Rank III

Enthusiast I

Waco, Texas, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Hickman
Member #

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 Land Rover Discovery with roughly 130,000 miles, and am wanting to know if anyone has any information that might help on this decision. They are only asking $1500 USD which makes me a little iffy on the purchase. They have kept up with the maintenance, Including axle and coolant systems replacement/services, and have records to prove it. Besides that, it appears to be stock.

I do not have much experience with British vehicles. But was a mechanic for years, and have worked on a extremely wide selection of vehicles and equipment. It seems like it would be a good buy, I just don't want to waste my money. Plus I have been having to get rides for over a year now due to vehicle issues that are well beyond my current budget. Even with me doing the work. Gotta love Being a full time student working on two degrees while your 41.

Figured asking on here would be a great place to figure out realistic expectations when I go look at it.

Is there anything I should check that would be an absolute no deal?
What are the known issues, and how do I check them?
Does any one have any personal preferences with reasons to back them up?
What is the typical long term maintenance like?
Can I do the majority of work on it, or do I have to take it to a dealer or shop?

Any answers or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 Land Rover Discovery with roughly 130,000 miles, and am wanting to know if anyone has any information that might help on this decision. They are only asking $1500 USD which makes me a little iffy on the purchase. They have kept up with the maintenance, Including axle and coolant systems replacement/services, and have records to prove it. Besides that, it appears to be stock.

I do not have much experience with British vehicles. But was a mechanic for years, and have worked on a extremely wide selection of vehicles and equipment. It seems like it would be a good buy, I just don't want to waste my money. Plus I have been having to get rides for over a year now due to vehicle issues that are well beyond my current budget. Even with me doing the work. Gotta love Being a full time student working on two degrees while your 41.

Figured asking on here would be a great place to figure out realistic expectations when I go look at it.

Does any one have any personal preferences with reasons to back them up?
What is the typical long term maintenance like?
Can I do the majority of work on it, or do I have to take it to a dealer or shop?

Any answers or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I picked up a 96 discovery 3 years ago. I did all the research that I though was needed but when it comes to British rigs you never really know. I've been lucky so far, so I have been told. It now has 170k. Still get alittle scared on the long trips. So far all repairs have been inexpensive and was able to do myself.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@firecraft13 ask your questions here - it is a dedicated Land rover forum you will get a better set of answers Discovery II - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

But to answer your questions :

Rust - in the rear frame
Overheating or any other cooling issue

Normal 21 year old used vehicle checks - check the codes etc
Oil change frequency -more than once a year is ok
Front drive shaft condition these fail and takeout the transmission
Last time diff and transfer case were serviced
Last time the transmission was serviced if ever - just fluid and filter change

Engine temps you will need a bluetooth ODB dongle and something like Torque, the dash gauge is an idiot light. Depending on thermostat warmed up and running :
  • 180 thermostat 188 moving 197-201 idling at along light
  • 190 thermostat 200ish moving 220 idle at light - and you will want to get rid of that and get a 180
  • Any higher than those by more than a couple of degrees could be a big problem
Any significant ticking if you can hear in the cab at 30 mph pass - rockers or bottom end
3 amigos ABS/ TC and hill descent lights on indicates a problem with speed sensors or other issues - check after a test drive

Long term maintenance yup you are buying a 22 year old truck there will be things to fix, bank 2 grand a year and leave it there (roll it over and add each year) should cover it if the truck is sound to start.
Little stuff will fail, sensors will fail etc. the site above has people who can walk you through almost anything

You can service almost everything yourself it s a basic and I mean basic push rod/lifter engine with a big engine bay. I did head gaskets engine in, in my driveway. There are a fair number of 12 point sockets and hex key fasteners.

NOW FOR THE BAD

It is a sleeved fully aluminum engine designed in the 1960's and constantly updated. As a result it has some weakness :

1. ANY significant overheat will likely cause a head gasket failure and possible head warpage - all aluminum engine/head combos have this issue to some extent
  2. MAJOR overheating over a long time can cause the steel liners to slip or crack the block along with warping the heads
  3. Cooling system is a bit under provisioned with a pre 2003 you can do an inline thermostat mod and add a 170 deg thermostat to help
  4. it has an eccentric geared oil pump that can crack it is a pain to change but not a common fault.
You should do oil changes every 3000 to 5000 miles 10/40 weight ideally old engine design with loose tolerances that are now looser with age
Gas mileage is non-existent 25 gal tank and you get about 250 to 300 miles at best on 91 octane (required octane level)

I love my 04 it runs well and goes everywhere the old style Defenders do without issue. The center locking Diff/Traction control combo work really well once you figure out how to drive it.

Here is a little motivation for you the grey one at the end is me, I think the back is a 99

Bingham

Rank 0

Contributor I

Nottingham, UK
First Name
daniel
Last Name
bingham
If it were me I would grab it but I love Land rovers

The main issues with these are overheating and rust.

Now don't panic it's all fixable, the all alloy engine is good..... Ish. Personally I don't like them as I prefer the older 300tdi engine in the disco 1 but the v8 isn't bad.

If it overheats then the headgaskets will usually fail. If the dash light (idiot light) comes on its usually to late but a decent obd2 reader and accompanying app will help keep an eye on them.

Rust, 99% of the time its in the rear part of the frame. It's not a massive issue if you know how to weld.

Iv had one with the td5 engine, it was lovely but I ended up going back to the 300tdi disco 1 for the simplicity.

If you have any issues/questions feel free to ask and if I don't know the answer I'm sure one of my mates will.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

They can be amazing vehicles. If they are only asking 1500 bucks for it, though, there's no way they've kept up with maintenance. Walk away.