Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Wondering who uses a CB, just getting an idea of set ups and if any one is using one?
I run a Cobra 148GTL with a Wilson 1000 whip antenna. Not a big fan of fiberglass antennas...you can pick my brain at the meet-up.
A lot of folks are getting their HAM incenses...I am a CB guy but am thinking about it because CB is dying off and there a ton of dirtbags on CB these days.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Wondering who uses a CB, just getting an idea of set ups and if any one is using one?
I run a Cobra 148GTL with a Wilson 1000 whip antenna. Not a big fan of fiberglass antennas...you can pick my brain at the meet-up.
A lot of folks are getting their HAM incenses...I am a CB guy but am thinking about it because CB is dying off and there a ton of dirtbags on CB these days.
Hey NIGHTCRAWLER, I'll take you up on that offer. Looking forward to Saturday......

We are going slow on our build, as we are newbies & don't want to add stuff that we later find out wasn't the best choice for how we want to use our rig. I know there can be a bit of "personal preference" in the decision making process, but I've always felt it was smart to see what others have done/not done & why before making a final decision. One of our adventures will be doing the Baja Peninsula top to bottom & I know VHF is the way to go south of the border, so I'm very interested in the dual band radios. Curious to your preference in antennas............

Hope to see ya on Saturday, Glen

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Thanks KAOTIC OVERLAND........ See ya there. I'll be in my wife's Black 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4-D. A 3" lift kit is the only mod so far, but I'm working on it. It's her daily commuter, so she's a bit hesitant to let me do too much to it. All I had to do was promise her I would wash/wax it when I got home & she let me take it.

Actually, this will be the first time it's been on anything that resembles a dirt road & the last thing I want to do is put a dent or scratch in it. She's never really forgiven me for running her brand new Suzuki Sidekick into a 30' tall cactus in Baja and denting the hood.

Not sure how to correct it, but just realized I put VHF & not UHF in my previous post regarding the preferred frequency for Baja.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Glen great to meet you - looking forward to seeing your van!.

Great to see very one else too and Rem glad Kathy and I showed up to see you!

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
We had a much smaller crew than signed up today. Was glad to meet some new folks and see some familiar ones too. Daryl, thanks for the pointing us in the right direction...now I know the loop too so next time will be a piece of cake.

Thanks to the rest of the crew that went up and over Santiago Peak. We had a little traffic, but all in all not as bad as I thought it would be for a weekend. I have heard stories of hundreds of trucks on the trail...that would be infuriating for me.

A little vid...https://photos.app.goo.gl/CgJagvh2hfRwVMxm2

Last edited:

F150_RUNNER

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

corona CA
First Name
BRIAN
Last Name
MENZIES
Member #

I figured that would happen if I didn't go, that someone would go off road. Sorry I missed it I was down in San Diego for school. Any talks for next time yet? I'll make sure to be there next time.

Cpt.Hook

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

8520 Rolling Hills Drive, Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Jeffery
Last Name
Hook
Member #

Hello, new member Glen here. I actually talked my wife into letting me use her jeep for this event while our van is in the shop. Looking forward to meeting everyone & beginning our journey into the overland experience.
Glen
Sorry I missed ya Saturday, I came down with a bug and had to stay home that day. How was the trip?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late response. I'm slowly starting to figure out how things work here...........

Just joined & am "officially" Member #9899.

Hello CPT. HOOK, I Chickened out on the trip over the hill. Partly due to the late start & partly due to not wanting to risk putting the first scratches in my wife's jeep. Next time I'll either be in my truck or my van. Definitely interested in doing something next month.

It was great to meet everyone on Saturday. It looks like the rest of the trip went well. I'm looking forward to getting out there again.

See you all soon..........

Last edited:

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
We will be making a run to Prescott to visit my Mom dose that count? LOL

Hope you all have a great time.
I am heading out to see Mom and watch some baseball in Peoria mid-month...I am hoping to find a meet-up or run while I am out there.
See ya at the next meet @Daryl 32...have a safe trip!

Cpt.Hook

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

8520 Rolling Hills Drive, Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Jeffery
Last Name
Hook
Member #

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the late response. I'm slowly starting to figure out how things work here...........

Just joined & am "officially" Member #9899.

Hello CPT. HOOK, I Chickened out on the trip over the hill. Partly due to the late start & partly due to not wanting to risk putting the first scratches in my wife's jeep. Next time I'll either be in my truck or my van. Definitely interested in doing something next month.

It was great to meet everyone on Saturday. It looks like the rest of the trip went well. I'm looking forward to getting out there again.

See you all soon..........
Sounds good, been overly busy. But lets try a local run late in the month?

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I would like to , but it is a very busy month and I have to be out of town for a funeral this weekend. how does the 29th sound?
Sounds good to me. I will be back from AZ by then...so I should be able to make it.