1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ

• HTML tutorial

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
After months of research and slowly getting my wife on board, we decided we wanted to get into overlanding! Since we are both pretty young and early in our careers we didnt have a lot of money to spend buying a brand new 4Runner or Tacoma like I wanted... But nevertheless I set out to look for a cheap... reliable.. 4x4 that doesn't have a ton of rust and has enough room to for us to travel comfortably!

Originally I had settled on a 1996 Toyota T100, but it had some pretty serious problems (after pulling the heads and finding a cracked block) I decided to scrap that idea.. not literally, but I sold the T100 for $1000 my wife wasn't too happy so I knew I needed to buy something that is very.. very reliable now or I'd lose her trust and possibly my overland goals. So I went to marketplace and after searching about 2 weeks I found this guy!

IMG_2544.jpg

A 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo! It is the 4.0L I6 with the 42RE transmission and 242 Transfer case, practically the MOST reliable version of this old Jeep. The guy had said that he owned for the last 16 years and that it was just pulled behind an RV for almost all of the time that he had it. It was about an hour drive from my place so on Jan. 1 2020 we decided to look at it. My wife took some convincing since she thought I should buy a pickup truck since it would be more practical for other stuff I reassured her that this is a vehicle I know to be reliable and easy to fix (after all I am a tech at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealership lol).

Here are a couple more images from the Facebook post.
IMG_2545.jpgIMG_2546.jpg

After seeing it in person and driving it around for a bit we made a deal, he had listed it for $1300 originally, but after negotiating I got it for $1000. We departed on the hour drive home, where I learned a few interesting quirks about the jeep!

First, it shifted weird into 1st gear... It would almost delay after I was stopped and put my foot on the gas
Second, the radio and the overhead lights don't work at all.. sometimes the radio will come on, but the lights never work
Third, the tires were in pretty bad shape

But outside of that it drove great on the highway and I got it home with know problems!!

59960776646__3AD4CC28-438D-46C8-B343-FFC7EF791BEA.JPG59960777683__0974EB12-57D5-42CD-80ED-2D376CD43DD5.JPG59960778662__59F33C61-1696-4334-AB4B-0B66D3DF7BA1.JPG

Working at a Jeep dealership I drove it to work the next day and decided to change and check all the fluids and also get it up on the lift so I could really check the underneath!

The transmission was pretty low on fluid (as was almost everything else) so I added ATF+4 and it fixed my weird shifting problem! The transfer case was also low, so I drained and refilled it! I also bought gear oil from our parts department and some RTV and drained, inspected and refilled/resealed both differentials, which were also low on fluid on arrival!

I decided on Valvoline 10w-30 Synthetic Blend High Mileage because it's pretty good oil for the money, and even with my discount at work the Pennzoil our dealership carries in bulk was still more expensive (and also we only stock 5w30... not that it would make a huge difference)

After the oil and fluid changed I put on a set of RainX wiper blades and ordered some new tires!
IMG_2291.jpg

I ordered Falken Wildpeak AT3W's!! I only went up slightly from the stock size because I have no plans to lift it currently and these are comfortable and relatively quiet! These are 29x9.5 (235/75r15)

The perk of being a mechanic at the dealership means I can install them myself... for free! I also ordered StanceMagic 20pc Chrome Lug nuts off amazon

IMG_2359_(1).jpg

The look pretty good on the Jeep! and the drive just as good as everyone says!

1A3A220D-A9DE-4762-8C3C-8915CFA9F0ED (2).jpg

I also took off the ugly front hitch for the RV hookup when I was doing that, and put a Mopar battery in it since the old was wasn't doing so great!

This weekend we took it up to my sisters place about 2 and 1/2 hours away, to make sure everything drove well and it was perfect! we averaged about 17mpg for the 330 mi trip! After the trip the mileage was a 285,129!

IMG_2536.jpg

So that is where I am at with the build so far! I have a whole laundry list of items I need to do, plus some stuff that I want in the near future that is more overlanding focused!

I will try to update every time I work on it or do anything major! I am still trying to fix my weird wiring problem so I can get a working radio and interior lights, but right now she is running and driving great!

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Another Grand, right on! Like you said, that's a very reliable combo and you obviously have the knowledge, skills and access to parts to make it dead-nuts! Mine is probably on the other end of the reliability spectrum for Grands (4.7 HO in an Overland with all the fancy climate control and stuff) but I'm doing the things I can to make it reliable and get another 100k+ out of it: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Build If you have any advice or thoughts on other things I should look into please feel free to comment in my thread. FWIW we've owned it about 4 years so I've addressed things like the heater blower motor resistor, the wiring to the driver's door, exhaust manifold leaks & broken studs, etc.

Anyway, looking forward to your build!

-TJ

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Another Grand, right on! Like you said, that's a very reliable combo and you obviously have the knowledge, skills and access to parts to make it dead-nuts! Mine is probably on the other end of the reliability spectrum for Grands (4.7 HO in an Overland with all the fancy climate control and stuff) but I'm doing the things I can to make it reliable and get another 100k+ out of it: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Build If you have any advice or thoughts on other things I should look into please feel free to comment in my thread. FWIW we've owned it about 4 years so I've addressed things like the heater blower motor resistor, the wiring to the driver's door, exhaust manifold leaks & broken studs, etc.

Anyway, looking forward to your build!

-TJ
Heater blower motor can be quite the job! I just did the blower motor and heater core for my step-dads grand (98) and he was shocked when I told I was going to take the ENTIRE dash of his car lol! Hope yours keeps running for years to come!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Heater blower motor can be quite the job! I just did the blower motor and heater core for my step-dads grand (98) and he was shocked when I told I was going to take the ENTIRE dash of his car lol! Hope yours keeps running for years to come!
I haven't actually done the blower motor itself, or the heater core. Just the resistor for the blower motor which is usually the actual problem. I am NOT looking forward to doing the blower motor and heater core "someday."

-TJ

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Part 2!

Back again, didn't really know how to format this thread, whether I wanted to edit my original post or add to it, so I think I'll do it this way instead.

I have had the ZJ for about 3 weeks now and I still love this thing, I have driven it up north to my moms house (about 2 hour drive) the last few weekend and it does great out on the highway, this time I took the "long way" to my parents and got it into some mud!

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

Also I have done some upgrades and bought some stuff.

Since I work at a Jeep dealership, I checked for recalls and there was the N45 Safety Recall (a free trailer hitch) so I had it ordered and got it in a few days ago, finally had time at my shop to do it, so really I got paid to put a trailer hitch on my Jeep! I figured for free I might as well do it and since I don't plan on towing anything really I didn't even wire it up for trailer lights. The only use for my hitch will be for pulling people out with a recovery strap! (and maybe a bike carrier if we decide to get into that this spring)

IMG_2602.jpg

It was super easy, the studs were already in, so just 4 nuts and 2 bolts!

Lastly, I bought a bunch of stuff recently for IN the Jeep so it isn't very interesting but Ill put a list anyways for future reference.
I bought; 3x30 recovery strap with 2x 3/4 shackles, 20ft jumper cables and refilled my washer fluid tank with De-Icer RainX fluid. So I am ready to help people this year if we every do get any snow... sigh...

I also bought this! 2 Backroads 1080Lumen flood lights for the front of my Jeep, I don't know how to mount them yet, so if anyone has any ideas let me know!

IMG_2603.jpg

Reactions: DevilDodge

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Part 2.5!

I didn't really feel like this is enough to make it a completely new part, since I mentioned it in my last post... but we are now lighted!

IMG_2604.jpg

Like I mentioned before I went with 2 6in Flood lights. Went back to the store the next day to get the 2 light wiring harness but they were sold out :( so I bought the one light harness rated for 200W.. we are only pulling MAYBE 6W total, so it should be more than adequate. I ended up just cutting the harness around the spot the first light would sit and soldered in the extra connector in a series system. I ended up just using self tappers with a washer to put them on and there is no play in the lights so it was good enough for me! We ran a switch inside near factory cigarette lighter and zip tied it down in the engine bay, so it was pretty simple overall and only took us about 1.5 hours total.

Here is the difference between the before and after:
IMG_2609.jpgIMG_2610.jpg

It is hard to tell actually how bright these things are from the picture but they are perfect for what I needed!

Lastly is a list of modifications and repairs I plan on doing currently.

• Rola Roof basket with the 21in extension
  • Upgraded shocks (thinking KYB Gas-a-just atm unless anyone has a better suggestion for a sub $50 shock)
  • Ball joint, tie rod ends and control arm bushings need done
  • Bigger light bar (thinking a 39in?) to go on the basket
  • Rear storage area platform with drawers to keep things organized
  • 1.5in lift
  • GET MY RADIO AND LIGHTS WORKING (this is still a somewhat priority but its been hard tracking down the problem)
  • Winch Plate and winch... not a huge priority but we will see if it works with my current light mounting spots

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Congrats on the Jeep acquisition. One slight correction on your drivetrane, that's a 42re transmission.

I am running 2" spacer lift with Bilstein shocks and it rides great, get in contact with Kolak on FB or Jeepforum for your parts needs. I will be pulling the spacers off my rig this spring, in favor of OME coils and a 1" spacer.. giving me about 3-3.5" total lift. I'm only doing this because i'll be running to CO/UT next fall and will need a bit more height for a few routes i plan on seeing, otherwise i'd leave it as is.

Best of luck with your project, look fwd to your updates.

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Congrats on the Jeep acquisition. One slight correction on your drivetrane, that's a 42re transmission.

I am running 2" spacer lift with Bilstein shocks and it rides great, get in contact with Kolak on FB or Jeepforum for your parts needs. I will be pulling the spacers off my rig this spring, in favor of OME coils and a 1" spacer.. giving me about 3-3.5" total lift. I'm only doing this because i'll be running to CO/UT next fall and will need a bit more height for a few routes i plan on seeing, otherwise i'd leave it as is.

Ahh, yeah I mistyped that, it is the 42re. I will look up Kolak I don't plan on going West with my rig quite yet so I'll run stock - 1.5in lift for as long as I can, but if we start going further then I might go taller!

Reactions: OverlandZJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

3.5" of total lift gets to be about where you really want to consider long-arming the front to maintain that ride and proper suspension geometry.

-TJ

Reactions: OverlandZJ

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
3.5" of total lift gets to be about where you really want to consider long-arming the front to maintain that ride and proper suspension geometry.

-TJ
Yeah, i'm hoping to get a bit more clearance for the 31's, i'd be happier closer to 3".. but your right to bring up the geometry concerns. I built my first ZJ with 4.5" RE coils and Clayton's longarms.. i found it was more than i wanted in a Jeep these days.. so i sold and started a build more to my needs.

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Part.... 2.75?

Still isn't a big enough change for part 3, but I bought a Hi-Lift Jack today when I was out, since getting the Jeep out in the mud a lot lately I figured I needed a way to get myself out of trouble if the need were to arise!

I thought about a lot of options like the Menards Torin Farm Jack, as well as the Smittybuilt one but in the end they all get compared to one, the Hi-lift. I got the 48in classic red and to my surprise Rural King had them cheaper than I could find online! only $79 there, vs $85 on Amazon. Plus... I didn't want to wait for shipping. The Torin jack was a little cheaper but a few bad review scared me away from it and in the end a Hi-Lift is a lifelong investment and I would rather spend the extra money now and hopefully never regret my decision! I will put it up in my roof basket when I finally purchase it (hopefully next month) but for now it will ride along in the cab!

IMG_2624.jpg
In case you guys wonder the milk crate has: 1qt 10W-30 oil, 1 Gallon of pure coolant (unmixed), Nitrile gloves, a small bottle of DOT3, 1qt ATF+4, RainX De-Icer a tarp, jumper cables and a funnel. The bag in front has my ratchet straps and extra socks and rags.

What do you guys think are some must have accessories to go with my new purchase?

Member III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hewitt
Part 3!!

After some time spent after work I finally fixed my electrical problems!! I finally have working interior lights as well as a working radio!
A11A7010-3D02-48C3-9E9A-7786AEB7ED0D.jpegFD6FCECE-07EF-48F4-8485-BC1D16F661F0.jpeg

Not the greatest picture but it ended up being a blown fuse for the lights... I had checked for that originally but I think I was checking the wrong fuse.. the radio ended up being a bad connector on my aftermarket wiring harness, so I fixed that by changing it out for a different connector.

Now that all of my electrical problems are dealt with I can focus on more Overlanding-specific upgrades, such as beefier suspension and my roof rack!

Next on the list is the roof rack, mobile HAM setup, and suspension stuff. If anyone has any good recommendations for a car HAM set up around $200 let me know!