San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336
Assuming the outside tire diameter is the same (33”), is there a benefit to running a 17” wheel vs my stock 20” wheel.

I won’t be doing any expert level trails. Mainly beginner to intermediate trails. I’m driving an F-150 super crew.

I’m trying to decide if I need to start saving for wheels. Haha.

Thanks,
Jeff

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the reply. Good point in safety. I didn’t even think about dinging the rim.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't know what size breaks you have, the Mfgs are making breaks larger in diameter to improve stopping. I have to run 17" on my truck because of the breaks.
You will not be able to airdown much with a 20' wheel. When you airdown the tire acts as a bit of a shock absorber. Fill you tire as hard as it will go and drive over a speed bump, then drop it 30% and do the same. you'll feel it.

Reactions: Big Blue

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That makes sense. So being able to air down more (volume wise) has its benefits. I’ll check my brakes, too. I think it should clear a 17” wheel.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, i see a good bit of folk go from 20" to 16" just to get that bigger sidewall, which makes sense for offroad...i have stock 20s and went with a Toyo tire that is right at 34" and that is great for me doing 95% highway and 5% semi-rough roads. I got an extra couple inches clearance over the stock tires and the little extra sidewall does make a smoother ride on dirt roads. If was was going rock crawling, i would probably go with 15" rims and have a lot of meat on the tires

Last edited:

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for all the input. I’m new to the offroad world and just trying to understand everything.

Reactions: grubworm

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

A smaller wheel give the sidewalk more range to flex. This not only improves rode quality, but also traction as the tire can flex around an obstacle.
also for a second kind of coolness, it makes you tire look bigger than they actually are. A 35 on a 17 inch wheel look similar to a 40 on a 20 inch wheel from a short distance.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
17's ride better, more sidewall.

17's weigh less. A hair less work for inadequate shocks to handle.

17's have a better tire selection, but 20's might have an oddball 35 with good weight capacity that 17's can't match.

Any wheel over 18'' is a street queen wheel.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

ALSO :

With 17" tires you have a much wider choice of tire to choose from and 17s tend to cost less then 18" and up sizes.

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks everyone. The info is very helpful.

How about for driving in snow? Is it still the same fundamentals? Air down for a smoother ride? Especially if chains are still needed.