Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

yeah even on Yakima's website when I pick your year, make, and model it doesn't list the Q clips and towers...
I can always fabricate something up in my shop if they dont work. I dont really mind drilling into the roof as long as i seal it. This was a weird year for the Silverado.

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I’ve put over a thousand miles on those General Grabber ATXs and I’ve been very impressed. I drove 200 miles on the interstate at 85mph and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet they were. When it’s really slick and snowy out they handle well too. Just did some hunting deep into Tom Miner and was able to help several hunters and hikers who were stuck.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My old silverado was 3dr and I didnt like it much

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Was bored on Craigslist and ended up finding a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser. For the price I couldn’t walk away from it. Now i think I will take my Silverado in a different direction. Build it into more of a base camp / recovery vehicle.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Was bored on Craigslist and ended up finding a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser. For the price I couldn’t walk away from it. Now i think I will take my Silverado in a different direction. Build it into more of a base camp / recovery vehicle.
Nice find! It had that gear already on it?

Reactions: FJ Montana

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Nice find, I remember when they first came out I made a offer on one but they said no ive always thght it was a 20k truck new

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Nice find! It had that gear already on it?
Yup it had everything I could pretty much want on it already. All for 10k.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
I found a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 160k miles for sale a couple hours from me. It was incredibly cheap due to the massive dent down the driver side. I waited a couple months and watched the price drop lower and lower till I couldn’t help myself and went and picked it up. She has a few issues but overall has been really well put together. She came with 265/75/16 Duratracs with barely a season left in them so after the winter I took them off and put on a new set of 265/75/16 General Grabber ATX’s and have been pleased so far.
I need new tires for my 99 2500 Silverado (Not HD). Just starting to outfit for overland. Was looking at bumping from 245s to 265s. Please advise is yours fit ok. Any rubbing? Any suspension mods I must do. Know the speedo will need calibrating. Thanks

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I found a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 160k miles for sale a couple hours from me. It was incredibly cheap due to the massive dent down the driver side. I waited a couple months and watched the price drop lower and lower till I couldn’t help myself and went and picked it up. She has a few issues but overall has been really well put together. She came with 265/75/16 Duratracs with barely a season left in them so after the winter I took them off and put on a new set of 265/75/16 General Grabber ATX’s and have been pleased so far.
I need new tires for my 99 2500 Silverado (Not HD). Just starting to outfit for overland. Was looking at bumping from 245s to 265s. Please advise is yours fit ok. Any rubbing? Any suspension mods I must do. Know the speedo will need calibrating. Thanks
On the 265/75/16R there hasn’t been any rubbing whatsoever. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever. However with the LT model this was the standard size.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
On the 265/75/16R there hasn’t been any rubbing whatsoever. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever. However with the LT model this was the standard size.
Thanks. My LS has the 245s. Door sticker matches. Must be a difference between the HD and soccer mom models. I was counting on GM only having one body setup for all. Going with 265 Cooper M/T MAXX. Heading into our snow season should be able to do a good eval on traction.

Reactions: FJ Montana

{Nate10920}

Rank III

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
H
Member #

Nice looking trucks!! Totally jealous of that FJ find.
I picked up a 2020 Chevy 5.3 1500 Crew Cab LT 4x4 (oof! That was long winded). I love it! Do you guys recommend an online wheel & tire shop?
I'm honestly not real sure what will fit, but I'd like to shoot for 33s or 34s. I plan on throwing a 2" suspension lift on it, but I may have to pick and choose what comes first.
Currently running 255/70/17's. They're suppose to equal a 31" tire but I measured them to be closer to 29.75". Sorry for the ramble. Spouting out things in hopes of finding some direction. haha
I'm also looking at hard top shells. I kind of like the idea of sleeping in the back and just keeping things out of the elements. I'll definitely be looking for one with tracks on top for mounting things. I'm waiting to hear back with a quote on an ARE, but I may check out Leer as well. I swear I saw a shell with a rooftop tent mounted to it once. Seems a bit sketchy though. Those built in tent/shells are nice, but not quite ready to throw $10k at one.
Well, thanks for listening!

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Nice looking trucks!! Totally jealous of that FJ find.
I picked up a 2020 Chevy 5.3 1500 Crew Cab LT 4x4 (oof! That was long winded). I love it! Do you guys recommend an online wheel & tire shop?
I'm honestly not real sure what will fit, but I'd like to shoot for 33s or 34s. I plan on throwing a 2" suspension lift on it, but I may have to pick and choose what comes first.
Currently running 255/70/17's. They're suppose to equal a 31" tire but I measured them to be closer to 29.75". Sorry for the ramble. Spouting out things in hopes of finding some direction. haha
I'm also looking at hard top shells. I kind of like the idea of sleeping in the back and just keeping things out of the elements. I'll definitely be looking for one with tracks on top for mounting things. I'm waiting to hear back with a quote on an ARE, but I may check out Leer as well. I swear I saw a shell with a rooftop tent mounted to it once. Seems a bit sketchy though. Those built in tent/shells are nice, but not quite ready to throw $10k at one.
Well, thanks for listening!
Congrats on the new pickup! As for online wheel and tire shop the only time I’ve ever bought online was through Costco. There’s a nice mom and pop tire store here in town that has some of the best service I’ve ever experienced at a fraction of the price of any chain I’ve seen so I just went through them. That being said, discount tire always has some amazing deals. The closest one to me is 2 hours away but if you’re lucky enough to have them closer I’d say it’s worth looking into.

I enjoy having a topper on my truck. My last Dakota had one with a roof top tent on top of that. I certainly understand the apprehension of Installing one on top.

My .02 ¢ would be to get a solid reliable topper (Both ARE and Leer are great in my opinion) that has a rack on it. Use that rack to install a basket or a holder for any activities you like to do outdoors (kayaking, snowboarding etc) and just make a platform with carpeting in the bed of the truck. That way you can utilize the entire bed for storage or just throw a blow up mattress on it and have a sleeping area as well as storage.

The rooftop tent is nice on my FJ but it has some downsides too. Cuts down on your gas mileage, when you are hung over after a night getting drunk with your friends at a fire it’s a pain to put back. Plus if you have one set up you are loath to pack it up again. There have been a couple times where the only reason I was able to experience some amazing sights was we had another vehicle that we took because once the tent and kitchen were set up my rig was not going to be Packed up again.