1999 Yukon

• HTML tutorial

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Hi fellow overlanders!!

Im am new to the forum and would love some idea's. I just bought a 99 Yukon with 92k on it. Doing a 4inch lift now. Thinking about building a safari rack with ladder?? Any advise? I either learn to weld or spend a couple k I don't have.. Figured basic welding would be a good skill.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Definitely invest time in learning to weld if you can. With just a few projects you'll more than get your money back on the welder. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Got any other plans?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

with such a large interior area is a rack really needed ? I would say take it out on some trips toss all your gear in and see what you need rather than build it first assuming what you need. Look around I've seen some really really nice builds done without a welder . Also keep an eye on Craigslist and other sources like that you can sometimes see them pop up for a couple hundred bucks you may need to trim it to your needs but it's a lot easier than building one from scratch

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Personally if it was me first order of business would be service the transmission, change out all the fluids, belts and hoses, step up to a little bit better brakes, make sure all the steering components and suspension are in good shape before you go lifting it

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Transmission should be serviced every 20K
Hey guys great advice! Transmission serviced suspension is in great shape steering box was recently replaced… 4 inch lift with 33’s.
I do a lot of one night camping trips up to Sonoma Coast for spearfishing abalone diving etc. I often just sleep in the back so the Safari rack will be used to house all of my gear...
Found a used ARB bumper with 8000 pound winch 1300 should I buy it? Almost brand new shape…
I have noticed the brakes are a little outmatched for the vehicles weight, down the road I think I will replace them but for now they’re at 90% they will work

Reactions: Camp_Llama

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hey guys great advice! Transmission serviced suspension is in great shape steering box was recently replaced… 4 inch lift with 33’s.
I do a lot of one night camping trips up to Sonoma Coast for spearfishing abalone diving etc. I often just sleep in the back so the Safari rack will be used to house all of my gear...
Found a used ARB bumper with 8000 pound winch 1300 should I buy it? Almost brand new shape…
I have noticed the brakes are a little outmatched for the vehicles weight, down the road I think I will replace them but for now they’re at 90% they will work
My bumper cost me around $200 tops. Freed up some coin to spend on a decent winch. It's definitely uglier than an ARB but it does the job. But $1300 is a decent deal depending on the winch it comes with.

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Any suggestions on after market center console?? I was checking out police rig parts but can’t find anything for 90s generation?

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Fabricated (first fabrication project) a new center console to use more of the center hump space and fit a sub with out using any additional space... used factory brackets and added a ton of usable space, and now have a mounting point for CB. console1.jpgconsole2.jpgconsole4.jpg

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Welcome! Good to see another big GMC. I am currently working on a 97 GMC Suburban. All I did was buy a 64" rack from Amazon for like $130 and i have the split rear doors that open to the sides so I didn't have to do a ladder. But i think you have the hatch so you would need a ladder.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Got this Baja rack on CL cheap... will work for now.
As for the ladder I have seen a few welded to the back quarter panel so both barn doors a clear, I think that is what I will do when I have more time.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

My Burb has the hatch, thinking about putting a hinge on the top of the ladder and a disconnect on the bumper so it moves up with the hatch when I open it. Thought about the quarter panel but too worried I'd hit trees with it.

Nico

Rank 0

Traveler I

napa
Good call on the tree's did not even think about that..
I would like to see more photos of similar projects but not a lot out there of these trucks?