'18 Toyota Tacoma Coco

• HTML tutorial

cocodataco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whats up y'all, my Name is Jeff and this is my Tacoma build. Probably a forever build. But will outfit it as I continue to explore. ;] This is my first overland build and feedback or friendship is greatly appreciated. My wife and I have been dreaming of getting our first truck and now we have her.

2018 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road DCSB
Super White

Camping:
- Tepui Ayer RTT
- Tepui Awning
- BAMF Low Profile RTT Bed Rack
- 2 Plano Boxes for Camping Gear
- Coleman folding Table
- Coleman two burner stove (passed down from my dad)
- Camco Big Red Campfire/Grill
- Reliance 7-Gal Aqua-Tainer
- Waterport 3.5gal shower
- Stanley Pots, Pans, Coffee
- GSI folding Pan
- Collapsable Wash bin

Navigation
- 6th Gen iPad, Cellular
- Gaia GPS maps

Recovery Gear:
- Boulder Tools Tire deflator
- Viair 400p Compresor
- Shovel
- Axe
- Rotopax 4gal Gasoline
- NOCO GB40 100amp Jump starter

Lighting/Electrical:
- Yellow LED fogs
- 32" Behind grill Amber/white light bar
- Blue Seas aux 12 fuse panel
- Paranoid fabrications engine bay panel

Next/Future upgrades:
- Full suspension
- Sliders (BAMF or RCI)
- Skids (RCI alu or Steel)
- Lights (rock lights, work lights, fog and headlight upgrade)
- Blue Seas Below deck electrical panel
- Expedition Essentials TPAM with RAM mounts
- Expedition Essentials Truck bed OBA
- Nitro Gears (4.88)

Here's a photo of when my wife and I picked out our truck.
F326DF2B-94AB-42B6-925C-608A19D66036.JPG

My first few mods have been camping related. Looking to see how this truck favors in its stock configuration until I get more miles and trips in the books. Looking forward to meeting you on the trails! Ordered my RTT Bed Rack and Tepui RTT from Bay Area Metal Fabrication in Benicia, CA. I actually just picked up my rack today, and was super stoked to get everything setup! Won't be hitting the road till next week, but just had to make sure everything was good to go before I needed to make any adjustments.

B41EBA9E-ED11-4EBD-9A7D-4E6363ABF6A5.JPG

Last edited:

cocodataco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

OB, it has been a while since I've been on here. But I have been out exploring and making some minor changes to the truck. I have since gone on a few trips first up North to Usal Beach and spent a night camping with my wife. We enjoyed our stay there but made our trek up into Oregon to visit a few friends. We did some off-roading through Mt.Hood National Forest and had a blast. Spent a full day exploring. Then made it back home and headed towards Pismo Beach, CA.

Usal Beach, Mendocino County, CA
61A9FD01-00A6-41A2-A969-74503C4311B4.jpeg
Mt. Hood National Forest with my Buddy @ridet4r
image.png
Pismo Beach, Oceano Dunes, CA
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 9.44.29 AM.png

cocodataco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

After my eventful week traveling up and down the West Coast, a few things made it in the mail. Primarily for aesthetics, I received my faux TRD Pro grill. I really wanted to get ride of the chrome up front and this was a simple option even with the TSS.
32D852B1-59CC-4C8F-8CCA-1D3B6C002D21.jpeg
Found the grill on Amazon and it cost me about $100, plus a $54 garnish to allow for the TSS to work. Picked up the garnish from a friend who works at the local dealership.

I then started planning some minor things that I wish I had on my last few trips and how I would tackle some of those projects. Couple of things that came to mind was a USB, and 12v dc outlet in the back of my truck bed that had the ability to be constantly on. Second was some sort of camp or work lights for night time use.

Purchased the following for the future changes:
- Blue Seas Aux fuse panel (not installed)
- Paranoid Fab engine bay fuse panel tray (not installed)
- Caliraised LED Switch Panel
- Iztoss and Mictuning Toyota Switches
IMG_0024.jpeg
I personally love working on small electrical projects which is why I got a head start on this even without accessories. My biggest thing when it comes to any of my electrical projects is cleanliness and wire management. So investing time now will save me time in the future. I would love to eventually get myself a Switch-pros panel and SDHQ mount to replace the current Caliraised Panel to the left of the steering wheel. But we will address that as I figure out what other accessories I need for the truck.

Reactions: Russell Peters

cocodataco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I had the opportunity to win a set of wheels and tires from Instagram through a giveaway hosted by OverlandMarketUSA and Bustabeatgeorge (Instagram accounts).

I won a complete set of Volks TE37X in Matte Black and BFG 285/75R16. Only caveat to winning the wheels and tires was that I needed to pick up the set from Southern California. Let me tell you I've always wanted a set of TE37's for all of my other cars and it was a dream come true to have a set for the Tacoma. I personally was not even considering these as an option when I got my Tacoma just due to price per wheel. So I made the trip down and back the next Saturday.F9A94367-56D3-4594-BBA6-F80020CE0256-1.jpeg
As I was down there George had a few LED bars that he was testing out and also gave me a set to try out for my truck.
Picked up a Caliraised behind the grill bar to get the bar installed. I was going on a short trip to Hollister Hills with my dad and brother, so I wasn't able to get the wheels and tires installed however got the LED bar installed. Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.15.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 8.30.09 PM.png
32" Single row LED Lightbar with Amber/White. It was a tight fit, but came out nicely was a huge help when we got into Hollister Hills late the night after. Spent two nights camping a day wheeling through the SVRA. Had a blast.
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.15.23 AM.png
BE24C8E0-7E5B-430A-8BF4-76758B080D99.jpg 60F810CE-C777-4C2B-8BE8-878BDF02ECC9.JPG Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.19.23 AM.png

Reactions: Chadlyb

cocodataco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Following our short trip to Hollister Hills SVRA, it was on to wheels and tires. I decided to go with a temporary solution to level the truck on Supreme Suspensions 2" leveling kit. Wanted to see what things I would need to do with the new wheel setup and start saving for a more permanent suspension.
IMG_0292.JPG
After getting the leveling kit installed, we took the truck to The Shop in San Bruno to get the wheels mounted, balanced, and a complete alignment.
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
I do live by the Ocean, so i typically remove by bed rack and RTT from the truck immediately after any trip. I've built a pulley system that removes each one and stores in my garage ready to be lowered right before another trip. Rust is a problem here in the SF Bay Area.
Once the wheels an tires were complete the truck looks amazing an drive well considering the 33s and no cmc. Will probably see some issues when I am aired down, which will lead me to do a CMC myself in the next month or two. My wife and I are working on our kitchen now officially and the garage is full of appliances, and funding for truck upgrades is put on hold..again.
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 8.29.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 8.29.41 PM.png

Up next for the truck:
- Full suspension
- Rock Sliders
- Full skids (these stock ones have already taken a beating, but hopefully once the new suspension gets in we'll focus on that shortly after)
- HIDs and Baja fogs Upgrade

Reactions: Russell Peters

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Does your truck have adaptive cruise control? If so when you put that grille on did it mess anything up? We want to swap grilles also.

Zeroviz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wayne, NJ
First Name
John
Last Name
St. Denis
Member #

You and I have a Twins only difference is i have a 2017.......Pretty much same gear has well.....Great looking truckIMG_2991.jpeg