15 Silverado very High Country

• HTML tutorial

Ross Hoffman

Rank 0

Contributor II

View attachment 58599 Took the truck and some buddies out to the San Juan's checked out the alpine loop and clear lake north of mineral springs camp site.
I did find out I need better storage solutions and also some dust proof containers.

View attachment 58596 View attachment 58597 View attachment 58598
Ajwcotton,

What portions of the Alpine Loop did you run in that high country? I have a 17 F250 FX4, 2.5" level and 37" tires and I'm trying to find places I know I can go and camp. I'm coming all the way from Texas so planning as much as possible.

Reactions: Camp_Llama

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
I did the entire loop. The only thing to be mindful of is your length. A dude in a 2 door jeep said I would have trouble, I had to do a couple 3pt turns, but there wasn't any terrain that a full size pickup couldn't handle.

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Black bear pass isn't on the alpine loop the loop has engineer and cinnamon passes. Black bear goes down into Telluride

Last edited:
Reactions: Ross Hoffman

Ajwcotton

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Kansas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RIE
Did some camping just south of clear lake let me check the site. It was primitive but very nice and good view. The couple hr trip up to clear lake was worth the view for sure.

South mineral campground was the name.

As long as there isn't snow or a ton of rain to wash out the trail you should be fine. Also in the 4x4 season there are constantly vehicles coming and going everywhere if you do get into trouble.

Reactions: Ross Hoffman