20 gal aux fuel tank installed on trailer.

• HTML tutorial

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

I was thinking about adding 15 to 20 gal fuel tank to my rooftop tent trailer. I would have a pump and quick disconnect that i would connect to my 1999 Toyota Tacoma so i can flip a switch in cab fill main tank up while driving. This would allow me to fill up every 400 miles or more when pulling trailer instead of every 200 miles. I could not find anything with google search with aux tank and trailer that can fill while driving. Looking to see if this would be safety problem or illegal. any suggestions or problems you see with this are welcome.
PXL_20231230_154059202.MP (1).jpg

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You want a wet fuel connection to your trailer? No you don't.

I would advise you to put it in the bed of the truck. Illegal in most places to gravity feed gasoline from auxiliary. Plumbing into the existing system will almost certainly cause problems with the tank pressure sensor and likely the purge valve.

Mount the tank in the back of the truck (or use a couple of marine auxiliary portables) and use a 12v fuel pump to pump directly into the filler neck when needed.

Reactions: WrightRunner

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Ok I need to figure out how to fill the tank easily with a tonneau cover on the bed truck.
It opens right?

When transferring fuel from the back of the truck bear in mind static energy that will build up in metallic and some non-metallic components while you are going down the road.

Use a bond wire to discharge static before transferring fuel and be mindful of fumes in the un-ventilated area created by your cover. I put a bilge gas monitor in the back of my truck with a fiberglass topper on it to monitor fumes, they are very inexpensive and sensitive as well. The last thing you want to happen is for it to go *POOF* when you open the lid. I have a 17 gallon aluminum tank mounted in the bed of our Gladiator. This is what I used

ETA:bilge fume monitor

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Ok I need to figure out how to fill the tank easily with a tonneau cover on the bed truck.
It opens right?

When transferring fuel from the back of the truck bear in mind static energy that will build up in metallic and some non-metallic components while you are going down the road.

Use a bond wire to discharge static before transferring fuel and be mindful of fumes in the un-ventilated area created by your cover. I put a bilge gas monitor in the back of my truck with a fiberglass topper on it to monitor fumes, they are very inexpensive and sensitive as well. The last thing you want to happen is for it to go *POOF* when you open the lid. I have a 17 gallon aluminum tank mounted in the bed of our Gladiator. This is what I used

ETA:bilge fume monitor
Yes it opens. Just thinking about if I put stuff on top like a kayak. I used to have tent on truck I still have bed rails I can use.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Yes it opens. Just thinking about if I put stuff on top like a kayak. I used to have tent on truck I still have bed rails I can use.
Make a hole or use longer plumbing, I don't know you'll have to figure that out, but I can tell you that you don't want fuel plumbed from your trailer to your truck.

If you want it in your trailer use marine outboard tanks and just put them on top of your cover when you want to transfer fuel.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

How did you plumb the tank in your vehicle?
I didn't for the reasons I stated earlier (legal and mechanical). I connect a12v fuel pump to the AN fitting on top and pump it off to the filler neck. The fittings on the tank I linked are pick up, return and vent( vent has roll over check ball. I keep the pick up and return capped and vent is connected to a charcoal canister then vented outside using a venturi tube. The tank has to be vented to allow expansion/contraction due to temperature and as a vacuum breaker during pump off. I also took the gauge float out so I don't have to listen to it when the tank is empty.