1998 Ford F250 light duty

• HTML tutorial

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

After a quick search this is overbuilt for overlanding but its the only performance "lift" out there for you body style F-150/250
http://www.vegasdezertfab.com/product/97-03-ford-f150-4wd-long-travel-kit
Dude! That's one sick ass kit!, and one hell of a price tag for just front suspension!. Definitely over built for Overlanding, but that's not a bad thing. Its a slippery slope. You purchase a lift kit, then you need bigger tires/wheels, then you need to change out gearing. Before you know it, you have $10,000 into a truck thats only worth $6,000.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Nice! It sounds like you lucked out! I see so many lifted trucks that are so horribly put together. Most of them are as useless for anything other than driving down a dirt road. It sounds like your truck was done correctly! If you were running stock gearing, you would definitely know. Let me know when you end up finding a suitable lift for yours. Or any other sweet up grades. Us 10th gen F-series owners gotta stick together and help each other out. [emoji2] I'll do the same.

Reactions: kickkem

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dude! That's one sick ass kit!, and one hell of a price tag for just front suspension!. Definitely over built for Overlanding, but that's not a bad thing. Its a slippery slope. You purchase a lift kit, then you need bigger tires/wheels, then you need to change out gearing. Before you know it, you have $10,000 into a truck thats only worth $6,000.

Slippery slope indeed, but I noticed that most of the lifts for your body style truck are drop bracket with lift spindles which often reduce your actual ground clearance over stock for the same tire size and are more often then not inteded to achieve a look over actual performance increases.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Slippery slope indeed, but I noticed that most of the lifts for your body style truck are drop bracket with lift spindles which often reduce your actual ground clearance over stock for the same tire size and are more often then not inteded to achieve a look over actual performance increases.
Yeah. That's kind of my dilemma. That and cost for the super high end kits. [emoji19]

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Thanks man! Yeah. These trucks seem to be lacking good real estate to mount switches! I also ended up installing a switch panel for a Jeep under my heater control switches as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
I lost track of your thread for awhile. Glad I found it again. You seem pretty adept at installing lights. Any tips or helpful guides? I really want to install some when the weather warms up. I've done a lot of researching but I still don't feel terribly confident. Also, any more pictures and tips on installing you little extra switch panel? I've had that idea for a long time but never had a good starting point as to what to use for the panel itself. My Grand Cherokee doesn't have a lot of space for switches either.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrLomjamesington

overlandford

Rank 0

Traveler I

Diggin' the build, thinking about your suspension situation and quick Google search. I found this...

http://rpmfab.com/1997-2003-Ford-F150-Solid-axle-swap-KIT_p_47.html
Just a thought. If it were me though I'd see about using a swapped in set of superduty axles for 2 reasons. First you could drop that lug pattern and second you would have wheel sensors for ABS. Overkill yes but it provides many advantages over a standard lift for a truck like yours w/o having to spend 3500 on a wider race suspension then another 1k to 1.5k on followers for that kit not to mention the rear.

A set of gas ford excursion axles can be had with 4.30 gears and the excursion from is a Dana 50, being less desirable there cheaper. That being said this is still far from a kit and will cost more than the run of the mill lift kit but I think the advantages would out weigh the cost difference.

Last edited:

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First time poster here. LOVE the build! Great find on the wheels, too. They look fantastic! I had a lifted 1999 F-250LD way back when and finding 7-lug wheels was a chore for me, as well. Keep up the good work!

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Diggin' the build, thinking about your suspension situation and quick Google search. I found this...

Just a thought. If it were me though I'd see about using a swapped in set of superduty axles for 2 reasons. First you could drop that lug pattern and second you would have wheel sensors for ABS. Overkill yes but it provides many advantages over a standard lift for a truck like yours w/o having to spend 3500 on a wider race suspension then another 1k to 1.5k on followers for that kit not to mention the rear.

A set of gas ford excursion axles can be had with 4.30 gears and the excursion from is a Dana 50, being less desirable there cheaper. That being said this is still far from a kit and will cost more than the run of the mill lift kit but I think the advantages would out weigh the cost difference.
While I don't disagree that is a good option and cheaper then the Vegas Fab kit because it is leaf sprung you will be giving up more road manners then with the longer travel ifs. To keep similar road manners as the ifs with an sas truck you need to link it which requires a lot more figuring and fabrication. The rear is much cheaper and easier to figure out, just use a nice long flat spring like chevy 63's with a long shackle and you will get a nice riding flexy suspension that can easily be adjusted to carry lots of weight, as they come in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton weight ratings.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
While I don't disagree that is a good option and cheaper then the Vegas Fab kit because it is leaf sprung you will be giving up more road manners then with the longer travel ifs. To keep similar road manners as the ifs with an sas truck you need to link it which requires a lot more figuring and fabrication. The rear is much cheaper and easier to figure out, just use a nice long flat spring like chevy 63's with a long shackle and you will get a nice riding flexy suspension that can easily be adjusted to carry lots of weight, as they come in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton weight ratings.
You would have to do some fab work, which is no small thing, but you would also gain a tremendous amount of strength with a SAS front end. I'm sure something you're well aware of. It would be a worthwhile upgrade to me but I don't know what the fabrication complications would entail.

Edit: Does this link help at all? Looked promising to me

Reactions: overlandford

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

You would have to do some fab work, which is no small thing, but you would also gain a tremendous amount of strength with a SAS front end. I'm sure something you're well aware of. It would be a worthwhile upgrade to me but I don't know what the fabrication complications would entail.

Edit: Does this link help at all? Looked promising to me

Haha thats basically what I said apart from where you want to compromise with road handling both are good options. But if I was to SAS over the LT it would be 3 linked over leaf sprung, again more figuring and fabrication to get it correct over the "bolt on" leaf sprung SAS that will be difficult to get to ride correctly (an inherent issue with fully leaf sprung vehicles).

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Haha thats basically what I said apart from where you want to compromise with road handling both are good options. But if I was to SAS over the LT it would be 3 linked over leaf sprung, again more figuring and fabrication to get it correct over the "bolt on" leaf sprung SAS that will be difficult to get to ride correctly (an inherent issue with fully leaf sprung vehicles).
Oops! I'm sorry I thought I was quoting OP on that post. My bad. Have you done anything like this before on a rig? I haven't myself but I like "helping" with my crappy opinion hahaha.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I lost track of your thread for awhile. Glad I found it again. You seem pretty adept at installing lights. Any tips or helpful guides? I really want to install some when the weather warms up. I've done a lot of researching but I still don't feel terribly confident. Also, any more pictures and tips on installing you little extra switch panel? I've had that idea for a long time but never had a good starting point as to what to use for the panel itself. My Grand Cherokee doesn't have a lot of space for switches either.

I hear ya! In fact I'm gonna need to rip into my wiring again here real soon. I have a few other light Ideas that I'm gonna play around with, and I also need to install my new remote start/alarm system. So, I'll be rerouting and cleaning up some of my previously installed wiring and making some improvements while I'm all up in there. I'm definitely no expert in vehicle lighting or installing aftermarket goodies. But my only advice is, use relays on the higher output Light Bars, and fogs. Otherwise you will burn up your switches eventually. When I run my wires, I keep them all wrapped together in poly lume and then electrical tape sections of the lume closed so that none of the wires have a chance to stick out and rub on anything sharp causing shorts. I also went with a separate fuse box that I mounted down below my dash, that is easily accessible in case something gets torn off my vehicle during my off-road shenanigans.
I also used RV plugs with polyurethane sealant for my roof mounted lights. I didn't want wires being torn out or through my roof if they get snagged on some tree limbs. Instead they just unplug. There are other options as well, but I felt it was the safest method.
I'll take some photos of my wiring when I crack back into it. Oh!! It's also a good idea to use a drill to twist all of your wire together. Least the stuff that's all going to the same general location makes for a much cleaner install. Car alarm guys use this method alot.
basically like this.
For the fuse block, I ended up going with this.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I hear ya! In fact I'm gonna need to rip into my wiring again here real soon. I have a few other light Ideas that I'm gonna play around with, and I also need to install my new remote start/alarm system. So, I'll be rerouting and cleaning up some of my previously installed wiring and making some improvements while I'm all up in there. I'm definitely no expert in vehicle lighting or installing aftermarket goodies. But my only advice is, use relays on the higher output Light Bars, and fogs. Otherwise you will burn up your switches eventually. When I run my wires, I keep them all wrapped together in poly lume and then electrical tape sections of the lume closed so that none of the wires have a chance to stick out and rub on anything sharp causing shorts. I also went with a separate fuse box that I mounted down below my dash, that is easily accessible in case something gets torn off my vehicle during my off-road shenanigans.
I also used RV plugs with polyurethane sealant for my roof mounted lights. I didn't want wires being torn out or through my roof if they get snagged on some tree limbs. Instead they just unplug. There are other options as well, but I felt it was the safest method.
I'll take some photos of my wiring when I crack back into it. Oh!! It's also a good idea to use a drill to twist all of your wire together. Least the stuff that's all going to the same general location makes for a much cleaner install. Car alarm guys use this method alot.
basically like this.
For the fuse block, I ended up going with this.

Thank you for the tips! So, you power the extra fuse box and then run the relays off the fuse box? Can you use a fuse box like that to run a winch and wire in aux power ports? Could you run a CB off of it as well? I have big plans haha.