1HDT 80 series

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Rank IV

Advocate III

Laurencekirk, UK
Member #

Hello everyone

Not posted much for a long time, last I posted was about my Defender 110, since then I have sold the vehicle after continuous failures, and I got fed up of rebuilding it Haha.

So, I bought a 1991 80 series Landcruiser GX, the truck has been in the family a number of years and I bought it from my old man since he picked up a 200.

It's a Japanese import, with 120k miles on the clock. The previous owners towed an Airstream from Japan to Italy then drove on to the UK with it, when it arrived the engine let go, and the garage in charge of the work stole multiple parts.
Long story short, My father rebuilt the truck from the ground up. This was about 7 years back and has been used fairly hard with farm tasks and towing. But has no rot, mechanically is solid and is a pleasure to drive in comparison to the Landy

Specs are -

1HDT

Dobinsons shocks and 4inch lift, inc all appropriate components

Front barwork with 12k winch

Lightforce spotlights

Hancook M/T 285/75/16

Tufftrek RTT

Tufftrek 2.5 awning

ARB compressor

FUTURE WORKS

The 80 isn't quite how I'd like it to be and I have some upcoming work planned, I'm designing and building a rear bumper and swing away tyre carrier.

I have a spare 80 that is rotten and has full lockers (mine doesnt), these will be rebuilt and put on.

I'm rebuilding the spare steering box currently as the one on the truck has a leak.

Plenty time just now for works due to Covid, and I'll try my best to keep up to date with the build.

Attachments

Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Rank IV

Advocate III

Laurencekirk, UK
Member #

Update -

So since my 80 is a 91, it came with breaks that are rubbish The spare parts truck I have has the bigger breaks on it, after Toyota realised the mistake.

From what I understand, all that is needed is the calipers, backing blade and discs for this to work, though some people report needing the hub units also.

So I spent an hour stripping them off and they will be blasted, rebuilt and painted before being installed.

Hopefully this will help with being able to stop!!

Attachments

Ob1

Rank V
Benefactor

Pathfinder III

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD6UKE
Great rig mate. I've had mine FZJ80 since 1998, and just did a 1HDFT/H151 transplant. Love that vehicle and put 40K miles in 18 months. I wrote a blog on the build on this forum.

Enjoy it. They will last forever.

Cheers

Reactions: Stewart (Stu) Pirie