1998 Jeep ZJ, Questions on parts and vehicle info

• HTML tutorial

ridgerunner84

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SC
Hey guys! I might be getting a '98 ZJ and wanted to see what you guys recommend for a few things.

It has the 5.2L engine. Does anyone have any documentation on octane requirements? I've been told regular is fine by some, and others say it requires high octane, but no one can ever show me any proof of either way.

I'm looking at the Hanson Offroad winch guard bumper, Hanson Offroad: JZJ1202-P: ZJ WINCHGUARD FRONT BUMPER, ZJ Front Bumpers
It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I have heard mixed reviews on the company and how long it can take to get products. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I want to lift it a little, not a ton. I think 31's are the biggest I would go. What brands would you guys recommend for a lift and how much lift will I need for 31's? I know I will probably have to do some cutting of the wheel-well to make them fit.

As far as budget, this is just going to be a piece at a time as I can afford it. I will save from piece to piece. I want quality parts, but I don't have to have THE BEST. I don't mind spending money on quality products, I just don't want to waste money when I could save a little on an equal product.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
With regard to Hanson, I have no direct experience with them, but I can tell you that they have been around for awhile. They are no Johnny come lately, here today, gone tomorrow operation. If delivery times are an issue, call them first and ask upfront what you should expect in terms of delivery time. They should be able to tell you how long it should take to get your bumper out to you.

As to lift, I expect a ZJ to be comparable to an XJ on that front. Two or Three inches of lift should get you 31"s without having to trim your fenders. My recommendation would be Old Man Emu for your lift. I would talk to Dirk at DPG offroad about what you are striving for and let him suggest the best components to get you there.

Losttexan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texarkana, Texas
First Name
Kiff
Last Name
Barker
Member #

I have a ZJ with 5.9 it requires high octane. I’m using a superchips programmer which allows me to run 87 octane just fine. I’ve been using it for several years no issues.
As for Hanson they used to be great. I have one on the rear of my ZJ. I waited about 5 months. I waited 9 months for a JKU rear bumper. Unfortunately it took a lot of emails, phone calls, and multiple shipments to get everything. Basically I got the run around.
Good luck if you go that route.
Trailready used to build bumpers for the ZJ not sure if they still do.