Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I lifted a buddy's ZJ a few years back and he was on like 30-31" tires. We stuck a simple spacer lift in and new shocks. I think it was a 2-2.5" lift but not sure on the brand. It really didn't affect the handling at all and the added clearance for the bigger tires made a world of difference. I opted to get the OME HD lift for my WJ which yielded about 2-2.5" and I have 31" AT3W's on it now. Just thought I'd share the two routes that might be viable for more clearance for the tires and better articulation. Stock form still isn't bad, but the worn out components, springs especially, might limit where the ZJ can go. As for the HAM setup, I currently run a Baofeng UV-5R+ for emergencies. Once I get my license (here in a few weeks I hope) I will look at a better mobile setup. I know there are better handhelds out there, but this came highly recommended and it was cheap. You might be able to find a good handheld option and rig up an external antenna.

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
I lifted a buddy's ZJ a few years back and he was on like 30-31" tires. We stuck a simple spacer lift in and new shocks. I think it was a 2-2.5" lift but not sure on the brand. It really didn't affect the handling at all and the added clearance for the bigger tires made a world of difference. I opted to get the OME HD lift for my WJ which yielded about 2-2.5" and I have 31" AT3W's on it now. Just thought I'd share the two routes that might be viable for more clearance for the tires and better articulation. Stock form still isn't bad, but the worn out components, springs especially, might limit where the ZJ can go. As for the HAM setup, I currently run a Baofeng UV-5R+ for emergencies. Once I get my license (here in a few weeks I hope) I will look at a better mobile setup. I know there are better handhelds out there, but this came highly recommended and it was cheap. You might be able to find a good handheld option and rig up an external antenna.
I actually just got a UV5R and am gonna get my license in a few weeks as well lol I think I’m going to do shocks and springs and that will give it a little bit more clearance over the 23year old springs lol

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Long time no update! Part 4????

With everything that has been going on, Overlanding unfortunately got pushed back in priority for me for a bit, but I do have some updates on my ZJ that are somewhat notable!

So around April I realized I had a starting issue on the Jeep, it would start fine most of the time, but if I leave it sit for more than a few hours it would just crank forever then fire up! I tested the battery and the alternator (I did realize i need to replace the alternator relatively soon, and especially before I do my dual batteries) but the main culprit was a hole in the fuel line between the filter and the pump. So I bought a new fuel filter and line with hopes that would fix the problem, I got a bit lazy with the installation thinking i could fit my hand on top of the gas tank to un-clip the hose without having to remove the whole tanks and..... i broke the top of the fuel pump. After waiting a week to get an aftermarket fuel pump in, I went to install it. dropped the tank and began removing the hoses that for to the fuel filler neck and..... the fuel filler neck broke off in the hose from it being so rusty. Just my luck LOL. Working at a Jeep dealership I figure that it wouldn't be so hard to get, but there are none left at any dealers in the country. SO i went to eBay and bought one, it took like 8 days longer than estimated to get here, but ultimately I did get it all put back together and she is running great again!

After the fuel system fiasco I tried not to do much for a bit, I do have a transmission output seal leak it if sits on an incline for too long, I have the seals to fix it, I just haven't had the motivation to drop my transfer case and replace the seals. I just make sure its topped off when I take it out.

In other repairs, I tried charging my AC system to find out my compressor is broken, so that will probably be a priority before to long, luckily it is starting to cool off a bit and I can just ride with the windows down!

I finally got to take it on my first "mini" overlanding trip, we drove about 3 hours north to my family's place in Indiana and took it on some fun private land jeep trails with my brother-in-laws TJ. We camped out by a river in the area and then came home the next day! It wasn't anything grand or too adventurous, but it was a good trial run of whats to come!

I do have some things that top the priority list on the build now
  • Clunking in the front when going over big bumps/braking hard (I think it is most likely control arms/bushing)
  • Still Needs shocks all the way around
  • AC Compressor need replace
  • Radio speakers still need replaced, sounds pretty bad
Also, for what its worth I am more active on Instagram, @ midwesternoverland there.