17 JKU Rubicon Recon Build

• HTML tutorial

felixkb76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Moving from a built 09 JKU on Prorock 60"s and 40"s to a 17 JKU Rubicon Recon more geared towards overlanding.
View attachment 29841

I decided on the Recon since it has the upgraded Dana 44 front axle over the normal Rubicon which I wouldn't have to worry about the C's bending and doing alot of work to strengthen the housing like gussets and trusses. I found this Jeep in the Gobi color with all the options along with 4.10 gears so hopefully I dont have to regear in the future.
Sweet truck!
What else are you gonna do to it?

gobi_recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

drivetrain: chromoly axle shafts all the way around and gears at some point.
exterior: after market fenders to give some room for the tires since i'm only running 3" of lift
overlanding gear: front runner: half roof rack, cargo slide, tailgate table and rear cargo shelf. rotopax mounts
misc: bearcat 880 cb, factor 55, skid plates

Bulldog22

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette, Louisiana 70503
Member #

How are the Grapplers working out? I am looking into those or the Mickey's in 35's. Probably only do a 2.5 lift because the Recon already has a .5 inch over the Rubicon. All I have now is the Maximus 3, Smitty 9500 and 1.5 spacers. Build list is long. Gonna be a long process.IMG_0785.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

gobi_recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clayton, NC
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Tires have done pretty good so far, going in this week for the first rotate and balance. I will report back if they needed to add any weight or not.