1st time to Southern Arizona

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

We started our overland trip across S. AZ after a brief rest in Tucson following ou 1700 mile interstate "sprint" from Atlanta, GA.

Our introduction began south of Sierra Vista, AZ as we began the Mexican Border Road. The track was absolutely beautiful with perfect weather and temps both day and night from December 11 thru 13. We camped at the Parker Lake campground which seemed about right after a late start Monday. The place was virtually empty save two motor homes at top of the camp grounds. We had the entire west facing point above the lake to ourselves. We had coyotes crying all night across the lake and a great sunset to enjoy in the cool evening breeze.

The route could be completed with most any type vehicle if you consider airing down and adjusting speed appropriately to accomodate the washboard gravel road.

The best part was the grassland desert scenery with high shelf-road views looking South towards the Mexican border.

We experienced no interactions with immigrants nor drug runners.

After finishing up outside Nogales, AZ we drove quickly yo Ajo, AZ for an quick visit to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. More on that later.

Attachments

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Despite living in the Pacific Northwest now, I’m quite familiar with this area. I lived in Sierra Vista while being stationed at Ft Huachuca for a year. I spent many weekends exploring the Huachucas, the Mule Mountains, the areas around Patagonia and Nogales. I miss it every day.

Reactions: Ohhhgeee

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I bet you do miss it - in the winter.

The only summer I've experienced here was 2 yrs ago and it was pretty rough! But you would know that much better than me...

I spent about 9 months in the NW while stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA back in 1977.

Loved it up there along with the hiking and camping (when on my own time) was just outstanding. The brief time I spent on maneuvers in the Yakima desert were not so great, however.

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Update on our Arizona trip, part 2:

We wanted to get in some time at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat. Monument so we left Nogales and hopped on I-19 then ran west to Ajo for a quick yet cheap hotel for a shower and non-camping nights sleep.

Early the following morning we checked in at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Reserve visitor center in Ajo securing a permit to run El Camino del Diablo. We then headed to Kris Eggle visitor center south of Why, AZ to check-in there and drive the Puerto Blanco loop west of AZ hwy 85.

That ride was also very scenic but we didnt see as many organ pipe cactus as I was expecting.

In the "planning" sequence I was intending to drive up Pozo Nuevo Rd, intersect with Bates Well Rd then hang a left and drive - BUT... the road was blocked by road construction. Errg, plan B...

So we finished the loop stopping for a brief time at the small pond/spring just north of the Mexican border, Quitobaquito spring. There were at least half a dozen American Coots swimming in the pond with a lot of song birds everywhere in the trees.

My wife got upset with me for walking over to the border "fence" which is (at this location) nothing more than a low, vehicle-entry prevention structure.

With the road blockage we had to drive all the way back up to Ajo then left onto Bates Well which eventually connects with El Camino del Diablo. After doing all this driving around we were late hitting the trail so we set up camp at Bates Well.

The location was convenient BUT... I didn't have a clue how much traffic would be going up and down the road! At least every 10 minutes a truck, truck & trailer, van, quad or Razor was blasting by. I kept falling asleep then waking up - over and over! At one point I walked out towards the road to see who in hell was so busy on the dusty road...Border Patrol, of course.

One big highlight of the night was the awesome number of shooting stars from, the Geminid Meteor shower. One meteor in particular left a lighted tail from about 45 degrees above the eastern horizon to beyond 35 degrees in the western sky. It was the longest and most intense shooting star I've ever seen!

Next morning we left and, of course, discovered a Border patrol barracks just past the intersection of Bates Well and Pozo Nuevo roads. That made everything seem more understandable - even if I was sleep deprived.

Below I'll add pics of Puerto Blanco loop and a couple from Bates Well camp.

Attachments