Altadena, California, United States
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6JIY
This feels like the right place to start gathering and sharing information for my build.

When I built out my Jeep Scrambler, I guessed at a lot of things when it came to what things weighed and ended up with a pretty heavy beast. I'm happy with how that works off road, but driving it on a highway to a trail is less than pleasant. That's putting it mildly and it's a lot of work to drive it on the road. For that reason I don't drive it too far from home.

The goal for my 4Runner is to carefully plan out the build in advance and keep it under its GVWR. It will be the vehicle I take long distance on highways to get to the dirt I'm looking for. I may have to end up towing a trailer, but want to get this all figured out in advance, so that I only build it once.

I've built a planning spreadsheet and am including the weight of each factory item I remove, as well as, the weight of the aftermarket item I add.

I went to a CAT Certified Scale yesterday while the vehicle is still stock with the exception of the BFG KO2s in 265/75 R16 that I just put on to see what the real number is for my weight. With a full tank of gas and me in the vehicle it weighs 4,360 lbs. With a GVWR of 5,250 lbs that only leaves me 890 lbs to play with, which isn't a lot.

I'm trying to find out how much the factory roof rack system weighs on my 3rd Gen 4Runner. I'm going to replace it with a Prinsu Full Roof Rack to put a Roofnest Condor XL tent on it, but I want to know what my gains/losses will be for doing that.

I've been doing Google searches and have not been able to find the answer. All I keep finding is the capacity of the roof rack. I'm pretty sure people have posted the answer many times in various places on the Internet, but I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone out there know what the factory roof rack system actually weighs in a 1999 3rd Gen 4Runner?