Rank 0

Contributor I

Wilmington
First Name
Nestor
Last Name
salazar
I'm looking at this trailer to buy
15" rim trailer .. vs upgrading my current carry all thx. It's smaller and has a high metal wall which will help me with storage and a strengthened tongue already

Tires on it at are p215 75 15
I'm looking to put AT tires for better sidewall puncture on the logging roads I'm taking it on. Not for grip or such .

But ...
2 questiona

1-
If I get a wildpeak 215/75/15 on it will the tire still fit ? Width wise ? Not the tread. But would the sidewall bulge out a bit to rub? I guess I could always put hub extenders ?

2- are there any "trailer tires " that have better sidewall protection ? Vs me buying wildpeaks for example

Ben_There_82

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Ben
Last Name
Matney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm looking at this trailer to buy
15" rim trailer .. vs upgrading my current carry all thx. It's smaller and has a high metal wall which will help me with storage and a strengthened tongue already

Tires on it at are p215 75 15
I'm looking to put AT tires for better sidewall puncture on the logging roads I'm taking it on. Not for grip or such .

But ...
2 questiona

1-
If I get a wildpeak 215/75/15 on it will the tire still fit ? Width wise ? Not the tread. But would the sidewall bulge out a bit to rub? I guess I could always put hub extenders ?

2- are there any "trailer tires " that have better sidewall protection ? Vs me buying wildpeaks for example
I’ve towed mine from coast to coast many times with standard highway trailer tires. With those same tires I’ve went up and down forest service roads and logging roads all with excessive weight hauling firewood rounds. Thousands of miles on highways, interstates, country roads. If I had to guess how many miles of dirt those same tires saw, would be over a thousand miles of pure dirt and gravel use. Of course if you’re boon-docking and not careful and beat it to death anything will fail. Personally, I’d say run what ya got and upgrade a little at a time later.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Trailer tires are designed for load bearing. The sidewalls are tougher then passenger rated tires (P) but similar to light truck tires (LT). Running trailer tires in the dirt isn't bad, they hold up much better then passenger tires. An issue people run into is not all tires are the same. You can get car tires with sidewalls that rival heavy truck tires and offroad tires that have very weak sidewalls. You need to ask yourself, what is this going to be used for and where is most of the driving being done. If its predominantly highway and very light off road, trailer tires will have less drag on the street. My trailers are more toys and wont see very much long highway driving.

Another factor is size availability. Trailer tires are going to be limited in their sizing, more so then off road tires. You also need to pay strict attention to the weight rating on anything you buy. Mostly, the higher the weight rating, the stronger the sidewall. If you go by the letter code, a "C" tire will have less load rating and considerable less sidewall strength then a "D" or an "E" with the "E" being the higher rating.

Rim width vs tire, how wide are the rims? You would be surprised what you can get away with. I tend to run a narrower rim on my trailers. This reduces the amount of tire on the ground and reduces drag slightly. Also, taller tires will roll over obstacles better than shorter tires.

Research every aspect of what your building. A properly designed trailer will function well on the dirt and street. Don't use only one site for your information. Compare what you see and find out why people disagree on certain things. Trailer designs have evolved over the years and some sites still post old tech. Old tech still works but new works better.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

i went with these general grabber a/tx all season tires. the tread looks very similar to bfg all terrain ko2's and the generals are cheaper. i decided to do all terrain tires not so much for the tread being all season, but more so that the way the all seasons are built on the side walls seem a to be built with more resistance to sidewall abrasions and punctures than a typical trailer tire. the other thing is speed rating. trailer tires don't seem to typically have a higher speed rating than normal passenger or lt tires do. i'm not setting speed records, but it is nice that i can go the 80 mph speed limit through states like utah when its straight and out in the middle of nowhere, not having to worry if i'm stressing the tires at that speed for prolonged periods of time. so far i've had the tires a couple years and have been very happy with them.

Attachments