1998 Ford F250 light duty

• HTML tutorial

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Thank you for the tips! So, you power the extra fuse box and then run the relays off the fuse box? Can you use a fuse box like that to run a winch and wire in aux power ports? Could you run a CB off of it as well? I have big plans haha.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Haha! Yeah Basically! But not the winch. The winch you will want to run heavy gauge cables straight to the battery and frame, and have it's own self resetting circuit breaker. I made the mistake of using a traditional type circuit breaker when I first wired up my winch, and then realized real quick that was a mistake. I had to pop my hood and manually reset it every time it would trip. I quickly swapped it out for one that self resets. You can pretty much use the fuse block to run almost any accessory that you want. Just make sure that your power wire going to the block is sufficient enough to handle all the lights and accessories.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

I hear ya! In fact I'm gonna need to rip into my wiring again here real soon. I have a few other light Ideas that I'm gonna play around with, and I also need to install my new remote start/alarm system. So, I'll be rerouting and cleaning up some of my previously installed wiring and making some improvements while I'm all up in there. I'm definitely no expert in vehicle lighting or installing aftermarket goodies. But my only advice is, use relays on the higher output Light Bars, and fogs. Otherwise you will burn up your switches eventually. When I run my wires, I keep them all wrapped together in poly lume and then electrical tape sections of the lume closed so that none of the wires have a chance to stick out and rub on anything sharp causing shorts. I also went with a separate fuse box that I mounted down below my dash, that is easily accessible in case something gets torn off my vehicle during my off-road shenanigans.
I also used RV plugs with polyurethane sealant for my roof mounted lights. I didn't want wires being torn out or through my roof if they get snagged on some tree limbs. Instead they just unplug. There are other options as well, but I felt it was the safest method.
I'll take some photos of my wiring when I crack back into it. Oh!! It's also a good idea to use a drill to twist all of your wire together. Least the stuff that's all going to the same general location makes for a much cleaner install. Car alarm guys use this method alot.
basically like this.
For the fuse block, I ended up going with this.

Thanks for the wire twist idea. Nice build on a full size!
Daniel

KarrbonFiber

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Karr
Member #

Ford continued the Light Duty F-250 for awhile after 1998, just under the name F-150 7,700 Package. I had two 2002's at work. Really strong trucks. Great 5.4 V8, overkill transmission, and a super duty rear axle.

I hear ya on parts and everything, explaining to the dealership that the truck has 7-lugs is great.

Love the tuck, you have a very thought out build.

Reactions: MrLomjamesington

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Ford continued the Light Duty F-250 for awhile after 1998, just under the name F-150 7,700 Package. I had two 2002's at work. Really strong trucks. Great 5.4 V8, overkill transmission, and a super duty rear axle.

I hear ya on parts and everything, explaining to the dealership that the truck has 7-lugs is great.

Love the tuck, you have a very thought out build.
They still make the F-150HD/F-250 non-super duty the 7 lug wheels are the give away.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

They made those 7-luggers until at least the 2009-2014 body style. Don't know if they kept the option with the aluminum bodied trucks. Really interesting to see people building them up!

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Sooo.. just a few updates. It's been a minute since I've been on here, but I've done a few things to the truck since then. I finally decided to give it a lift, and some new 35" shoes. Along with changing out the gearing in the front and rear differentials of course! IMG_20180521_213817_212.jpeg20180521_192915.jpeg20180525_160824.jpeg20180514_142322.jpeg20180516_143448.jpeg

Reactions: Charles Simcock

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Truck looks awesome with the lift. Makes me wish I still had mine. What lift is it?
Thanks! Yeah! I lucked out. I ended up going with the Rough Country 5" lift. I really wanted the BDS 6" lift, but I couldn't justify spending double the price for essentially the same benefits.My next goal is to get custom Leaf springs made so I can ditch the rear blocks, and then get some different wheels with a little more backspacing. At full turn my front tires slightly graze on the lower control arm. So that should fix that problem.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Good plan. I did the same thing with leaf springs. After getting a 5" suspension lift, the nose was way up in the air. So I had a custom 5.5" leaf pack made to level it out. But you probably don't have that problem. It looks like your heavy duty front bumper has you sitting pretty level.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Nice!! Where did have your leafs fabbed up at? Did they install them as well, Or did you install them your self?
What size tires did you end up going with?
I'm definitely not a fan of using blocks. I was trying to avoid using them, but unfortunately the Skyjacker lift kit was the only one that actually came with new Leaf springs instead of blocks, but It was going to cost about $3k.
I'm on a budget, but I also like to do things right. I had already planned on ditching the blocks in place of springs from the get go. I'm just using them for the meantime until I can afford to have some made. From what I've been told, I can have springs made for my truck for around $800 for the pair, which doesn't seem to unreasonable. Just got to wait it out and save up a few bucks.
Ha! I definitely had to crank my torsion bars up a bit after installing that bumper with the winch. Totally worth it though! I've put that front bumper through some serious pain, and it's been amazing! It's even saved my bacon on a trip where I was sliding uncontrolably down a ice covered mountain road and the only way to stop was to jam the nose of my truck into the embankment on one side of the road. It was one of those shit your pants moments.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nice!! Where did have your leafs fabbed up at? Did they install them as well, Or did you install them your self?
What size tires did you end up going with?
I'm definitely not a fan of using blocks. I was trying to avoid using them, but unfortunately the Skyjacker lift kit was the only one that actually came with new Leaf springs instead of blocks, but It was going to cost about $3k.
I'm on a budget, but I also like to do things right. I had already planned on ditching the blocks in place of springs from the get go. I'm just using them for the meantime until I can afford to have some made. From what I've been told, I can have springs made for my truck for around $800 for the pair, which doesn't seem to unreasonable. Just got to wait it out and save up a few bucks.
Ha! I definitely had to crank my torsion bars up a bit after installing that bumper with the winch. Totally worth it though! I've put that front bumper through some serious pain, and it's been amazing! It's even saved my bacon on a trip where I was sliding uncontrolably down a ice covered mountain road and the only way to stop was to jam the nose of my truck into the embankment on one side of the road. It was one of those shit your pants moments.
They were from National Springs. Not sure the company is still around. But I installed them with the help of a buddy without too much hassle. $800 for a pair does seem reasonable. At the time (like 2001), I was hell-bent on fitting monster tires. So I got a 3" body lift on top of the 5" RCD suspension to fit 37" Super Swampers LOL. That got old fast as it road crumby and went through idler arms like nothing. You're doing it right IMO. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do what you're doing. 5" suspension, new leaf springs to replace the blocks and 35's.

Couple of throwback pics:
MVC-012F.JPG DSC00092.JPG

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Oh wow! That thing is a beast! Super clean too! Mine use to be that clean, but then I found the joys of "exploring". Lol!
If I could have gotten away with 37's without doing a body lift, I might have gone that route as well. But everyone that I spoke to about body lifts told me that it will completely ruin the ride and it will handle like total ass. So, I decided against that, and just stuck with the suspension lift. I always prefer function over form, but unfortunately sometimes you just can't have both. For instance, the damn torsion bar suspension. I hate that I have that junk hanging down below my rock sliders. Kinda defeats the purpose of installing a lift kit in the first place. That's where a body lift would have been nice. But awell! It is what it is! Maybe in the next couple years I'll pick up an XJ or a 4 runner. Something a little more suited for "Overlanding" or Off-roading. And much much easier to aquire off road goodies for!! Although I do enjoy having something different from everyone else. I get all warm and fuzzy when I can get my truck to places that it really has no business being at. Especially when people tell me, " oh there's no way your truck can make it up there, you need a Jeep or Yoda". But then then it makes it, as I get curious looks from all the naysayers. Lol! So far this truck has more than impressed me despite all of it's many short comings. What year is your Jeep? has it treated you well? what year is it?

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Oh wow! That thing is a beast! Super clean too! Mine use to be that clean, but then I found the joys of "exploring". Lol!
If I could have gotten away with 37's without doing a body lift, I might have gone that route as well. But everyone that I spoke to about body lifts told me that it will completely ruin the ride and it will handle like total ass. So, I decided against that, and just stuck with the suspension lift. I always prefer function over form, but unfortunately sometimes you just can't have both. For instance, the damn torsion bar suspension. I hate that I have that junk hanging down below my rock sliders. Kinda defeats the purpose of installing a lift kit in the first place. That's where a body lift would have been nice. But awell! It is what it is! Maybe in the next couple years I'll pick up an XJ or a 4 runner. Something a little more suited for "Overlanding" or Off-roading. And much much easier to aquire off road goodies for!! Although I do enjoy having something different from everyone else. I get all warm and fuzzy when I can get my truck to places that it really has no business being at. Especially when people tell me, " oh there's no way your truck can make it up there, you need a Jeep or Yoda". But then then it makes it, as I get curious looks from all the naysayers. Lol! So far this truck has more than impressed me despite all of it's many short comings. What year is your Jeep? has it treated you well? what year is it?

Keep up the good work! I enjoyed the uniqueness of that truck, as well. I also enjoy my Jeep and the fact that you don't see very many other's like mine out on the trails. Mine is a 2015 and it has served me well despite its lack of articulation.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I haven't posted any up grades of my rig lately. But here is the next project. Torsion Bar relocation adapters from Realift. I'm not looking forward to installing these, considering last time I had my truck apart for the Rough Country Lift kit installation, I was unable to remove my torsion bars from my lower control arms. That was fun, and this will be too! [emoji30] 20180919_124456.jpeg

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I haven't posted any up grades of my rig lately. But here is the next project. Torsion Bar relocation adapters from Realift. I'm not looking forward to installing these, considering last time I had my truck apart for the Rough Country Lift kit installation, I was unable to remove my torsion bars from my lower control arms. That was fun, and this will be too! [emoji30] View attachment 69312
Just an update with my Torsion bar relocation brackets. These things are amazing!! They were some work getting installed, but well worth the hassle! They completely changed the capabilities of my truck, and made The 5" lift actually function like it should! I'm so impressed with these things, I will be putting a video together with my buddy Peter, some time in the near future. These are a must have for anyone who installs a lift kit and is required to drop their torsion bar crossmember. Here is a few photos. 20180920_185948.jpeg20180920_173312.jpeg20180920_173319.jpeg20180920_190551.jpeg20180920_195435.jpeg20181021_143305.jpeg