2 tents on the roof of my Tacoma

• HTML tutorial

4x4damian

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

I would like to share a story about my project on Toyota Tacoma. One year ago I have purchased roof top tent and went to the west for a 4 weeks - 2 people.  Great experience . I said to myself : no more hotels or cabins :blush: On base on that experience I had a talk with my wife about going next summer as a 4 people and 2 tents on the roof. That was a big project for me to figure it out how to combine those tents together on the roof plus 5 gallon water tank for shower. First tent FRONT RUNNER is lighter and low profile so I put as a first . Second tent  TUFF STUFF  I installed in the back plus annex ( private room) was open in the back which gives me an access to the cargo from inside . I had to make sure that outside windows are not disturbing each other. Everything looks so fine ... and finally we went camping and testing our project for 2 weeks. We were going from camp to camp.  We are so happy and now we know that we can go anywhere for the long expedition. Kids had  such a fun crossing from tent to tent through the window.

I just want to share my video about all.

https://youtu.be/cpEi5TyGFSs

Bonomonster

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Great video. Your setup looks great too. It incorporates a lot of what I envision for my future trailer setup. The only thing I would find frustrating with your setup is having to breakdown and setup camp for everyday you want to go drive somewhere.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I've been thinking that a roof tent (or 2) is on my list for next year.  I'm on the same opinion as Mike, and I was going to put it on a trailer.  (I have about 1/2 inch before I lose the ability to put the XK in the garage, and I don't like to take it apart.)

Question though.  With 4 people on the top of the truck like that.  Does the motion transfer through the suspension?  Does it wake up the lighter sleepers when someone has to get up in the middle of the night?  That was another reason I wanted to do a trailer, I would have the support legs down on the ground to help with that...

I really do dig that setup though.

4x4damian

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hi , Mike.

yes that is a little bit frustrating, but it was not a surprise for me. That was a plan that we will go every two days on different camping. I was prepare for that kind of exercise, by the way it does not take that long - open or close each tent takes less than 10 min. The great part is that sleeping bags , warm blankets, pillows and PJs stay all the time inside , even when the tent is closed.

4x4damian

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hi, Josh

to be honest with you:  I was feeling when somebody was leaving another tent in the middle of the night but is not that bad. Is not like on the boat :blush:  I got OLDMANEMU suspension upfront and air bag in the back of the car which gives me more stable suspension then original.

Check my video about airbag . That is the best solution for heavy stuff for the travel and also helped me offroad. I push the button and raise 4 inch up .

https://youtu.be/9VROGDDkHzE

Bonomonster

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm with you about the airbags. I run them in the back of my FJ due to the extra weight from tools and parts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk