1983 GMC K2500

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Carroll
I had originally decided against building this truck as my trail and overland rig, but with some thought and the purchase of a different truck for towing use ('77 GMC Crewcab), I defaulted to this one. My dad bought this truck back around '97 when I was in junior high from the original owner. It was his personal truck and then I drove it in high school as well. Years later he had more trucks than he wanted to insure and plate and brought it down to me a couple hundred miles away. I have used it as a personal rig for around 10 years now trying to decide what direction I was going to take the truck. I have settled on a trail ready restoration (rust repair and raptor liner) and a full drivetrain swap and build for trail/overland use. I have been collecting parts for about 2 years and hope to start the actual build next year. Currently occupying space in my garage is a GM kingpin dana 60, GM NP205, GM Dana 70HD, and I just picked up a 6.2L L9H (LS) engine for the re-power of the truck. I am still looking for a cheap 4L80E for mach up and a core. That has most of my drivetrain taken care of. I still need to get lockers for both axles and I plan on rebuilding them both as well. They are 4:56 gear sets, so I saved some money there. I plan on trying to fit 37's with a little trimming in the front on 4" of lift. I will probably go with custom leaf springs from ORD to start, but may swap to coil-overs in the distant future. I also found a topper this Spring that is period correct and exactly what I was looking for. So that is more or less where my build currently sits, mostly in plan and parts gathering stage. I like to have all my main parts prior to starting a build. I may add some social media accounts just to focus where I post and store photos. I will update here if I proceed with that idea.

Cheers all!

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Alright! These old 70's and 80's square bodies were the prevalent in my youth. They were actually marketed as rounded body style, and if you look at previous generations you'll know why. This generation was in production for something like 16 years!

I love this generation and the GMT 400. But like I said these were everywhere when I was a kid, and THE k5 Blazer, my favorite vehicle of all time, was cut from this cloth. Great choice, great wheels, and great great colors! Theres not enough color choice in today's trucks - interior included - and there's certainly not enough brown!

I have a 2014 GMC k1500 and am on a quest for the 2014 base model, 7 spoke steel wheels so I can paint them white and put some all terrains on them. Then I'm planning to get a wide stripe down the sides exactly for the retro look that mimics the real deal that you have there.

I only have one question. Why not the crew cab for the overland build? Seems that way the dog has his own bench seat in the back while you and the significant other are comfy up front.

Anyway, nice truck and great lookin dog!

Reactions: Gannett Peak Garage

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Carroll
I only have one question. Why not the crew cab for the overland build? Seems that way the dog has his own bench seat in the back while you and the significant other are comfy up front.
The crew cab is getting a 12v Cummins swap and will be more of a daily type truck for me. I also didn't want to be on that long of a wheel base. The wife isn't real big on "roughing it", and the dog is getting old now and I just want to get it done while he is still here. He loves sitting in the front seat of this truck. There are a couple reasonably priced full convertiable Jimmy's in my area right now that I may and try and snag one. I would like to do a basic restomod on one for the wife's daily.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

"He loves sitting in the front seat of this truck."
Sh!t, Jabba, that's all you had to say!

It's great you have the skill to do those conversions.

We dont seem to have any K5's around here in the Northeast any more. Someday when I'm ready, I'll check south and west.

Reactions: Gannett Peak Garage

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Carroll
So I was able to pick this set of Turbine wheels up cheap ($100). A couple of them are a little rough, so I may still try and grab another set if I run across them to have one really clean set. But I have been looking for some for quite some time. They add a nice period correct feel to the truck build. If these don't end up working well during basic air downs on trails, I'll switch to some Waker Evan's beadlocks. I plan on running 37x12.5R16.5 Interco IROK's on them. 1610755349600.png

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Carroll
Picked up the last piece of drivetrain I was missing for this build today. Found this 4L80E down in Colorado for a good price and grabbed it. It needs rebuilt for $150 I don't think I could do better on one.
1615088580112.png

Last edited: