Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm thinking of doing a 2-3 day solo trip in the Eastern Sierras at the end of August. I'm meeting my cousin in Mammoth Lakes for a day or two before heading out, or I might meet them after. Either way, any suggestions? I'm wanting to check-out Bodie, but also open to other places.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I'm thinking of doing a 2-3 day solo trip in the Eastern Sierras at the end of August. I'm meeting my cousin in Mammoth Lakes for a day or two before heading out, or I might meet them after. Either way, any suggestions? I'm wanting to check-out Bodie, but also open to other places.
If you are going to Bodie, you might want to go from Masonic to Bodie then if you have time head over to Aurora and check out the graveyard. Lots to do and see over there it all depends on how much time you have. There is really good camping just above Bodie.

Reactions: Speric

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
If you are going to Bodie, you might want to go from Masonic to Bodie then if you have time head over to Aurora and check out the graveyard. Lots to do and see over there it all depends on how much time you have. There is really good camping just above Bodie.
Thanks for the tip. I think this might work. I haven't done any exploring out there, just don't want to get over my head on a solo trip.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the tip. I think this might work. I haven't done any exploring out there, just don't want to get over my head on a solo trip.
I can DM with waypoints if you would like

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Check out Kavanaugh Ridge. Not very difficult and a nice spot to see a small high altitude lake. Big enough that if it is crowded you can still feel secluded (was just there and there was 6 groups at the lake, but I still felt somewhat secluded considering)

Doc Foster

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Frederick, MD
First Name
JAY
Last Name
FOSTER
I have been there 3 times over the years (and I live in Maryland). Make sure you drive all the way to the end of the road and be sure to visit the Visitor Center and Patriarch Grove.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I’ll didn’t make it there this year but went up there a couple of years ago. That’s a really cool place.

I ended up doing a loop similar to what @PapaDave posted for the Bodie trip earlier this summer.

Reactions: PapaDave