Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

Flying in to Denver Friday the 29th to pick up an LX470 my wife bought us.

We'll be spending Saturday and bit of Sunday in the area before we trek back down I-70 to St. Louis.

What should we look into? I imagine Covid has any touristy stuff closed for the most part, luckily we're just looking for food and maybe a quick drive in the mountains with the new truck before we head home.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I've only been to colorado a few times but I'd imagine most if not all the good trails in the Mountains are still closed till spring. There may be some county roads west of Denver that are open you can get views from but there will be houses or cabins too

Not too sure on food but if its like here resturaunt are still open at some capacity if not there is always gas station snacks or fast food till you can get back.

Be careful in the Mountains in snow and ice if you've never done that sort of thing.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

If I can suggest something touristy and well worth the time, it's the Garden of the Gods. I enjoy going down there from time to time. You can do some easy hiking or just drive the loop around the incredible rock formations at no cost. Then stop in at the trading post to have a nice meal at the deli, with a beautiful court yard if the weather is good. Browse the shop and check out one of the largest selection of southwestern art in the area. Some of which you might not be able to live without.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

We'll be spending Saturday and bit of Sunday in the area before we trek back down I-70 to St. Louis.

What should we look into? I imagine Covid has any touristy stuff closed for the most part, luckily we're just looking for food and maybe a quick drive in the mountains with the new truck before we head home.
Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful and you could also check out the town of Ester Park just outside the park.

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

I've only been to colorado a few times but I'd imagine most if not all the good trails in the Mountains are still closed till spring. There may be some county roads west of Denver that are open you can get views from but there will be houses or cabins too

Not too sure on food but if its like here resturaunt are still open at some capacity if not there is always gas station snacks or fast food till you can get back.

Be careful in the Mountains in snow and ice if you've never done that sort of thing.
We were in Ouray late last year. I'm not afraid of snow, Just looking for a scenic drive as opposed to a crazy 4x4 trail.

Got off Ophir Pass right as the snow came down to close the Million Dollar Hwy that day.119034598_10159124231083487_4406364684796180756_o.jpg

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

If I can suggest something touristy and well worth the time, it's the Garden of the Gods. I enjoy going down there from time to time. You can do some easy hiking or just drive the loop around the incredible rock formations at no cost. Then stop in at the trading post to have a nice meal at the deli, with a beautiful court yard if the weather is good. Browse the shop and check out one of the largest selection of southwestern art in the area. Some of which you might not be able to live without.
We did that this past September, it was a great time! Looking to stick closer to Denver vs Colorado Springs.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
We did that this past September, it was a great time! Looking to stick closer to Denver vs Colorado Springs.
You could do the Peak to Peak Hwy. Get on it from off I-70 and either take it all the way in Estes Park or bail off near Lyons.

You could drive up the Boulder Canyon to Nederland then pick up the Peak to Peak from there.

Stomper_TJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Larson
Member #

I would check out garden of the gods, as well as Hacienda Colorado. It is a local owned “Mountain Mex” and the green chili is amazing. So good

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

You could do the Peak to Peak Hwy. Get on it from off I-70 and either take it all the way in Estes Park or bail off near Lyons.

You could drive up the Boulder Canyon to Nederland then pick up the Peak to Peak from there.
Thanks, I will check that out.
We were just in Estes Park in September, If we do that though we'd probably just dip into RMNP to see it in the snow.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

You could drive to Idaho Springs and eat somewhere like Westbound & Down Brewing Company, if you can get a seat. Then drive up Virginia Canyon Rd (279) to Central City for a rural drive with pretty views and a little snow. From there you could gamble in Central City, explore more, or easily get back to I-70.

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
take the lexus over to winter park and enjoy Frasier tubing hill...beautiful area, tubing is fun but not strenuous, and the restaurants in both towns are amazing transplants from around the world.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Go hit Switzerland Trail up to Mt Alto picnic area in the Roosevelt Forest. Good spot to see how a new vehicle feels.

oh wait... I forgot its winter. Maybe don't do this. :)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Without leaving the road, anything North of I70 and West of Denver offers fabulous scenery and some very cool housing.
Maybe visit Red Rock Amphitheater. A very cool place. Almost all the big bands have played there including the Beatles.

A natural amphitheater used by North American Natives long before we discovered it.
This was one of the New Deal work projects after the Great Depression.

DSC_00845237.JPG

Last edited: