1984 Ford Bronco Project

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Managed to get a little more done on the cage. I connected the A pillar of the body to the A pillar of the cage.

P1010078.JPG

P1010081.JPG

P1010076.JPG

I Also added some smaller diameter tubing for front gussets. I went smaller to keep it from getting in the way of climbing in and out.
I've been considering adding a corner gusset in the upper portion and then building some brackets or a shelf across the top in front to mount the visors in.

P1010074.JPG

P1010075.JPG

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Managed to get a little more done on the cage. I connected the A pillar of the body to the A pillar of the cage.

View attachment 114035

View attachment 114036

View attachment 114038

I Also added some smaller diameter tubing for front gussets. I went smaller to keep it from getting in the way of climbing in and out.
I've been considering adding a corner gusset in the upper portion and then building some brackets or a shelf across the top in front to mount the visors in.

View attachment 114039

View attachment 114040
Your one hell of a welder my friend. Your building a tank !!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Made some good progress this weekend. Managed to have some good family time and a little relaxation too. So good weekend.

I got the other gusset in on the drivers side.

P1010102.JPG

P1010106.JPG
And of course the passenger as well.

P1010103.JPG

P1010105.JPG

Well, just for good measure I decided to add some inside gussets of a smaller diameter.

P1010109.JPG

P1010110.JPG

P1010111.JPG

P1010112.JPG

Time for some more puzzle pieces. So out came the cardboard and then the plasma cutter. Ended up with a pile of these.

P1010114.JPG

I even managed to find them good homes!
P1010115.JPG

P1010117.JPG

P1010119.JPG

P1010121.JPG

P1010120.JPG

P1010122.JPG

I also made some more body tie ins for the B-pillar.

P1010127.JPG

P1010128.JPG

Along with a few extra body to cage tie ins in other locations. Now that the body and cage are all pretty solid its time to move on with the next stage. Time to get the drive train of the old green toy into the new "Adventure Bronco" as my kids have started to call it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Made some good progress this weekend. Managed to have some good family time and a little relaxation too. So good weekend.

I got the other gusset in on the drivers side.

View attachment 115645

View attachment 115648
And of course the passenger as well.

View attachment 115646

View attachment 115647

Well, just for good measure I decided to add some inside gussets of a smaller diameter.

View attachment 115649

View attachment 115650

View attachment 115652

View attachment 115653

Time for some more puzzle pieces. So out came the cardboard and then the plasma cutter. Ended up with a pile of these.

View attachment 115654

I even managed to find them good homes!
View attachment 115657

View attachment 115658

View attachment 115662

View attachment 115663

View attachment 115665

View attachment 115666

I also made some more body tie ins for the B-pillar.

View attachment 115669

View attachment 115670

Along with a few extra body to cage tie ins in other locations. Now that the body and cage are all pretty solid its time to move on with the next stage. Time to get the drive train of the old green toy into the new "Adventure Bronco" as my kids have started to call it.
It's a very impress rig and I hope before to long you will be enjoying all that work. Have you though any on entering it in a figure 8 race yet or some kind of a tough truck challenge ? LOL

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
It's a very impress rig and I hope before to long you will be enjoying all that work. Have you though any on entering it in a figure 8 race yet or some kind of a tough truck challenge ? LOL
Thanks, We hope to be enjoying it soon too. Racing it would be fun but we don't have much of that type of racing up here. Just circles and some straight line.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks, We hope to be enjoying it soon too. Racing it would be fun but we don't have much of that type of racing up here. Just circles and some straight line.
Oh Man your in the racing hub of the USA when it comes to mud bog and off road racing trucks. Those boot legers over there are something else when it comes to racing. I'm just joking about you racing but there some really good off road racing and competition events in your country.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Oh Man your in the racing hub of the USA when it comes to mud bog and off road racing trucks. Those boot legers over there are something else when it comes to racing. I'm just joking about you racing but there some really good off road racing and competition events in your country.
Most of the local mud racing is short and a little light on the mud. Unfortunately the new bronco probably won't get the same mud and water abuse the green one did. But anything is possible when the wife looks the other way! The old one has had water high enough in the cab to get the kids feet wet in the backseat.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Most of the local mud racing is short and a little light on the mud. Unfortunately the new bronco probably won't get the same mud and water abuse the green one did. But anything is possible when the wife looks the other way! The old one has had water high enough in the cab to get the kids feet wet in the backseat.
BETTER WEAR YOUR GALOSHES.

Reactions: Dakota Houligans

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Are you going to tie the plates that are bolted to the body down to the frame?
Before @Dakota Houligans answers your question I would like to know why you think he should ? At this point in his build, he would have to remove the body with cage in tact, fabricate mounting points everywhere he has the cage connected to the floor, then reinstall the body back on the frame, somehow connect the cage to those mounting points while completely ignoring the fact that the body has rubber cushioned body mounting points already, that would now be completely useless, and possibly be more dangerous to be in during a lightning event. Now, would you connect the cage to the frame ? Just my thinking on your question.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
@Lanlubber Funny you should mention the pulling the body part. I'm actually thinking I'll do that. Manly due to the fact that I have a complete and well build drive train ready to go with a bad body sitting out in my drive way. I'm thinking that swapping the body will be easier than pulling 2 engines, 2 transmission and transfer cases, 4 axles and then reinstalling it all back in the newer one. After conferring with a few car builders I know they agree that swapping the bodies at this point would be the easiest and fastest way to swap the entire drive train. And I have to say some good thoughts on the roll cage to frame connections.

@PeaksToPints Overlanding The bronco will also be my daily driver. So I haven't completely decided yet. Still rolling around ideas on how to attach it to the frame. One thought is to tie the front to into some rock sliders and the rear ones into the area around the rear spring mount. But as Lanlubber pointed out doing so solid mounted would negate the purpose of the body mounts making the whole body transfer more noise and vibration into the entire cabin. Had not even thought of the lightning strike idea. I've also been trying to think of a way to do it with bushings to reduce noise. But I need to come up with a way to mount in with a bushing that would add enough strength to make it worth the effort. The front 4 mounting plates are actually over very strong body joints where multiple panels come together and are reinforced. The front half of the cage is welded into the body to the point where it it almost part of the body. There is over 4 feet on each A pillar that the cage is welded to the body. Basically, I'm still rolling the ideas and reasons around still. So definitely open to input on reasons for or against frame tie in. And or ideas on how to do it and keep the vibration and noise down. Trying to meet the wife and kid's request to make it more comfortable on trips than the green monster.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
We did start pulling some of the front apart. Of course I had some high end mini help.

20190902_101037.jpg

20190902_102847.jpg

She managed to get all but 3 bolts out of the inner fender liners.

20190902_104525.jpg

20190902_104530.jpg

The she took off with my cordless ratchet to take the front grill and support off.
20190902_115202.jpg

20190902_115716.jpg

The "help" does slow the progress down but, it's fun to watch them learn and want to be involved.

20190902_204209.jpg

It was good to have both of them out helping again. Little man is a little to curious and crazy to have out there when I'm welding so far.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
We did start pulling some of the front apart. Of course I had some high end mini help.

View attachment 116188

View attachment 116189

She managed to get all but 3 bolts out of the inner fender liners.

View attachment 116190

View attachment 116191

The she took off with my cordless ratchet to take the front grill and support off.
View attachment 116192

View attachment 116193

The "help" does slow the progress down but, it's fun to watch them learn and want to be involved.

View attachment 116194

It was good to have both of them out helping again. Little man is a little to curious and crazy to have out there when I'm welding so far.
You know we have child labor laws here don't you . Teach um young cause when they grow up they don't even know you exist.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I managed to get the underside all cleaned up and a primed. I also reinforced the body mounts with some 3/16 plate. I was working after the kids went to bed and in a hurry so not too many pictures this go around.

View attachment 119293

And of course a few after the seam sealer and bedliner was on. It turned out pretty good.

View attachment 119294

View attachment 119295

View attachment 119296
I'm always impressed with your energy and attention to detail. When you're finished you can come work on my rig, it's not nearly as much work. LOL

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Thanks! Now and then I have to laugh at myself because I have OCD moments when working on projects. But on this one I'm blaming my accountant due to her request that this bronco be nicer, quieter, and more comfortable than the last one.