1986 Suburban

• HTML tutorial

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sioux Falls, SD 57105, USA
Member #

IMG_2150.JPG I bought a 4x4 1986 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Suburban about five years. The guy I bought it from was told it was not going to pass smog because the carburetor was not stock. It sat for three years prior to me buying it. A little research goes a long way. I found out the carb on it was sold as a direct factory replacement and showed this information to the smog shop. After sitting for three years all it needed was a new gas cap and it passed smog with flying colors. Aside from maintainace items I have only added fun stuff like the roof rack, push bumper, light bar with LED lights, snorkel and an ARB awning. The family and I have taken her to the snow and the pictures attached are from a recent trip I took to the Mohave Road. She did great. She's been on the Pismo Beach dunes as well. Wanting to do a mountain trip in the near future.

Things I'd like to do in the future:

4-6" lift kit
4 speed transmission

IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2280.JPG

Attachments

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Welcome to the big dog club! Keep us posted on your build it looks like a tank! Sounds like you made out on that deal!

Just came back from a trip were our group had 4 GMT800 Suburbans! Ok we let a few Toyota Tacoma, 4runner, FJ and a Rubicon join us as well...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

That's a great start to an off road rig. I'd recommend concentrating on reliability, heavy vehicles are hard on parts. From the pictures it looks like you have a 9.5", non floating rear axle. I'd upgrade to a 10.5" full floating rear axle. The 10.5 will support more weight, and if you break a shaft you can still drive home. The after market support for the 10.5 is definitely better. With some research the swap will be a bolt in. I'll answer any questions to help, Ron.

Kumayama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ridgemark, CA, USA
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Mangiameli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6OMM
I have a 2500 4WD Suburban I bought new in 1990. I've covered more off road miles in it--from Baja to Alaska -- than all my other 4x4s combined. Though a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock is now my primary 4x4, and I truly love it, I often find myself wishing I'd brought the Suburban instead. Most folks greatly underestimate the off road capabilities of the 2500 (3/4 ton) 4x4. Yes you can't maneuver the tightest switch backs ( say Black Bear Pass in CO) or the narrowest slot canyons, but for a place like Death Valley or nearly all of Baja there is very little my JK can do that the Suburban can't,
It's nice to see that others are enjoying these amazingly capable vehicles as much as I still do.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I have a 2500 4WD Suburban I bought new in 1990. I've covered more off road miles in it--from Baja to Alaska -- than all my other 4x4s combined. Though a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock is now my primary 4x4, and I truly love it, I often find myself wishing I'd brought the Suburban instead. Most folks greatly underestimate the off road capabilities of the 2500 (3/4 ton) 4x4. Yes you can't maneuver the tightest switch backs ( say Black Bear Pass in CO) or the narrowest slot canyons, but for a place like Death Valley or nearly all of Baja there is very little my JK can do that the Suburban can't,
It's nice to see that others are enjoying these amazingly capable vehicles as much as I still do.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Yeah I enjoy her a lot.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Nice burb! It's cool to see all the love here! I'm in an old burb too, and it goes just about everywhere my jeep buddies can go... and frankly the longer wheelbase makes the trail smoother.

I just visited Deavers Springs in Santa Ana this afternoon and ordered my new long travel leaf springs.

Anyhow keep us posted and upload plenty of pictures. I'll be following!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Nice burb! It's cool to see all the love here! I'm in an old burb too, and it goes just about everywhere my jeep buddies can go... and frankly the longer wheelbase makes the trail smoother.

I just visited Deavers Springs in Santa Ana this afternoon and ordered my new long travel leaf springs.

Anyhow keep us posted and upload plenty of pictures. I'll be following!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban
Awesome! I've heard good things about Deaver. I love those big burbs!