you, good maintenance, check driveline, u-joints etc, brakes and go camping.
I agree. When he mentioned power, I was gonna say- stay as close to stock as your use will allow, and it should be fine.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Yeah I love my ranger, power is mainly the only thing I’m worried about on some of the trails but I don’t plan on taking it to the extreme trails or anything.
Smart driving and patience will keep you going in 99% of the situations you'll experience.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

My first overland rig was a 2wd Ford Courier, 5 speed and a 2.0 four cylinder.
I completely forgot I had one of those too.
My called it a Louiseville.

It was effortless to drive, manual brakes, steering and windows yet it was easier to drive than anything new.

Reactions: M Rose

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Use 2WD til you get stuck, the use 4WD to turn around and go home. With that philosophy and a bit of judgement you will never need recovery gear. But I'd recommend learning where the best tow points on yer Ranger, front and rear, and carry some sort of strap to hook up in case you actually need a winch or tow. An 8' tree saver is often ideal. Light and soft and cheap... generic brands might be cheaper than Warn

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Take a notebook with you and every time you are out, write down those things that you think “Hey that would be nice to have.” Or “Wouldn’t it be cool if some one made this”. As your list grows start organizing it into wants vs needs.
This, this right here! I always think of something I needed, or at least would have been nice to have mid-trip, then I never write it down and forget by the end of the trip.

-TJ

Reactions: M Rose

Madax92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Caryville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
miles
Last Name
dax
Member #

thnkk you everyone for all the advise itll help both of us were trying to get ready for a 3 day trip soon just to get away and get the feel for what were doing with our vehicles and gear got a few things to take care of first on both rigs and some gear to aquire first but lookiing forward for the adventures to come were gonna try to set up a meet with some locals to us to get some ideas and have some fun

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I started with a string of stock 4x4 vehicles mainly for hunting and fishing expeditions, and they proved very capable. A good set of stock width all terrain tires, front and rear recovery points, on-board first aid kit and fire extinguisher, and the vehicle is good to go! The rest is up to you based on how self sufficient or comfortable you need to be.