Rank II

Contributor III

Del Rio, Texas
First Name
Carson
Last Name
Wood
Member #

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone out there was using a 1994 l400 Delica? I just bought one and am looking for some information on lifts and other various modifications!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
very cool. Is it right or left hand drive? I’ve only seen photos of them posted by teardrop owners in England.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I used to have one in Australia. I lifted it approx 2". Like most independent front suspensions you can't go too high without stressing out the CV joints. basically just springs and dampers.
Snorkels are a popular accessory here, the series 2 (96 onwards) one fits but overlaps the RHS indicator and you don't use one of the bolts. Requires a different template to the later model.

Being a series 1, the fuel pumps don't like sitting around, as it would have been, so keep an eye on that. Being purely mechanical it may be better in the long run once reconditioned.

How do you go getting insurance for your Delica? Because I am familiar with them and not too expensive I was considering one as a US-based vehicle.

Risky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gladstone Central QLD, Australia
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Hess
Member #

I have a 1994 LWB, some of the best mods done was the dash pod, putting in gauges that work, also removing the plastic heater hose tees and putting in aluminium ones.
I opted for airbags in the rear keeping the standard 29" tyres for fuel economy.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Dont own one but one of the best places to buy parts for JDM or world market vehicles is PartSouq.

There in Dubai. I actually get OEM parts faster from them than I do in the states and their prices are very good.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Very cool, but tread carefully.
There are states (Maine and I believe California, there is talk in Washington as well) that will not issue registration for those and other Kei trucks/vans. As they do not meet federal motor vehicle standards for the year of their manufacture they are technically not road legal in the US. Also due to this I could see insurance being hard to find, or to get to cover anything should you have any issues (if you have an accident a lawyer will easilly be able to fight to not cover your claims as your vehicle was not fit for road use). The reason why they are getting imported is most states have laws that loosen the enforcement of such laws after 25 years, but any vehicle on the roads in the US must have met federal safety and emissions standards for the year of thier manufacture to be legal for road use.
Not trying to be a huge downer, just relaying the info I read when I was looking into a Kei truck for a delivery vehicle for my employer.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As @Dilldog posted, Federal motor standards are fairly strict, the state can decide whether or not to ignore them. This is why you can drive something in one state without issue but have your vehicle impounded in the next. Again, just because you see them doesn't mean its legal.

In California, regardless of "25 year import law" , any vehicle made after "1976", you must meet emission standards. In CA we just don't test before 76. By federal standards, any vehicle that came with an emission device, regardless of year, cannot have the device removed and regardless of year (or country of origin), the vehicle must meet those standards. If the motor was never made for America, it wont smog.
I have been hearing some things about Colorado recently. I'm beginning to believe, they just reset the bar on vehicle emission requirements. Things we allow here in CA wont pass there.

The other issue is most states have a law against right hand drive vehicles. It doesn't matter if you see right hand drive vehicles on the street, it's based on, "If the officer decides" to enforce it. The import law just allows you to bring it in. Its up to you to know what your state laws are.

You are also not allowed to modify suspension, or drive line outside of what the factory equipped it with. When the vehicle was produced, it was certified safe for America by the manufacture, with these items. This includes changing tires and rims outside what was offered by the manufacture. Also except for a few specialty vehicles, no right hand drive vehicles were ever made for America.
Allowing the states to make their own version of the laws now create grey areas and confusion.
A good lawyer can make your life miserable.

Realistically, every vehicle I have owned violates most federal and state laws for chassis. In my entire life I was only cited for my mods once. For this reason, my mods are always subtle. In my local mountains, anything "Jeep" with a lift is cited if they are caught. They really enforce the height and tire laws there.

Reactions: Dilldog