1998 Ford F250 light duty

• HTML tutorial

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

I figured I would post some of the progress with my Overland Bound rig that I have been slowly building for the past year. Much has changed from the beginning. This is her right after she was purchased. I'm the 2nd ower and she was very very clean.
This was the first camping trip out with her, and by the last day I had taken her through some over grown road/trail and snapped my mirror off and scratched her all to hell. And that's when I knew that this wasn't going to be some show room pavement pounder, and that I needed to step up my game without breaking the bank. First things first, I had to have my tunes! So I installed all never AlpineR 5x7's front and rear, ditched the stock head unit in place for a middle of the road Pioneer with DVD and Bluetooth. I wanted a unit that I could link a backup camera to, which I also installed, a custom made sub box that I found online with a Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub, and I have it all powered off of a 5 channel MB Quart amp. The hard part was making the amp and Sub fit in my truck. But, I eventually figured it's out.
The next thing was tires. The tires that came on it were these tiny LT245/75R16. I stepped it up to some slightly larger 265's Nokian snow tires on my stock wheels at first.
But I hated the stock wheels and wanted something a little bigger. So after searching up high and low for some wheels, that "might" look alright on my truck, I finally found some ION 179's for about $130 a wheel on Amazon. You see, being that my truck is an F250 "light duty" Ford basically just beefed up a F150 , made it a 3/4 ton, and gave it 7 lug wheels, which is the only vehicle in the universe that utilizes 7 lugs far as I know. So I couldn't just mosey on down to the local tire and wheel shop and try out different styles and sizes, which made finding wheels much more difficult. Anyway, after alot of research I decided to go with the BFG KO2's and went up to a LT285/70R17, which definitely gave the truck a much more agressive look, although I did lose a little mpgs, and was a little slower to accelerate off the line.
I then blacked out the silver rocker panels and fender flares with Plasti dip, just to experiment. And added some mud guards.
After doing some some night time off-roading in the snow, I found out that I definetly needed some better lighting and a place to mount a small light bar on.
I swapped out the OEM headlight, fog light, and turn signal Assymblies for some inexpensive eBay ones, and added some LED bulbs, then installed some KC spot lights behind the grill. I added a bull bar, and in stalled a 20" light bar on that as well. All of this made a huge improvement!
Finding places for the switches was tricky but I eventually worked that out.
I also needed to figure something out for power sockets in the truck bed. We are constantly going to lakes and rivers where we need to blow up tubes, boats and other water toys, and it was difficult using the power sockets that were in the truck. So I mounted this in the bed. I
Then I installed some rock lights so I could see where I was putting my tires on some of the more non road like journey's that we were doing at night. Eventually I tore a couple of my mud guards off, and kept getting hung up on my running boards, so those had to go. And then after a exhausting night trying to get unstuck in a place we call "the pit of dispare" It was time to step up my recovery game. I really wanted a winch, but I needed a solid spot to mount it on. So I ended up purchasing and installing a new Iron Cross winch bumper, and slapped a cheap 12,000LB harbor Frieght bad lands winch on it.
Well worth the price!! Next was roof storage. I really wanted a roof rack with a basket that I could store stuff like my Highlift Jack, chain saw, gas can, and other things that I want to have easy access to if I am out off-roading and have a truck bed full of camping gear. I finally decided to go with the 40404 Smittybilt Defender Rack for the cab of my truck. I would have liked to mount a larger one on my camper shell, but the shape of my shell makes it difficult without some major customizing. Mounting the universal brackets to my roof was probably the most tricky. The hardware that they include was easy to install but was also utter crap! They give you these rubber well nuts, that expand when you tighten the ancor bolts for the mounts.These are all great and all for light duty applications, they tore out every time I left the pavement. So after replacing these over and over again, just to have them tear out and have my rack flopping around, I decided to mount it correctly using nuts, bolts, fender washers, and lock washers, along with some polyurethane to keep anything from leaking. It's now as solid as a rock and I love it! This the rack mounted on my truck with a few other additional items bolted to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
Unfortunately I could only post 20 photos and I didn't know that until I had already gone through all of the work typing this up and finding photos.

Last edited:

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Here's a front end shot from weekends ago while I had just locked down my camp site.
Next I'm going to be installing a pair of thin 7" LED side lights on my roof rack.
The ones mounted to the side of my camper shell work great, but are mounted to far back to give me good side lighting from the driver seat. The new lights will be identical to those in the rear though. Im just waiting for them to arrive.
Here's a shot of my rear LED's as well.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Thanks Conner! It's mostly all from experimentation. Not many companies make off-road goodies for these body style pickup trucks beside lift kits and bumpers. And the bumpers are only sub par in comparison to what is offered for lots of the newer trucks. I would have preferred an ARB bumper, but they don't make it, so I'm stuck with Iron Cross, or Ranch hand. There also not much out there online to scavenge up good ideas from. If I wanna see what my truck would look like with certain accessories like a Smittybilt Defender Rack or even the Iron Cross front bumper that I have, theres no images available anywhere!! I just have to stare at the part long enough on my computer screen and then stare at my truck, until I can obtain some sort of mental image of what I "think" it will look like, and how properly it will funtion. Then its just a matter of handing over thousands of my hard earned dollars to some online store, and waiting for the parts to arrive, and hoping that it's all going to work out, and you didn't just flush it all down the drain on some junk that you can't use, or don't want to use. Its definitely not like customizing a Jeep, or a Yoda.

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Thanks Conner! It's mostly all from experimentation. Not many companies make off-road goodies for these body style pickup trucks beside lift kits and bumpers. And the bumpers are only sub par in comparison to what is offered for lots of the newer trucks. I would have preferred an ARB bumper, but they don't make it, so I'm stuck with Iron Cross, or Ranch hand. There also not much out there online to scavenge up good ideas from. If I wanna see what my truck would look like with certain accessories like a Smittybilt Defender Rack or even the Iron Cross front bumper that I have, theres no images available anywhere!! I just have to stare at the part long enough on my computer screen and then stare at my truck, until I can obtain some sort of mental image of what I "think" it will look like, and how properly it will funtion. Then its just a matter of handing over thousands of my hard earned dollars to some online store, and waiting for the parts to arrive, and hoping that it's all going to work out, and you didn't just flush it all down the drain on some junk that you can't use, or don't want to use. Its definitely not like customizing a Jeep, or a Yoda.

Reactions: maxfederle89
This is awesome! I have same year but a f150 and its 4x4 too. this is really helpful and ive been noticing too there is not a huge market for this style truck either. i have a shell thats smaller than yours and i want a rooftop tent above that so im considering fabing a roll cage around my shell and anchoring it to the 4 points in the bed under the shell and a roof rack like yours over the cab. A lot of custom work but i feel it makes me love my truck even more!

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Nice Briana!! You'll have to post some photos of your truck when you get a chance. It's definitely helpful to see how other people set up their rigs. I didn't have much help from the online department. I couldn't even find a photo of our body style truck with this Iron cross bumper. I basically just had to order it and hope for the best. That rack over canopy thing is something that I too have been trying to come up with a solution for, but mine having the hightened portion makes it more difficult to work with. They do make over cap racks though. Most of them look stupid unfortunately. [emoji6] I wanted something that wouldn't stick out from the side of the truck so much. Fabbing something up might be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Nice Briana!! You'll have to post some photos of your truck when you get a chance. It's definitely helpful to see how other people set up their rigs. I didn't have much help from the online department. I couldn't even find a photo of our body style truck with this Iron cross bumper. I basically just had to order it and hope for the best. That rack over canopy thing is something that I too have been trying to come up with a solution for, but mine having the hightened portion makes it more difficult to work with. They do make over cap racks though. Most of them look stupid unfortunately. [emoji6] I wanted something that wouldn't stick out from the side of the truck so much. Fabbing something up might be your best bet.

20180108_163028.jpg

Heres a shot! Gotta love big trucks! Suspension is what im looking into right now. Hopefully you can see what im invisioning now that theres a picture

MrLomjamesington

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kent Wa USA
Member #

Probaby Good. I haven't heard anything good about body lifts. 35's are what I would like to eventually get for mine. But I obviously need some sort of a lift, and gearing upgrade before I can even attempt that. What brand lift kit do you have on yours? All the kits that I have looked at online look like such hit or miss on components to me, If I remember correctly, I like the sky Jacker lift because they actually swap out the leaf springs, instead of just using blocks. But the front hardware looks like rubbish. And the Rough Country ones use enlongated hubs and other brackets to lift the front, which I like, but then they use blocks in the rear. Cant win. It would be nice to have have a combination of the 2 kits. There was a few other options that I forget. It's been a few months since a looked at them. Do you know what your gearing your diffs have? Mine is stock gearing 3.73, which isnt quite adaquate for my tire size. Definitely feeling the loss of gas mileage and power. I can tell that it's a bit hard on my transmission for sure. I can only imagine what 35's feel like with that gearing. I'm hoping to change mine to 4.10's in the near future.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

35in all terrains, its a suspension lift, im thinking if i really have to putting a whole new lift, but im baller on a budget
Probaby Good. I haven't heard anything good about body lifts. 35's are what I would like to eventually get for mine. But I obviously need some sort of a lift, and gearing upgrade before I can even attempt that. What brand lift kit do you have on yours? All the kits that I have looked at online look like such hit or miss on components to me, If I remember correctly, I like the sky Jacker lift because they actually swap out the leaf springs, instead of just using blocks. But the front hardware looks like rubbish. And the Rough Country ones use enlongated hubs and other brackets to lift the front, which I like, but then they use blocks in the rear. Cant win. It would be nice to have have a combination of the 2 kits. There was a few other options that I forget. It's been a few months since a looked at them. Do you know what your gearing your diffs have? Mine is stock gearing 3.73, which isnt quite adaquate for my tire size. Definitely feeling the loss of gas mileage and power. I can tell that it's a bit hard on my transmission for sure. I can only imagine what 35's feel like with that gearing. I'm hoping to change mine to 4.10's in the near future.

After a quick search this is overbuilt for overlanding but its the only performance "lift" out there for you body style F-150/250
http://www.vegasdezertfab.com/product/97-03-ford-f150-4wd-long-travel-kit

Reactions: MrLomjamesington

What im noticing with the lift kits that im finding that its not all that i want either! so what im thinking that i have to do is just mix and match and see what works for me. Right now im in need of front and rear shocks, leaf springs and all the little bells n whitsles. As for my gearing i couldnt tell you the exact but you can feel that it was geared in for the lift as well as tires. The guy to own is before is a mechanic so those tires get some power! haha yeah another down side is the gas but thats more for the city and right now since i use my truck everyday gas sucks! but once shes out on open road seems like i save gas but its seeming to me that we have a lot of shopping to do