1991 Land Cruiser - 295k miles - worth buying?

• HTML tutorial

Beachbum24

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Petaluma, Ca
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Greer
Member #

Hello OB,

I recently found a 1991 Land Crusier with 295,000 miles down the street from my house. What I know so far; it was hit from behind and has little damage on the rear bumper but the front end hit something and put a nice "V" in the bumper. It also does not pass smog. The paint is peeling and the interior is not the best either. The overall truck will need some work for sure.

My questions;
Is this something that would be worth it. I know the 91 and 92 are not the most powerful motors.
What would be good price to pay for it?
My other thought is to fix it up. Get to pass smog, clean up the interior, get some metal / overland front and rear bumpers on it. Then try to sell it.
I would prefer to have the LX 470 as a overland / camping rig. I am looking at the 91 as a stepping stone to get to my end goal.

Thoughts?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'd say if you have the skills to get it to pass smog and do some minor restoration, to me, it would be a good way to learn more about the rig. Sort of like a testing ground until you find the Cruiser you really want.

Beachbum24

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Petaluma, Ca
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Greer
Member #

I do have some mechanic and fab skills. I am hoping to get the truck for around $1,200 and then I think it would be worth the time and effort it will take it to get it running correctly.

Reactions: 64Trvlr