Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
TIM
Last Name
BARRETT
Member #

Hey everyone, I'm new to Overland Bound and overlanding. As I'm going through upgrading my truck and everyone I know asks if I'm having a midlife crisis, I thought it might be nice to share with a community that understands! So, I decided to start a build thread here.

I bought a 1999 LX470 with 237k miles. I'm hoping what I've read about these engines is true, and that I can get 4-500k miles out of it. If not I'll be looking for feed back on rebuilding / upgrading the engine because I've got way too much into this already to ever sell it!

The truck was fairly neglected needing a bit of work mechanically including a new timing belt, alternator, two CV Axel replacements, a ball joint and various other more minor mechanical repairs. I got it cheap and there was a reason!

Cosmetically I've re-uppulstered the front seats, which were shredded and I'm in the process of repairing and dyeing the rest of the seats. They were all very worn, torn, stained, etc. It was rough...

I found the leather for the front seats on eBay for $135 a piece. I watched some YouTube videos and read another forum on how to install. Each seat took me about three hours. It can probably be done faster. I've never done anything like that before. I think they came out great!

Also, cosmetic, I plasti-dipped the faded front grille and rear emblems. I was nervous about this but it was easy and came out great. I doesn't look like my grandma's car anymore!

I abandoned the stock suspension and AHC. I had 4Wheel Parts install all new old man emu heavy duty suspension and 2.5" lift, and 285/75/16 BFG KO2 tires, including a full size spare which no longer fits under the car. I kept the stock rims and spray painted them satin black after watching the Overland Bound video on his rims. They look great and I feel good about being able to abuse them. I can always repaint them. I deleted the stock running boards in anticipation of installing rock sliders.

After the lift I noticed the tires look narrow. I've ordered 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers that will be installed soon.

I REALLY wanted the Gobi rack but when I ordered it the lead time was going to be 4 months and I'm trying to go on a trip the second week of October. I had to cancel that order. I toyed with the idea of building my own rack but settled on the Prinsu. I liked the look and modular design and they could get it to me in time. It arrived yesterday. I'm excited to get it on the truck! I have a large family (wife + 4 kids) so the seats will be filled with bodies requiring the majority of the gear to go on the rack.

I also installed a new head unit and back up camera.

I found a local fabricator that is currently building and installing rock sliders, front winch bumper, super winch with synthetic cable, rear swing out bumper with spare tire carrier and replacing one of the stock skid plates that is plastic. I'm keeping the front skid plate which is metal.

Here's a few photos of the evolution so far... I'll upload more as things progress. 00000IMG_00000_BURST20190916094115381_COVER.jpegIMG_20190902_085214.jpegMVIMG_20190901_151719.jpegIMG_20190901_191030.jpegIMG_20190902_085015.jpegIMG_20190902_092159.jpeg00000IMG_00000_BURST20190905164242387_COVER.jpegIMG955088.jpegIMG955086.jpegScreenshot_20190921-111942.jpegScreenshot_20190921-112018.jpeg

Attachments

Weasel06

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kenmore, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wies
Member #

This is looking good. I just got myself a 2006 LX 470. Your list of upgrades are exactly what I have planned. I’d personally appreciate you sending updates on your build.

Reactions: Tim Barrett

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

I'm going through upgrading my truck and everyone I know asks if I'm having a midlife crisis
Sounds like a good "mid life crisis" to me! The older I get, the more I want to get away from everyone (except for a few like minded people).

I love my Tacoma, but sometimes think about a 100 series LC / LX 470 to build up.

Reactions: Tim Barrett

Tim Barrett

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
TIM
Last Name
BARRETT
Member #

It's taken longer with the fabricator than I anticipated but here's a few more update photos. There's a few photos of the rear bumper progress and one when I took it for a spin briefly before it had a front bumper. It will have a custom rear swing out tire carrier and a super winch in the front. IMG955197.jpegIMG955163.jpegIMG955155.jpeg00000IMG_00000_BURST20191004085344464_COVER.jpeg

Reactions: Weasel06

Tim Barrett

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
TIM
Last Name
BARRETT
Member #

Sounds like a good "mid life crisis" to me! The older I get, the more I want to get away from everyone (except for a few like minded people).

I love my Tacoma, but sometimes think about a 100 series LC / LX 470 to build up.
It's funny you say that, the LX has taken longer than I thought with the fabricator and I'm now considering selling my daily driver BMW 3 series convertible and buying a Tundra as well. I'd look at the Tacoma's but need the front bench seat for my wife and kids. We have four.