18650-powered Lanterns?

• HTML tutorial

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

I'm on a mission to standardize most of my electronic camping gear with 18650 batteries. I'm installing an 18650 charger in my rig to keep a handful of cells always charged.

I'm looking for a lantern that runs off of 18650 cells, preferably something that isn't too expensive. The Fenix lanterns look pretty nice (and I love my Fenix flashlights), but they're a little pricey. I may also consider retrofitting my D-cell Coleman lantern to take 18650's.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@FX4Bob

A friend brought a Goal Zero Lantern along last year. It was nice and I think powered by an 18650.
I also like my http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/lr10, It's not 18650 based but my NiteCore 18650 charger has a USB port to charge it (or any other USB device).

I usually just perch my 18650 powered pocket torch on top of my water bottle if I want to light up the area.

Boort

Reactions: FX4Bob

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I've been using a Subos Ultimate Tent Lantern for a while and really like it. In fact a bought a second one recently. They make a couple of different versions. The one I like uses 2 18650's and can be charged via USB on the side of the lantern.

-Curtiss

Reactions: FX4Bob

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

@Boort - The GoalZero Mini Lantern looks pretty awesome. It's a little more than I was hoping to spend, but GoalZero stuff seems to be top quality.

@phxdsrtrat - That Subos lantern looks like it might be a winner. From the description on Amazon, it can take either 2 18650's or 3 AA batteries. I like that flexibility, and the $22 price tag can't be beat.

Thanks guys!

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Saw a dude with these on my last outing.

Kinda cool because they're magnetic and he just stuck one on the side of his struck and it functioned as a pretty good camp light.

Wendy Ang

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phlippines
First Name
Wendy
Last Name
Ang
Member #

this is usb rechargeable but very small and powerful, the bottom is magnetic so you can stick it on to any metallic surface like your door, i always bring this to camp and travels:
https://amzn.to/2m1PHNz

Mustdoug

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Troy IL. (outside St.Louis Mo)
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Johnson
This is what I’ve been using for the last couple of years. Have to say wasn’t sure how I would like them in the beginning, but turned out to love them. Only problem was I ended up giving one to a buddies daughter, then mom, then one turned up missing on a job site lol. Such is life. Super simple to turn on. Just lift the light with the handles from the base. Oh buy the way I have no affiliation with this company.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk