janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
I have a 2000 F250 7.3L with OEM tire size (265/75/R16) and spent months trying to figure out how to increase the tire size without dropping thousands of dollars on a lift. I took the truck into Les Schwab - they were _awesome_ by the way - and they added a leaf upfront for ~$500 and installed new 315/75/R16s on new 16x8.5 wheels with a -12 offset . Here's the results:
  • Front tires rub a little on the leaf all the way at full lock. Not a big deal to me.
  • The truck handles better if you can believe that. It feels more solid, less wandering.
  • Zero loss of power. This engine does not give a shit what you do to the truck. It just keeps rolling.
I'm throwing this out here for any other owners of the older Super Duty's that are looking to upgrade to a bigger tire size. I had a hard time finding some definitive research. A lot of what I read told me that you can't run this tire size on front ends with leaf springs, only coils. Not entirely true.

Also got tired of the undermount spare tire lift. It's possible these tires don't fit but even if they do, I wanted a swing out hitch carrier so we went with the Rig'd Ultraswing Megafit. Really happy with the build quality and a 1/3rd of the cost of a new bumper with a swing out tire carrier.

Reactions: Lost_soul_ryan

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Looks great. That's the right amount of tire for overlanding.

There's also cut out flares available for those years if any of ya'll need to go to 38's or more.

Reactions: janders