2000 Chevy 3500 SRW 4x4 Blank slate

• HTML tutorial

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

Whats up guys. I just picked up a Chevy 1 ton 4x4 SRW with a 454 7.4 vortec/4L80/GM14 bolt (locking diff). 148,000 miles and it is pretty much a blank state as far as overlanding build goes. It does have some sweet heavy duty bumpers. My plan is to tackle servicing then dive deep into some good parts. I've attached some pictures but I started a YouTube channel to document the build.

Let me know what you guys think in terms of crucial things that are needed for this rig!

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nice rig you have yourself. Would you recommend a bed shell? I keep seeing them on the marketplace for less than $200

Also, did you do any upgrading to your tie rods?
Hey David, as far as the bed shell, I guess it would depend on how you use your truck? The original intent of my 2500hd truck was to use it to haul stuff to junk yard and carry big objects around for house projects. But after a year, I really didn't do those things because I bought the truck after I already did most of the 'honey-do' list with my previous truck.

Then I turned the truck into a bug-out vehicle, this is when the bed of the truck was fully utilized. I could practically live in it now and still carry stuff about. Kids love it and I believe it will work great for overlanding. $200 is an awesome price. I don't wanna tell you what I paid for mine new, including the rails on top, LED strips that I ordered as options, then added the Bed Run at the installers for extra comfort.

Tie rods, nothing yet, but I am planning a 6" lift by ProComp Kit in the next week or so.

space.jpeg

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

Hey David, as far as the bed shell, I guess it would depend on how you use your truck? The original intent of my 2500hd truck was to use it to haul stuff to junk yard and carry big objects around for house projects. But after a year, I really didn't do those things because I bought the truck after I already did most of the 'honey-do' list with my previous truck.

Then I turned the truck into a bug-out vehicle, this is when the bed of the truck was fully utilized. I could practically live in it now and still carry stuff about. Kids love it and I believe it will work great for overlanding. $200 is an awesome price. I don't wanna tell you what I paid for mine new, including the rails on top, LED strips that I ordered as options, then added the Bed Run at the installers for extra comfort.

Tie rods, nothing yet, but I am planning a 6" lift by ProComp Kit in the next week or so.

View attachment 110319

You sound exactly like me haha. I Bought my truck to do work around the house and shop. But ultimately I want it to be a long travel vehicle with maybe a truck camper in the bed. I love the shell idea to start out with because of how cheap I can find a used one. I definitely won’t be doing any hardcore off roading because well my truck is longer than a football field.

I bought a leveling kit with a 1 inch block in the rear. Not sure if I want to do a 6 inch lift

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You sound exactly like me haha. I Bought my truck to do work around the house and shop. But ultimately I want it to be a long travel vehicle with maybe a truck camper in the bed. I love the shell idea to start out with because of how cheap I can find a used one. I definitely won’t be doing any hardcore off roading because well my truck is longer than a football field.

I bought a leveling kit with a 1 inch block in the rear. Not sure if I want to do a 6 inch lift
Yup having a camper shell will give you another blank slate for any kind of build you want. I like my setup because I could empty it in minutes. Nothing is bolted to the bottom of the bed of the truck. When I am not bugging out our overlanding then the back would look something like this in minutes.

I could have gone with a 4 inch lift, but the truck already has a 3 inch lift, so going another inch or so to me wasn't going to be worth the money/time/appearance.

empty.jpeg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nice rig you have yourself. Would you recommend a bed shell? I keep seeing them on the marketplace for less than $200

Also, did you do any upgrading to your tie rods?
As it turns out my upper control arms and one of my tie rods where shot. The shop is/has replaced them with aftermarket components made by Noog. They are not super thick like Congnitos, but seems to be as good or better than stock.

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

Let the mods begin!

Hey, quick question. I see you have a 45 gallon gas tank. Is your truck diesel or gas? Whats your mpg on the trail? The diesel version of my truck comes with a 34 gallon tank, which is only $90, that I plan on installing in my truck (i only have 26 gallons). I do plan on picking up 2-4, 5 gallon jerry cans for a just incase. I upgraded my injectors and fuel pressure regulator so now i am getting a good 13 mpg going 70 on the interstate. I'm not entirely sure what ill be getting mpg on the trail.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Hey, quick question. I see you have a 45 gallon gas tank. Is your truck diesel or gas? Whats your mpg on the trail? The diesel version of my truck comes with a 34 gallon tank, which is only $90, that I plan on installing in my truck (i only have 26 gallons). I do plan on picking up 2-4, 5 gallon jerry cans for a just incase. I upgraded my injectors and fuel pressure regulator so now i am getting a good 13 mpg going 70 on the interstate. I'm not entirely sure what ill be getting mpg on the trail.
My truck is gas. MPG on the trail was probably about 9-10mpg. I just added a 6" lift and 35" tires so that didn't help my situation. On the freeway I also get about 13mpg'ish.

Jason and Cayce

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Treasure coast Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Gulizia
Trucks awesome. In my opinion an under rated plat form. I love mine had a 1500 when I was 16. 15 years later... now I have a 2500. Can't wait to see what you make of it.

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

another Update. It has been super hot down south so not too much work has been on the truck.. The things I have gotten done are installing the new wheels and tires, halfway installing a leveling kit (havent installed rear 1 inch blocks yet) and I recently purchased a used Leer camping shell for $200. My next step is to go pick up a 4x8' piece of astro turf and then pick up a camping cot.

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

Also, I would like to tint my front windows as it would help the contrasting a bit. I am also thinking of painting my fender flares black. Thoughts?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Sweet shell and even sweeter price! I like how the shell is taller in back. Any extra head room is a plus. For tinted windows I’d say yes. I have my rears darker than the fronts so I can still be seen and still have UV protection.

For painting the flares black I think that would make the side of your truck more narrow if you know what I mean? Compared to a fuller look with the same color overall. But then again in your case black flares would match your shell nicely.

Reactions: Crowley34