Contributor I

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Hey all,

I decided to devote my weekend to building a modular storage/sleeping system for my 2019 4Runner. Its broken down into 3 sections, the forward 60/40 and the rear dual drawer w/ lift up section where the 24" rollers dont reach. Everything locks together via French cleats and secured using the factory tie-downs rings. I still need to cover the top, but I'm split between bed liner and carpet. What are your guys thoughts?

20200602_185427.jpg
20200530_191739.jpg20200530_191723.jpg

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jr
Last Name
Bonetto
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WTF
This is nice! Good Choice on using Baltic Birch! As for covering it, I would lean towards some form of bedliner to help protect it from any moisture. That way you don't have to worry about the veneers separating should they end up getting wet. Durabak or Herculiner are pretty easy to work with.

Reactions: Ryan Sharp

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

That looks fantastic! I've been thinking of doing the same kind of set up for my '18 with two sets of the 60/40 section - one with and one without the seat bottoms removed. It looks like you've sealed the wood already. So, maybe wrap the upper surface pieces in a carpet that matches the dark gray interior, but leave the natural wood grain visible on the faces of the drawers? (if they take abuse, you could always hit'em with bedliner later) Maybe light colored carpet inside the drawers will make it easier to see contents in low light and deaden sound?

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Nice job! I used bed liner out of a spray can for a similar project on birch and it has held up well. It was a Rustoleum product. Of course it isn't tacky like carpet would be but I screwed on some L track and tie every thing down.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Nice grain on that plywood, and nice build!

I carpeted my drawer and it has worked well for many years. The benefits are that it looks factory from outside the vehicle, helps keep things from sliding around, and is a nice surface to sleep on if you plan to sleep in your rig. Downsides are that it is a bit harder to slide things in and out then on some other surfaces.

saillakeerie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Chagrin Falls
Member #

Looks sweet, I built a platform just to level out the drop in the cargo area (so no drawers but there is pull out table for lunch stops). I did mine in bed liner and glued interlocking foam gym flooring to the top with tiedowns inset into the foam so with out rings its flat.

IMG_1302.jpg