Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
Here is my rig. I bought it in May of 2021 with a pretty bad rod knock. In that time, I have put a lot of work and effort into this truck.
Its a 1999 K2500 Suburban, 7.4l(454), 4l80e, with Autotrac 4wd.
I bought it with 210k miles.

I bought a parts truck, and pulled a good running motor. From there I replaced every gasket and seal, new oil pump, distributor, injectors, plugs, wires etc.
New Wheels(from a Hummer H2), which I had to make custom center caps for.
Falken Wildpeak AT3W 33"

I then ended up completely redoing the front suspension. Every single bushing was bad. So all of that got replaced, as well as CV shafts, wheel bearings, brakes etc.

It was basically ready to go last summer, but I ended up deploying and missing out on the season. So this year we are going to get out and enjoy the wilderness. Just me and my 2 kids, and 2 dogs.

IMG_4842.JPGIMG_4814.JPGIMG_4816.JPG

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
I will continue to grow and post more gear, as well as more mods I intend to do to the truck.

Tent: Tuff Stuff Ranger
Fridge: ICECO VL60

Future mods:
Locker in the rear
Exterior Lighting
Front Bumper with winch
Rear bumper with spare tire mount

Reactions: MazeVX and Mekcanix

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
After the trip of the pictures I posted, she needed a new alternator. So I got that squared away. Then she went to the shop for some A/C work. There was a hole in the line coming off the compressor.

$650 later, that is fixed, and the A/C works flawlessly.

Now on our first long trip the tensioner pulley was screaming. So I stopped and bought one from the first parts store I saw. Took about 20 mins in a Loves parking lot to replace it. Should be good for our extended trip this week!

Reactions: MazeVX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

After the trip of the pictures I posted, she needed a new alternator. So I got that squared away. Then she went to the shop for some A/C work. There was a hole in the line coming off the compressor.

Now on our first long trip the tensioner pulley was screaming. So I stopped and bought one from the first parts store I saw. Took about 20 mins in a Loves parking lot to replace it. Should be good for our extended trip this week!
There was a time those serpentine tensioner pulleys for GMT 400's were no available in dealerships anymore and not yet available at auto zone

Reactions: '52Chevy

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
There was a time those serpentine tensioner pulleys for GMT 400's were no available in dealerships anymore and not yet available at auto zone
I'm glad that is no longer the case! It may have lasted through the whole trip, but just wasn't worth the risk to me.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Best mod I ever did on my 99 with the 454 was swap out to the 7 pot Bosch injectors. The stock one have a tendency to leak down after the truck sits for a bit (like if you drive it and then you park somewhere for an hour and then go to start it again sometimes they take a little extra to get going) . I noticed a much smoother idle and that little bit over quarter quarter throttle dead spot was gone , also gained 2 mpgs on the highway .

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
Best mod I ever did on my 99 with the 454 was swap out to the 7 pot Bosch injectors. The stock one have a tendency to leak down after the truck sits for a bit (like if you drive it and then you park somewhere for an hour and then go to start it again sometimes they take a little extra to get going) . I noticed a much smoother idle and that little bit over quarter quarter throttle dead spot was gone , also gained 2 mpgs on the highway .
When I was doing everything during the motor swap, I installed 4 pot Bosch style injectors. Never had it running with the stock injectors so I'm not sure what the difference actually was. I haven't had any issues though.

Soon I will be doing a computer swap, and tune, and I should be able to get better mileage and throttle response out of that as well.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I had a 1994, the 2 door model, so it was the k1500 Blazer. Silverado was still a top trim level.

I was working on the water pump when that tensioner pulley bolt broke. Nothing, nowhere was available so I cobbed something up. I'm STILL sorry I let that thing go. 30 gallon gas tank, relatively short wheelbase, enclosed, locked storage, 5.7 liter engine. And the technology and lack of technology was a good blend for being able to do it yourself.

Reactions: '52Chevy

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That dead spot is a real GM signature

'52Chevy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Idaho, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Musil
Service Branch
Air Force
Well my adventure hasn't even started. Been fighting a major misfire, and stalling issue. *facepalm*