First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
Hello everyone!

I am looking to get input before I hand off my beloved FJ40 to the fabricator for some long needed TLC (pun intended).

Currently I have a Chevy V8 (albeit a tired V8) butted up to a SM465 4 speed coupled to the stock transfercase. I have an ARB locker in the rear and an Auburn LSD in the front. I have the stock, under the passenger seat 13 gallon fuel tank, front disk brakes (drum in the rear), and OME leaf spring suspension with 35" KO2 tires on 15" wheels.

Here is what I have on the pallets so far for the installer/fabricator. A new (normally aspirated) 350 ci V8 rated at 290 bhp and 370 fpt. Swapping out the SM465 for a GM NV4500 coupled to a 4:1 Orion transfer case. New universal joints front and rear. The Auburn comes out and an ARB locker goes in its place. Old ARB air compressor out, new dual tank ARB compressor in. A corvette master cylinder, disk brake conversion for the rear. All four corners get crossed drilled and slotted rotors. A 29 gallon front tank will replace the 13 gallon tank and an additional 25 gallon tank mounted between the frame rails behind the rear axle.

I will be adding a new dash console, heater/air conditioner unit, and update electronic package along with a dual battery setup to support the accessories. This is where I would like to pick a members brain on a heat shield. Off the V8 I have the Advance Adapter's headers that run outside the frame rails. The header pipes radiate a ton of heat and I have heated up brake fluid (now running synthetic), windshield wiper fluid bottle (melt the darn thing), and have cooked some vacuum hoses before I rerouted them. Any ideas on heat shielding concepts?

Also, since I am going with the NV450 and Orion combo, the stock, crappy drum e-brake won't work. For those who don't know, the FJ40's e-brake is attach at the output of the transfer case. The seal wears out and you get oil from the transfer case leaking out through the e-brake soaking the drum pads making the e-brake useless. Ideas and suggestions most welcome?

Also, I am looking to go to a 17" wheel, but it is tough to find the correct offset to clear tie rod ends. I remember a long time ago measuring from the hub to the tie rod and still had to add spacers. Any thoughts as to how best to measure the offset?

I appreciate all input. If you see something I have planned or did not plan... please let me know.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It sounds like a good package deal you are proposing... I love the FJ-40s btw... as for ebrake... you can get a disk brake conversion for the transfer case (not sure if that will make the rear drive shaft too short). The other option is a 4 wheel disc brake conversion... (this is the route we went with on my buddies 69 FJ-40) back in the 90’s. Last option... axle swap.

Reactions: Glacierdog

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
It sounds like a good package deal you are proposing... I love the FJ-40s btw... as for ebrake... you can get a disk brake conversion for the transfer case (not sure if that will make the rear drive shaft too short). The other option is a 4 wheel disc brake conversion... (this is the route we went with on my buddies 69 FJ-40) back in the 90’s. Last option... axle swap.
Thank you! Yes, I found the disc e-brake kit at Manafre and have talked with the folks there. That seems to be a viable option. Had I not already invested in my current front and rear axles. Hindsight right. A FJ60 rear axle would have been a good option.

I appreciate your input.