2 weeks on the NMBDR, ERT, and some wandering.

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Few picks in the Santa Fe NF.
View attachment 170715
View attachment 170716
!!! There has been an important change on the original path of the ERT as it goes through the Santa Fe. Where the original path came out of the forest and onto easements of some private property, new land owners from Cali have installed fences and gates. This caused an uproar in the local community with protests, petitions, and threats of violence against the new owners. It is now being played out in the legal system but for now the original path is closed.
There is the FS200 option, which I took, and that’s an iffy. The road is badly deteriorated and littered with technical areas, rock and boulder “mine” fields, bad off camber areas, serious washouts, and rock drops. You will need good lift, armor, tires, lockers, and driving ability to traverse this. I ended up with a bent idler arm, dented driveshaft, leaking steering box, damaged tires, and well scraped up skid plate/belly pan. I was going downhill which made it easier as I would not have been able to make the climb.
Then once I got to the NF boundary I found a fence had been put up. I had done my research ahead of time and knew there was an easement all the way to the highway so I took the fence down and replaced it after I passed. Other than more crappy roadway, I passed through the property line fencing and easements without hindrance the rest of the way. However this could end up playing out like the original path so be prepared.

This is the only good section of that path.
View attachment 170720
More to come...
With the ground clearance you have, did you have any problems with that sketchy part of the road ? Picture's are hard to see much. Was the damage to your drive shaft bad enough to cause vibrations ?

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

With the ground clearance you have, did you have any problems with that sketchy part of the road ? Picture's are hard to see much. Was the damage to your drive shaft bad enough to cause vibrations ?
My ground clearance was not adequate and scraped my skid plate and belly pan frequently.
At one point I was dragging the truck on the belly pan over an obstacle and when it dropped off is when I dented the drive shaft. Not severely dented but yes it is causing a vibration.
That picture was of the only good section of road. The rest required my undivided attention.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My ground clearance was not adequate and scraped my skid plate and belly pan frequently.
At one point I was dragging the truck on the belly pan over an obstacle and when it dropped off is when I dented the drive shaft. Not severely dented but yes it is causing a vibration.
That picture was of the only good section of road. The rest required my undivided attention.
If yours barely made it mine would not. I think you have more clearance than I. I dont have any armor for my under carriage either. I dont want to spend another $1000 for it so I may have to do a lot of turning around at times unless I travel the trails with someone. Do you think that a spotter would have helped any ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This was on the ERT. There was no issues like this on the NMBDR. Yes I think a spotter would have greatly helped.
Good to know the NMBDR is not so sketchy as ERT. I'm too old to challenge the sketchy trails, especially when going solo. Good accounting Steven, I enjoyed following your thread. What kind of equipment were you using to identify your locations ? Do you use your cell phone for the pictures ? Do you have a dash camera?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
My Gaia started acting up as soon as I entered Chloride canyon. The background got blurry and didn’t correct itself till I left. Anyone experience this before?
View attachment 170618
I had no issues with GAIA in Chloride Canyon, but did have the GPS go wonky on the west side of WSMR.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Speaking of that, I saw signs on lots of creeks saying either red chili water or green chili water. I also saw trout in all the streams I camped by.
That's NMs cute designation for quality waters.
Red Chile Water is catch & release, artificial lures or flies with a single barbless hook.
Green Chile Water is 2 per day limit, but with same tackle restrictions.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Here are a few picks heading south on the ERT into New Mexico.
View attachment 170707

View attachment 170708
View attachment 170709
The ERT parallels a managed trout stream for quite awhile. There are signs along the way saying “red chili waters” and “green chili waters” referencing the various fishing regulations.
View attachment 170710
View attachment 170711
View attachment 170712
More to come...
Looks like the Rio Costilla, we were just up there scouting elk in the Valle Vidal this last weekend.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I had no issues with GAIA in Chloride Canyon, but did have the GPS go wonky on the west side of WSMR.
Possibly military interference for both of you guy's. This state is loaded with military electronics sending out blocking devices.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Good to know the NMBDR is not so sketchy as ERT. I'm too old to challenge the sketchy trails, especially when going solo. Good accounting Steven, I enjoyed following your thread. What kind of equipment were you using to identify your locations ? Do you use your cell phone for the pictures ? Do you have a dash camera?
I used Gaia on my iPad tethered to a Garmin Glo 2. All pics were taken with my iPhone.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Red Chile Water is catch & release, artificial lures or flies with a single barbless hook.
There was another one I saw too. I think it was clear chili water? If I’m remembering correctly it was something about no limit on non native trout.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
There was another one I saw too. I think it was clear chili water? If I’m remembering correctly it was something about no limit on non native trout.
There's red chile water with native trout conservation. It's same as red chile, but catch & release only on cutties and Gila trout, and no limit on rainbows, browns, & brookies, and
Xmas (New Mexican for red and green chile) that is limit 2 per day on any legal tackle.

I always have to look them up.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Good eye! That’s exactly where it was.... Beautiful area.
One thing that sticks out at me on this trip were the number of hunters I encountered. They were out in mass.
Lot's of bow hunters here. And everyone who has a tag brings the whole family along. Rifle seasons are even busier...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I didn't know that. Thanks, now I won't waste my time fishing where I have to throw them back. I have a lot to learn about fishing anyway. I just bought my first fly rod and reel but won't buy any fly's until I talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.