Rank III

Contributor III

Hemet, ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Mccalister
Member #

So I have had my 2002 Xterra 4x4 for about a year. I thought about getting rid of it and getting something a little nicer. Its paint is shot, no head liner, etc, and it has a noisey lifter. But since it is paid for, runs good, and only has 89k miles I have decided to dive in and build it up. I am sure I will be doing common upgrades that have been done by eberyone else (3 inch lift, 2 inch body lift, 33's, etc). I just want a decently capable 4x4 that I can take camping and on some good trails. Now I gotta go spend some money.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Need pics!

Welcome.

I wish mine only had 89k. I'm sitting just below 150k.

What kind of off road experience do you have?

A PML and 32s will get you practically everywhere the 3in kit will get you.

The 3in kit doesn't get you any more clearance either. And installing a body lift is a lot of work, that only gains you 1/2 in (32 VS 33in tires). You can fit 265/75r16 tires on a stock height 1dt Gen, and then do the PML.

I'd personally do skids, sliders, beef up the steering, and call it a day. Then send it.

If you want to learn all about the first Gen X, head over to xterranation.com.

RyanX

Rank III

Contributor III

Hemet, ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Mccalister
Member #

Yeah I am going to do the PML first. Replaced the stock shocks a few months ago. Maybe I will hold off on the body lift

Reactions: Dusther210

RyanX

Rank III

Contributor III

Hemet, ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Mccalister
Member #

I am getting close to needing a timing belt change so I wasnt sure if I wanted to put the money into it. But I like driving it, ac works great, and it is paid for. I drive it to work once a week 45 minutes each way. Wish it had a little more power. And the lifter noise is annoying sometimes.

Reactions: Dusther210

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Yeah, d22 xterras are slow, get crap gas milage, but I'll be damned if they don't go pretty much anywhere.

I don't have to worry about my timing belt for another 50k. I don't envy that bill.

On the plus side, at least you don't have to worry about pinstriping!

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Hey welcome fellow Xterra owner!

I too have a first gen Xterra that I am building overland style.
2003 Atomic Orange XE 4X4 AT

Yes! Definitely build away! You won't be disappointed. I love the simplicity of these vehicles. 100% all mechanical 4WD system which is unheard of these days. Yeah it's slow and yeah it's a thirsty pig but they're very durable and simple to work on. I plan on driving mine till the wheels fall off.

My build thread:

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Welcome fellow Xterra owner!
These things are awesome, both of mine have about 170k and are bulletproof… but I get 13mpg…
I don’t have a fancy build thread, but I have a water drip coming from the sagging headliner where it meets the windshield… and a water sloshing sound up on the roof for days whenever it rains (is it just me?)

Currently running 265/75r16. My frontier has a PML, no rubbing etc on either one.

If you take care of them they treat you well

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Unlike SOME people, I won't post picture of my rig in your thread :laughing: (just giving ya'll a hard time!).

My rig is stock height, running stock 265/70r16 tires, and I've not found that to be a hindrance at all. I've rubbed the frame rails a couple of times, and that's it.

I'd say you're better off figuring out a way to carry extra fuel. I'm considering buying a 12gal marine fuel tank, and putting it on the roof.

If you'd like check out my build for some ideas as well, you may do so here: