Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Which do you recommend and why? We want to do trail running, small hills and limited rock crawling. Thanks!
I went in to buy a 2 door Rubi with half metal doors, no ac, no extra that wasn't performance; my wife came with me. I left with a 4 door with all the bells and whistles.

Here's the thing between the 2/4 door wranglers:
- if you will have passengers (kid, mother in law, etc) going into the back seat, they'll probably hate squeezing through the front seats to get back there. My wife did it once on the test drive and said no
- if you plan to carry gear (beach stuff, camping, home depot) , you'll def appreciate the extra space of the 4. The 2 had really no space until you drop the back seats flat, therefore eliminating said kids/MinL/etc
- I preferred the 2 door because of better obstacle going-over-ability. I don't rock-crawl, yet I like clearance from all the important bits underneath. If you feel you need better break over clearance, the 2 door is that. With the 4 door, a lift is required to gain the same
- the 4 door provides options with space: now I am designing a platform/drawer system, that doubles as a sleeping rack. I like sleeping in tents, however I like even more having the option to sleep comfortably inside should the need arise. 2 door won't allow this and I have no plans for a RTT
- 4 door = SPACE & OPTIONS to grow
- 2 door = SINGLE LIFE & trail maneuverability outta the box

Overall I'm glad I came home with 4 doors. I can lay down the seats for my dog during trips, I can pack it full of useless things that might be comforting at camp, it's great for beach trips as we can lay down seats and eat inside as well as take a break from the sun.

Hope this helps

Reactions: ThePittsleysOTR

Code54

Rank 0

Traveler I

We have a 2 door and LOVE it - now it is just the wife and I (kids grown) but if we are taking the kids or someone else we take a different vehicle. I like the maneuverability of the 2 door and it fits everywhere. 4 Door has a LOT more room, tows more and is a lot easier for people to get in and out of the back. I personally like the looks of a 2 door a bit more but that is just me.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Which do you recommend and why? We want to do trail running, small hills and limited rock crawling. Thanks!
A 2 door is cool but you have no space and it's lesser relaxed while cruising on the highway, short wheelbase makes it more nervous.
In reality you will have bigger tires and a lift anyway... And then you won't run into any trouble and have the space every day, more air around you and simply more possibilities.

JKel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Suwanee, GA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

I have a 2 door JK now, and am seriously considering a 4 door. The 2 door has room to carry gear if you take out the back seat, but even so it’s pretty small.

Now that my kids are getting bigger, I’m going to have to trade in for a 4 door or pick up an off-road trailer if I want to leave the back seat in. It’s simply about space.

I’m probably going the trailer route, since the 2 door is paid for. [emoji106]

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I have a 2 dr for my dog and I (occasionally my boyfriend when he isn't on his KLR) with a roof top tent. I know I am pushing the limits with how much I am carrying and will be adding heavier duty coils and shocks in the next couple of weeks to see if the handling improves. If is doesn't I will be forced to consider a 4 door. I love the looks of the 2 dr but overlanding will a modest amount gear does push its limits.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2 door fits me perfect. I have no need for a backseat and mine has been in storage since my first YJ in 1998. But you are right, very little space for camping gear, so I tow a teardrop. Fully loaded the trailer is 1200# so I have no need for the 4 door towing capacity. I never feel the 2 door limits what I do. I just work within its limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northernlady

RPDjeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Foran
Member #

I traded my TJ for a 4 dr back in 2014 which gave me room for gear and our two dogs. We now have 2 kids as well and the extra room of the 4 dr is great.